Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
If you are still wanting to try and get that one than tell them that after research and due to the cost of redoing it to "your satisfaction" that you are all in at 2500. And if that's not good then call you if he changes his mind. Others on the forums have far and away more knowledge than I so do what you feel is best. For 11 to 13k you can get a camp ready and if you breach 7 to 8K in repair another 3k in your labor 2.5k is still high.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
It's a shorter trailer which are more sought after. Yes, you MAY find another one in better condition for a little more money. I would verify for certain that the AC, fridge, and heat work. Check water lines- hook up to water and wait for leaks underneath- give it at least an hour. They are all work. But..Don't settle for something too long that is a little less work. Personally, I would rather work on it for a year or so than look for three years.
A marginal floor equals a poor floor in my book- They both have to be replaced! I also had the same dent in mine on the back. It was not too hard to fix. I spent alot of time on mine, but its mostly fun and not really rocket science.

Thom

Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thom, thank you I was wondering how I missed all of these great deals that must be out there because after 4 years of looking I still have not found the overlander I want but it's all good I am having fun doing the caravel! (wife's choice)
Cliff
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I inspected a 73 Ambassador for a forum member last week. Similar issues as the one you looked at and the guy would have taken $3K for it but it was still not a good deal since the prospective owner did not have the time. There was just too much work needed. I paid $2500 for my TW and looking back it was a little too much considering the 2 years and many thousand dollars it took to bring it back to 1968 condition. I think you made a good decision passing on this one.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Classifieds 1973 overlander looks awesome 4500. Buy that one before I do! The wife would kill me and the daughter would get it.
Cliff
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I bought my 72 for $1500 (I did get a deal from the PO), After installing--axles/bearings and brakes, all LED stop lights, new door light and LED running lights I then did the new indoor lighting, repairing the sliding cabinet doors, new black tank, new pump, new 3 stage charger, new elec box (3 breaker -r side outlet-l side outlet and 1 for ac), a front window protector, new awning, high efficiency ac--I would get a low profile if doing that over,,,new goucho covers, pex plumbing--oh yeah new slide valves, new furnace --the old refer still makes ice!, fantastic vents and a couple more items----I finished the fireplace last year...somehow this became a hobby, if you like to tinker these things are great! If you do not like to tinker--save the aggravation and get something new. I know I forgot some of the other little things like an old car stereo or doing the Fantastik treatment to the walls....oh yeah new window and door seals...

Believe it or not I even went camping a few times!,

I am moving to Las Vegas late this fall and will stay in the old camel until I find a place....was it worth it....to me DEFINATELY I am looking forward to several months in Nevada and Arizona---maybe I will even stop by Quartzite AZ

Not that I am predjudiced about a 72 Tradewind but-------------- and they are the largest of the small trailers - or smallest of the large trailers.

Earlier posts gave good advice about what you want and what condition the trailer is in, Sweat equity is sort of a pride thing, that is preaching to the choir in this forum, but that is what restoration is about.

I found a couple of people from this forum to have been instrumental with good advice--thank you to many and especially John HD and Andy .
Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
The pictures you took show me the need for a new floor/or partial, rusty frame needing some welding, rustproofing the frame after. Just for starters. I'd offer 1.5K and continue looking.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

lambertville , New Jersey
What do you guys think about the one in the classifieds from Virginia: 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24’ - Virginia
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I love pictures and hate them, you get an idea of what it looks like but no clue as to condition. Sounds great looks great but..... Needs some axles and how are the floors? I know what they say but the cabinets look like the bottoms have been exposed to some moister and not from a swab! The price looks okay if it is as they say but are all of the windows Corning? Is the hardware in good shape? Must look to see.
Hope this helps
Cliff
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Here's another I'm looking at. What does this 'patch job' most likely mean? I'm assuming a leak and crappy fix. How would I fix this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-137312289.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	196322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-804102552.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	196323  

Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I love pictures and hate them, you get an idea of what it looks like but no clue as to condition. Sounds great looks great but..... Needs some axles and how are the floors? I know what they say but the cabinets look like the bottoms have been exposed to some moister and not from a swab! The price looks okay if it is as they say but are all of the windows Corning? Is the hardware in good shape? Must look to see. Hope this helps Cliff
Definitely helps, Cliff. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Oh, those pics make me wanna cry! Those seams look like somebody didn't know or care what they were doing. Or maybe the TT sustained damage that popped a bunch of rivets on the end panels. Big clean up job to get all of that muck off. But if necessary, you could then buck new rivets, as long as the interior end caps are off....and then seal it properly.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Means they let me try to drink a beer then gave me a tube of bathroom caulk! Plastic putty knife some mineral spirits and then tape and caulk with the good stuff! Tempro 360 of something of similar quality. But and I always have a lot of them if there was or is a leak what do the floors look like? How does it smell? Most important how does it feel? They did not do a good job sealing how were their other repairs or modifications? How much and do you have more pictures?
Cliff
Ps what is it?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Never take the seller's word that something works or "worked the last time" that they used it. If they can't be bothered to put a battery in and get the propane running enough to show you that it works, assume that it doesn't. Then research replacement costs and knock that total off the number their offering.

If the stuff actually works, that might motivate them to prove it to you. Otherwise, take a big cut off the price or walk.

After 40 years, original tires will need to be replaced, no matter how pretty they look. Also, poke the floor at the back end, inside the back bathroom wall. A structural flaw pretty much guarantees end rot in that vintage of trailer. Partial floor replacement is possible. Some of the stuff we've done on our '71 trailer is shown in our blog, in my sig line.