Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Our unit has a factory generated "window sticker" listing all the options and a final total MSRP. That figure was $69,500. We paid $55,000. That's about 20% off the MSRP, and I believe that is around the middle or consensus of what most people pay.

My observation about trailer dealers is that it costs a LOT of money to operate a good dealership, and the sales volume is relatively low compared to cars. That means the profit per trailer has to be quite substantial to make it work out for the owners. Our dealer had around 30 employees. Can you imagine the fixed cost of that each month? And then you have your property and maintenance costs, advertising, insurance, and so on. I would guess that on our $69,500 trailer, the dealer grossed about $10,000. My guess would be that he builds his business model around that kind of profit. If he gets a bit more from some, and a bit less from others, he will do ok.

We negotiated directly with 3 dealers for the same trailer and options, plus or minus a few hundred dollars. Interestingly, the "final best price" from all three dealers was within $2,500. That tends to confirm the idea that around 20% off MSRP is a pretty good target.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
20%

)

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I find the comments regarding the dealers and how much they need to make off the sale extremely interesting. EVEN when selling 20% off MSRP they are still around.....hhmmmmmm I wonder why. Do they sell other units at MSRP to cover the "loss" on a 20% discounted unit?? Now I would hate to buy a unit and then see the dealership going down a year or two later. So let's be realistic.

I'm sure they have a floating benchmark for the total units needed to sell and still make a decent profit every month. I'm not surprised at all when I see any RV priced over $100k MSRP marked down to $79k. They are still making money somewhere in the matrix. Trust me they might not eat filet mignon off your sale but that next guy is going to fill their belly. Most dealers sell more than one brand so their sales mix helps maintain the monthly bills and fill their own pockets with extra cash.

I count 4 different brands/types of RVs sold at Colonial in NJ. They know their market, provide a great product, back it all up with good sales and service. In the end the numbers play to their advantage.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
My experience, you should be able to get anywhere from 15-20% based on all the factors mentioned above.
Good lucK on your purchase. No matter what you finally pay, rest assure that you will enjoy the Airstream
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
They are still making money somewhere in the matrix. Trust me they might not eat filet mignon off your sale but that next guy is going to fill their belly. Most dealers sell more than one brand so their sales mix helps maintain the monthly bills and fill their own pockets with extra cash.
I'm kind of cynical about salesmen, having known an automobile dealer in my hometown since he was in high school, long before he inherited the family business. I've heard from him about a lot of the tricks that dealers use to nickle-and-dime their profits out of every sale, even if they are supposedly selling "at cost." Some of those methods are sneaky. Some are despicable. But they're all legal, and they all work, on a significant fraction of customers who don't know any better.

But in all fairness, the only people who are in business to lose money are farmers, who buy everything for retail prices and sell everything for wholesale prices. Everybody else is in business to make money. That includes the dealer, the salesmen who work on commission, the jurisdiction that property taxes are owed to, the utility company that the dealer pays to keep the lights on in his lot, etc. Everybody from the salesman to the Federal Government gets their slice of what you paid.

It's a truism that any vehicle or RV you buy is worth 10% less than you paid for it, the monent you take it off the dealer's lot. The reason for that is because the dealer's overhead charges and his profit, that are part of what you paid, are not part of your new acquisition's value. Absolutely guaranteed, you paid more for it than it's worth, and probably around 10% more. Even if you buy it supposedly "at cost" the dealer will find a way to ensure that his expenses and profit are included in the price you pay.

In fact, a savvy buyer will take a look at this year's and last year's NADA books, and see how much the value of his dream vehicle has dropped in one year for last year's model. Then he'll adjust the price of this year's model down an equivalent amount. The result will be very close to the dealer's actual wholesale price. I won't say close to "dealer's invoice" because (1) they'll never show you the invoice; and (2) even if you saw an invoice, how can you be sure that's what they actually paid? "Dealer invoice" is a vague, amorphous term that means almost as little as does "MSRP." Anybody who ate at a nice restaurant on the company's dime, and got an inflated receipt for tax or reimburesement purposes knows that an invoice doesn't always match the disbursement.

But it's also true that "Mammon, the patron saint of salesmen" sometimes sends them a customer who doesn't negotiate— or at least doesn't negotiate well— and pays far more than he should without realizing it. Often because the poor customer "falls in love" with his soon-to-be purchase and makes the mistake of letting the salesman know it.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I found it a bit funny how at the end of the sale I had to sign a paper saying that I denied the extended warranty...it gives an interesting impression....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I found it a bit funny how at the end of the sale I had to sign a paper saying that I denied the extended warranty...it gives an interesting impression....
Hi, That's proof to the management that the salesperson attempted an up-sale. [also a ploy to make you think about changing your mind] Accessories, details, warranties, financing, and many more are how they get that 20% discount back and sometimes even more. And their biggest profit maker is your trade-in.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
And their biggest profit maker is your trade-in.
Usually when the customer foolishly allows the salesman to negotiate price including trade-in, rather than negotiating price first, then negotiating trade-in separately. The dealer gets the trade-in for almost nothing.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A chap at a dealer stated the gravy comes from the trailer/vehicle sales. The operational overhead costs of the entire operation are covered in the service and parts departments.

Kind of explains the $100+ per hour service charge for employees making just above minimum wage...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I think it is structured like this. The numbers may vary, but the concept is:

Retail Sticker Price: $100,000
Average Selling Price: $80,000
Real Net Invoice Cost**: $70,000

Trailers are not purchased by the dealer. They are purchased by the dealer's bank. The bank charges a flooring charge for each month it is on the dealer's lot. The flooring charge is based on current interest rates, which are VERY LOW. For today, call it 2% a year. So, on a $70,000 invoice, they are paying about $120 a month to have it on the lot. When it finally sells for $80,000, the banker gives the dealer $10,000 minus all finance charges. Let's say 5 months at $120 a month = $600, so the dealer would get $9400 as his gross profit.

This is why they can have so many trailers on the lot. A good dealer with good credit can have as many trailers as they want. Banks are flush with money to loan.

I think a good dealer would need to be making about $10,000 or so on a big trailer. My dealer had more than 35 employees. That is a TON of overhead to be paid for, and we know there has to be a significant profit left over. Buildings, taxes, benefits, insurance, it really adds up. No dealer is selling any trailer at "cost" - that's an absurdity.

** Net invoice is not that phony paper they drag out to show the buyer. That invoice is a Gross Invoice. It doesn't represent rebates, promotions, dealer volume discounts, advertising allowances and many things that will reduce the dealer's payment.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Usually when the customer foolishly allows the salesman to negotiate price including trade-in, rather than negotiating price first, then negotiating trade-in separately. The dealer gets the trade-in for almost nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post

** Net invoice is not that phony paper they drag out to show the buyer. That invoice is a Gross Invoice. It doesn't represent rebates, promotions, dealer volume discounts, advertising allowances and many things that will reduce the dealer's payment.
Hi, this pretty much covers how it works.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We received an equitable deal locally from Airstream Adventures NW in the Portland area. We traded in a fifth wheel……even tho we "got a great deal", let's be honest: they had to make a sufficient profit to remain in business……BUT the main benefit for us is that we "bonded" with the sales and service departments ( even the owners--who are terrific folks) .

If I call and cite a problem, the service department will usually have me come in the SAME day! SERVICE and FOLLOWUP…..don't discount those advantages with your purchase. ZIGI
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
My problem is that there are no Airstream dealers in Ga. for me to bond with. ...

Apparantly Georigians are too poor to support an Airstream dealership.
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where in GA? Closer to which states? We drove 4 hours to by ours.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
My problem is that there are no Airstream dealers in Ga. for me to bond with. ...

Apparantly Georigians are too poor to support an Airstream dealership.

If someone lives in say ATL (just as an example) you are very far from any dealer...outdoorsmart, bates, foley.....they used to do a bit over there in anniston, AL, but dandy (as I understand) would not agree to keep enough on the lot for AS to continue to keep them on....

long drive- depending on where in GA, it could mean well over 5 hours or more to closest dealer?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #36
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
In the end if the deal suits you the papers will get signed or for some cash is exchanged. I for one focus on "my price" and what works for my budget. As long as I get to my goal the dealer can have whatever they make off the sale. I'm ITCHING to get to that point to close on a AS. I just need a little more time and it's off to the dealer lot to play the game.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
We've been to the AS in TNN. They had two Sports and four Flying Clouds. Flying Clouds are thier, 'Sweet Spot'.
Damn this addiction I've aquired. ....
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote