Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
16' Sport vs Scamp

Is the 16' AS Sport really 20 thousand dollars better than a 16' Scamp?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How much wood is in the Scamp?

Perry

Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How much wood is in the Scamp?

Perry
Perry: Scamps are fiberglass trailers... I think all the wood is cabinet doors and such.

Griz134: The trailers are rather different animals... if I spent a lot of time in extreme weather, it looks like the Scamp might be better insulated and the white fiberglass exterior would make it easier to cool even if the R-value were about the same.

The Sport is a foot wider, and includes the little wet bath as part of the cost. I doubt the Scamp's optional bath facilities cost anything on the order of $20k, but lots of other standard equipment on the Sport is optional on the Scamp, like city water hookup, AC, refrigerator, roof fan, antenna, awning, etc.

I didn't look at base vs. as-built prices, is the $20k difference your'e quoting with comparable equipment? Or base price to base price?

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Griz

Welcome to the forums.

The Scamp, made here in Minnesota, is a good trailer, and one that I would certainly consider if in the market for something fairly small.

But it's not an Airstream Sport. The Sport is wider. The ceiling in the Sport is higher. The bathroom on the Sport is designed for usability and well integrated into the overall design. The choice of materials in the Sport is driven by aesthetics as well as practicality while the materials choice in the Scamp is utilitarian.

If you check carefully you may find that the difference in the actual dealer selling price between comparably equipped trailers is less than you think. Scamp sells direct and does not ordinarily discount its trailers much below list while it is not unusual to be able to purchase new Airstreams for 15% or so below list. Scamp prices a base trailer and then has many, many options that can be added alone or in packages, covering equipment that is standard, in most cases, on the Sport.

Whether it is worth the difference in price to you is something only you can decide. The fact that both trailers sell successfully testifies to the difference of opinion.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Griz134,
Welcome to the forum.
The only thing I might add is.... Treat yourself! Go with the Airstream, you only live once, you will love it.
Bruce
Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would look at used market

Bambis are getting bids like crazy, never seen scamp so I am not sure. Is it worth 20k more hard to say, obviously better. If used bambi would sell for $30k what does scamp sell for maybe $14k? One is 57 chevrolet classic other is new Chev cruze(scamp). To bad scamp does not come 19ft or 18ft. I personally would not want anything less than 16.7 bambi comes in.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And then there's the Casita. And I recently saw a "green egg" trailer that looked a little bigger than a Casita. There are/were a dozen other brands of fiberglass egg trailers, and personally I think they're neat "weekenders".

You can tow them with about anything.

Karen & I once saw one parked in an alley in St. Petersburg. Only hint that anyone was actually camping was the gentle snore.

Paula
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I believe a fully loaded Scamp goes for around 18K. I'm not sure of the exact price. I new sport would cost around 33K I think. Depends on the discount. It's a big difference in price. I love the Airstream, and looked at one a couple weeks ago. I have only seen photos of the Scamp. I was wondering if there is that much difference in quality. 15 plus thousand dollars is a lot of money. Anyone here ever owned a Scamp? Any issues with the Sport?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Scamp and Casita are very similar. The biggest difference, perhaps, is the location of the factory.

There is another forum specific to Scamp, Casita, and other fiberglass designs:

Fiberglass RV

The Scamp is noticeably smaller. Quality? Depends what you mean. The axles and appliances are in many cases the same. What you pay for with the Airstream is the upgrades, materials, and trim.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I believe a fully loaded Scamp goes for around 18K. I'm not sure of the exact price. I new sport would cost around 33K I think. Depends on the discount. It's a big difference in price. I love the Airstream, and looked at one a couple weeks ago. I have only seen photos of the Scamp. I was wondering if there is that much difference in quality. 15 plus thousand dollars is a lot of money. Anyone here ever owned a Scamp? Any issues with the Sport?
We owned a Casita, and many consider the Scamp a model of the Casita brand and visa versa.

While the fiberglass unit is well built and less expensive, I will assure you that I would much rather spend a rainy camping day inside the AS.

There is a built in comfort factor with the AS. And of course, there are other amenities that come with the AS. Granted it's more expensive, but you're comparing Chevy/Fords to Mercedes/BMW's.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The Scamp 5th wheel model is a doll house compared to anything else out there.

Climbing under it I was a little unimpressed with any built-tough evidence it had to show; boondocking or other remote camps could get risky unless you had second-sight or other preternatural skills. For an Interstate run to the Keys or islands, etc. it would excel if you were a naturally neat & tidy person.

And... they are bright inside - White carries throughout the trailer inside and out...

I spent a little while in one at the last State Fair here - the dealership owner just flat out said $400 would be the maximum cash-sale discount, there was nothing in them for him to play with.

I got to enjoy being in a 5vr while families came and rubber-necked through - if you were a small family staying very active outdoors and used it as a dry bed & breakfast only it might not seem confining; your tow vehicle would be primary storage site for anything other than a weekender unless you wore the same clothes and ate most meals out.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
There are actually a whole group of folks who full-time in Casitas! Casita is made in Texas and like Scamp only sells direct. There are many 20 year old Casitas still out there and like anything else will last a long time if they're taken care of. They don't seem to have the leakage and floor rot problems common to AS's...(no roof seams is my guess). It all depends on what you deem important.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My first hard-sided trailer was a Scamp 5th-wheel (actually a gooseneck). I had the Scamp for about 4 years and used it a lot. As pointed out above, the worst feature is that it is so narrow that either my head or my feet were always against the side.

The Scamp is insulated by foil-foam-foil sheet glued on and covered with fuzzy cloth. It actually did pretty well at 115 degrees in the desert with the 11,000 BTU AC.

The Scamp comes completely bare. I even had to add a toilet paper roller, towel bars, and a mirror in the bathroom. It took a lot of add-ons to get the Scamp anywhere even close to a Bambi.

OTOH, some aspects of the Scamp were pretty shaky. The tires were undersized for the weight until I swapped the 13" rims for 14" rims and tires. The axle capacity was very marginal. The door kept swinging open when going over bumps until I swapped the flimsy latch for a better latch. I stopped at the factory and had them add some bracing because the weight of the AC on the roof was starting to cause sag.

I had a lot of fun with the Scamp, but it is not in the same league with an Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Olympia , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
Hi Griz. I bought a 2011 16' Bambi Sport in June 2010. Yes, it was expensive but I have been living in it since then and I haven't had any problems. I've towed it over 4000 miles and it's a gem! I absolutely love my Airstream and don't regret my decision to buy it nor my monthly payments. Every second I spend either towing it or living in it, is pure delight! I can't stop grinnin'!

Tags
16' sport