Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Knoxville , Tennessee
1971 Overlander, advice needed

I posted a few weeks ago about towing said trailer, but I actually got to look it over in person the other day. I'm trying to determine what a fair value is for this, and what surpises may be hiding.

My goal is to have a campable trailer later this year, using the exising interior and getting as much as possible functional.

A good friend owns it, and it definately is a project. Here is a summary of what I saw...

-Complete OE interior (ugly 70s and needs a good cleaning.
-Skin is overall very good, some corrosion through belly pan
-Rust issue with step under door ??
-Rear separation (stood on rear bumper and saw flex between shell and frame
-Awning shot - framework good
-cracked damage skylights - bad for floors...

This trailer hasn't moved in 10 years. I assume there will be floor issues etc. All appliances were working then. The AC unit was replaced, but probabably junk now.

What other factors should I consider ?

Heres some pics...

Airstream pictures by faustmb - Photobucket
Orphanauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphanauto View Post
What other factors should I consider ?
Jeepers, isn't that enough?

Other than what you mentioned, it has a generally moldy/rusty/rotted air about it.

I think it is a gigantic time-eating project waiting to pounce on someone from a dark and musty corner.

Wouldn't you like to start in trailers with something just a little closer to being roadworthy?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I agree with Aage. That trailer is a money pit waiting to swallow up someone. If you have the money, a professional shop could get it in shape for use in a few months but if you are planning on doing it yourself, it could be a couple of years to get it usable and reliable.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Knoxville , Tennessee
Point taken. For some reason I have always been attracted to forgotten and forlorn vehicles. I hate to see it sitting there unappreciated.

Very likely it would take longer that I hope to have it usable, but I think it is worth saving.

Aitstreams are new to me, but Ive been lurking here long enough to see what can be involved.

I think I could get it for $1k, maybe less. The owners remember it from the glory days, so I don't know their bottom price.
Orphanauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
All PO,, see the trailer as a jewel it use to be or was to be.. Most forget that what was wonderful was 25 years ago... Or the work never got done.

Like my Overlander,, I saw the jug of antifreeze on the table,, not in the water system and here we are the middle of Feb.. Lucked out with the mild winter but could have been a train wreck..

Can sure relate with your view of saving what you can but one reaches a point of what one can afford to get into,..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote