Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

2004 25' Safari
Harleysville , Pennsylvania
Question 2004 Airstream Travel Trailers Safari 25

Hi,

My wife and I are considering buying an Airstream and found this one from a local dealer. It is in pristine condition and checking other sites the price seems reasonable.

We have dreamed of hitting the open road but with the reality now facing us, we are second guessing how much we would really use it since we are both still working (fortunately in this economy).

We are in our early 50's with both kids off and on their own. We have 2 dogs that will keep us company.

We are hoping people can share their experiences and how much and where they use their Airstream. Do you take vacations without it? Do you always haul it or do you use a 'seasonal' site?

THanks

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We are in exactly the same position as you, except one dog. My wife teaches school so we use the AS a LOT from June - August and do a couple weekends a month in April - May and Sept - Oct. Next year we'll take a week and go south in March while her school is on spring break. We just traded up last July into an AS. This timing allows for it to be paid for by the time we retire. I'd guess we spent 50 - 70 nights a year in our trailer(s). About the same when the kids were young. Had a dry spell when they were high school age. It's all about them during those years.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sorry, we always haul it.
Once in awhile we fly somewhere for a long weekend in the winter, but pretty much are exclusive to AS when weather allows...(no Nov - sometime in March) as we do not have the luxury of being able to arrive home beyond plan due to a weather event.

We almost exclusively use State and Federal campgrounds.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

2004 25' Safari
Thanks, my wife is a teacher as well so we expect to be able to use it more in the summer. What type of vehicle do you use? We would need to get a new vehicle and would want to take the dogs.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My personal TV is a 2000 1/2 ton Express van. A little anemic in any hills, but around the midwest it's bearable. BUT, I have the luxury of using various company cars, which, most of the time, I can spec out myself. With the AS I have only towed with an Avalanche. Again, nice in the midwest. Very capable on rolling hills, but I'm sure mountains would be slow going in a low gear. I just picked up a 1/2 to Yukon Denali XL for next year. With the extra power of a 6.2 liter, I anticipate it will be just right.

If I were replacing the Express right now, I'd probably get a 1/2 ton Silverado or Sierra with the Max Tow package. Maybe a 3/4 ton, but I like the ride of the 1/2 tonners towing and solo.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi n welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palskiric View Post
...We have dreamed of hitting the open road but with the reality now facing us, we are second guessing how much we would really use it since we are both still working...
IF u have no past experience camping/rvn in either a moho or trailer...

begin at the beginning.

buy a book on rv camping (the dummies series for example)

then drive into/through a few local campgrounds and LOOK at stuff.

consider RENTING a class C moho for a week and go camping.

this will provide an emersed experience and give ample time to contemplate, explore and dream...
_________

stay OUT of the rv lots, unless u have been vaccinated against temptations...

go to some of the many GIANT rv shows that start in late winter...

do you have ANY friends with rvs?

if so bug them about how often and where and when they use their rigs.

prices or "deals" on rvs that are ON THE LOTS over the WINTER can be tempting...

but the issues are many when buying in the winter...

where to store it
financing
insurance
does everything work (if it's been winterized u may not know)
are there leaks

and will u still really want THAT unit in 3-5 months when it first is used?

and so on....

sales pick up every spring but that's also closer to the USEFUL seasons...

don't sweat a few 100 or 1000 bucks on purchase price and don't JUMP at the first offering...

there are a lotta streams to be had and many will come along.

while it might be nice to read about how everyone ELSE uses their units what really matters is...

why U, why now, and what the heck will ya do with it?

btw there are long threads here on the variety of ways we use 'em and even a poll or 2 on this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ream-5043.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...you-46157.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...year-3354.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ler-10976.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ear-10053.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #7

2004 25' Safari
Thanks, that was needed advice as we were caught in the moment and almost couldn't get out of it. We tent camped in our younger days, borrowed a pop-up trailer from friends when the kids were young, and rented an RV from Cruise America and traveled through Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona for a couple weeks. We have not been camping or in an RV in the last 10 years or so. Now that we are empty nesters, this is something we have on the bucket list. But patience is the better part of valor and we really are not quite ready yet. This experience did get us to think about getting a tow vehicle as a next car (when the time comes) and we will check out the RV shows to learn what is out there. We just happened to see the shiny AS and wanted it