Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Bainbridge , Georgia
'67 Sovereign International opportunity

I have found an Airstream that is in need of a total rework, but it is only around $500. The body is in very good shape (only one dent) and most of the original cabinets and bath are there.
The only reason I hesitate, I was wanting a '70's Ambassador with vista view windows.
Do you think I should jump on this or not? I am not afraid of the work and be have a reasonable expectation of what is involved.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_173532.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	306829
scullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: Glad you are interested in renovating an old Airstream. The trailer in the photo is a project indeed. The price reflects the "as is" condition.

This old 68 Sovereign is the "International" trim level meaning it was the top of the line trailer. It is the last year of the "old" body style. The new body started in 69. Some say the older body style is more "vintage" looking and thus more valuable. The cabinetry in this trailer was very nice veneers compared to the base model. Some folks say the 68 trailers will be classics. That said, the longer trailers are not as popular as the cute little ones. It may be more difficult to get your investment back out of a longer trailer judging by the classifieds. The mid sixties trailers had unique windows and some other hard to find parts. I did extensive work on a 66 Trade Wind base model.

The 70 Ambassador is nice too. The new body style had rear body to frame sealing problems causing rotted rear subfloors and rear end separation; which can lead to damaged frames. The vista view windows were prone to leaks causing more floor damage. I now have a 75 Overlander that did not come with vista view windows. That was a plus for me. But it did have rotted rear subfloor and rear end separation. I've repaired all that. I was looking for a project trailer.

If the windows in the 68 are there, and most of the interior is there (used as patterns for new pieces as required) and maybe you are prepared for a "body off" frame renovation, I think the 68 would be worth more when done.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	306838   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	306839  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
welcome to the forums, i agree with David; it's not an impossable project. remember bto check the floor corners and doorway for rot. not so much plastic in these years as in some newer units. good on whatever you decide. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Bainbridge , Georgia
Thanks

Thank you for your input, gives me something to think about.
The way I am leaning now is to get this trailer, start working on it while I continue to look for the "perfect" one for us. This one should give me some good experience so when I get another one that fits our wants better, I will have some better ideas of how and what to do to make it better.
I figure I can sell the '68 (or '67) when I find what I really want.
scullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I recommend you proceed with caution. Don't leap at this trailer just because it is cheap.

Every "full rennovation" eats up many months/years of time. If this trailer isn't "The One," then pass it by and let someone for whom it is The One take it on as a project. You run the risk of either pouring tons of work and money into a trailer that you already know you don't love, or getting half way done with it, and finding the trailer you do love, in which case you are trying to sell an aborted project.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign