Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Mine is an '02 model, and I bought it used. I understand a fully equipped 17 Deluxe (they make three different floor plans) goes for 18K+.
www.casitatraveltrailers.com
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Another fibreglass option that produces a good product is located to your North in BC.

Escape Trailer Industries > Home

I like that it has a more generous interior height than the Casita.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
what is sport model missing compared to international. Looks like window on front door, rear window,storage compartment,rear studabaker tail lights, 4 classic port hole windows,fancy stereo. Does sport have outside light,heat,air or is this reason they list $10k less than international. I know mine has some options spare tire rack,propane cover in alum,pwr jack.
It has most of the same basics...heat, air, etc. They cheaped out on trim, like no port windows, only a front wrap around window, prob a cheaper-but still nice flat screen/dvd player & Sony cd/radio system, plastic propane cover. But has same floor plan, good refrig, nice 2 burner prop stove, no directly over stove light, lots of pancake lights instead of nice spot lights. No coat hook or magazine rack. cheaper mechanism on awning. no aluminum rock guards (uses a clear plastic overlay protector instead). Does have nice stainless steel sink. Also aluminum style tambour storage rollup doors instead of translucent type (I actually prefer these). Also significantly lighter and as you pointed out lists for about $10k less. Still a lot more expensive than it's square box competitors.

I am very happy with mine. With maybe the exception of converting the rear window to wrap around, and installing port windows, I doubt it would cost anywhere near $10k to add/change the trim and equipment differences. Actually even with all the changes I can't see how it should cost that much more. It's not like one has a V8 and the other a V6. But, I am not dissing the International. I think it is a beautiful AS and I do like the upgrades they made (or more likely they downgraded to make the Sport...chicken or the egg kinda thing). The Sport just meets my weight and pocketbook requirements better. And I think it will draw even more people into the Airstream lifestyle, like it did me.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I believe a fully loaded Scamp goes for around 18K. I'm not sure of the exact price. I new sport would cost around 33K I think. Depends on the discount. It's a big difference in price. I love the Airstream, and looked at one a couple weeks ago. I have only seen photos of the Scamp. I was wondering if there is that much difference in quality. 15 plus thousand dollars is a lot of money. Anyone here ever owned a Scamp? Any issues with the Sport?
If you can get a brand new Sport for $33k grab it! Especially if it's current year model.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
How much did the 17' Casita cost?
Don't think you're going to see an online price on the 17' Casita Deluxe, but that's what I bought. I suspect you're going to spend somewhere between 18-19K depending on how you equip it.

AND, as has been mentioned, a fully tricked out Casita (or Scamp for that matter), is going to be considered bare bones when compared to an AS.

I will repeat myself by saying that a rainy day spent in a Casita compared to a rainy day spent in an AS is really different.

Have you considered a slightly used longer AS? If you get into the 23 and larger, the differences become significant.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Not sure if this is still applicable as I don't look at the new ones very often.
A few years ago some of the Airstream models seemed to be lacking in windows that could be fully opened or only opened a small area. Also some were poorly arranged for cross ventilation.
This could be a big deal if you camp away from hookups a lot.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We purchased a new 17' Casita in 1996 for about $10K, plus $500 for delivery. This was a great first TT and we really enjoyed it, and used it for 10 years. It was sold to a friend for $6,500, so a very reasonable amortization of costs for the time we had it. We outgrew the Casita, but it is still going strong. My friend takes it all over the place, including places I would never dream of taking the Airstream

We purchased th Airstream in 2007.

As others have said, it is a question of use and personal lifestyle. We enjoy the ambiance of the Airstream.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I can't go more than 16' because I only have a 4cyl. Toyota Tacoma. It has a GVW of 5000Lbs. so the sport should be fine I think. Is a 4cyl truck too small to tow a small RV? Is leaking a big issue in Airstreams? I am a little shocked to hear that leaking is a problem in such an expensive toy. I would love the Sport, but $$$ is an issue, and i want the most for my money.
griz134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It's commonly suggested here for a new Airstreamer to select the trailer they really want, and then get a tow vehicle that is appropriate.

However, we all have budgets to work within. It is my opinion that any size trailer bigger than maybe a 13' Scamp or Casita is too much for a four cylinder truck. Will it pull a 16 footer? Yes, but I seriously doubt it will pull it to your satisfaction.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I can't go more than 16' because I only have a 4cyl. Toyota Tacoma. It has a GVW of 5000Lbs. so the sport should be fine I think. Is a 4cyl truck too small to tow a small RV? Is leaking a big issue in Airstreams? I am a little shocked to hear that leaking is a problem in such an expensive toy. I would love the Sport, but $$$ is an issue, and i want the most for my money.
Leaking is a maintenance issue for the most part, though there are some assembly problems that have to be corrected under warranty as well. The construction method is good in many respects, but requires that the joints between panels and at openings be sealed, and those seals maintained.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Don't know how old you are but it seems you've got some years in front of you. From what you say above, I would suggest that Scamp or Casita. And buy the largest of the brand you can afford with the options you want. That one foot of length between a 16 and a 17 will be large.

Enjoy it for a while and later on, reconsider moving into the AS.

And your Tacoma should have no problems towing the 17.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had a 1982 13' Scamp for many years. Very simple so virtually no maintenance required, no leaks until we sold it to our son-in-law who took out the fixtures and used it for an ice fishing house for four years. He sold it for decent money to someone who easily put everything back to a camper. It was always outside and had no leaks or floor rot.

The electric and plumbing fixtures are low-end but easily upgraded.

If I was young I would buy the Scamp fifth wheel model and tow it with a Tacoma pickup. Low cost to buy and maintain, unlike Airstream. New ones are only sold by the factory in Minnesota and can be customize ordered to some degree. Don't expect discounted price.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I think you're right murreywalker. I really like the looks of the Casita. I'm going to do more research. Thanks for the help.
griz134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I agree with murreywalker. If you find a used Casita 17', you'd likely get several years out of it with very little depreciation. We would have bought one but we found it to feel a bit closed-in, and we weren't fans of the fuzzy carpeted walls...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
You should be fine with a gvwr of 5000. I tow my Sport with a 4 door Jeep that has a limit of 3500, same as the Sport 16 and it tows great. Be sure to get a good hitch system. The dealer will try to talk you into a less expensive system. Do some research and specify your wd, anti-sway hitch as part of the deal. I went with a Reese dual cam based and much of what I read here and online.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If I was young I would buy the Scamp fifth wheel model and tow it with a Tacoma pickup. Low cost to buy and maintain, unlike Airstream. New ones are only sold by the factory in Minnesota and can be customize ordered to some degree. Don't expect discounted price.

doug k

Here's a guy I "know" from over on ECOMODDER. Highly knowledgeable about the trailer type (eggs) and is now on the road full-time with his little 5'er and a Japanese pickemup. Knows them inside/out. Recommend questions to him about his rig, or the type in general, across his blog:

KamperBob: Recreation Engineer

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Quote:
I think you're right murreywalker. I really like the looks of the Casita. I'm going to do more research. Thanks for the help.
Hi Griz. So you're a Portlander, huh?! I live in Eugene. My sport is only 22 months old but hasn't leaked or shown signs of leaking. It's in the elements 24/7 and has been towed over 4000 miles. The leaking that I hear about sometimes, I believe, is usually on the older trailers and that's the same for any brand of trailer. I know a lot of the Oregon Airstream unit owners that have newer ones and I don't recall any talk about leaking.

Also, if you look for a used Airstream from 2000 to 2011, I bet you could find a good deal. You can check the classifieds here or google it online. As far as if your vehicle could tow a 16 Sport, are you already set up to tow something? Have you towed a trailer before? I'm wondering if you called up the nearest Airstream dealership, if they'd hitch it up for you and you could test tow it. Just a thought. I'd hate to have you miss out on getting an Airstream, if it's doable.

Either way, I think you're doing a great job checkin' into all this. If you want to, please keep in touch. It would be fun to have you come camp with the Oregon Airstream unit sometime, no matter what trailer you buy! It's a really great group!

I wish you all the best! Take care.

~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Thumbs up if it is newer tacoma it's strong motor

You will be able pull 60mph on freeways just how fast can we really go with ST tires anyway. On hills you will limp around with AS. I doubt you can get AS for $33k, I was quoted $39k. Ended up finding used international AS is better product for sure. I love fact everything is hand made in USA, doors are all custom built on site. 2004 AS was named 25 best products ever made in USA. I am not going to put down other trailer you are going to save some green going that route. Any of you Oregon streamers have nice salmon boat? I want to take a trip southern OR but can only bring either the boat or trailer. I am looking to spend close month down there when Kings are biting.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Any of you Oregon streamers have nice salmon boat? I want to take a trip southern OR but can only bring either the boat or trailer. I am looking to spend close month down there when Kings are biting.

No boat. Sorry! Hope you get to go fishin' in Oregon. It's pretty beautiful.

~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I did not know that Airstreams have a problem with leaking, and floor rot. Is that a serious problem?
Any RV will develop leaks over time with travel, use, and exposure to the elements. Scamps and other fiberglass trailers included. Though they do not have seams they can leak at any point where something penetrates the wall or roof.

I've had my Airstream for two years and have not had any leaks. I was just on the roof checking seals a week or two ago to be sure and everything looks fine.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport