Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I am curious

what is sport model missing compared to international. Looks like window on front door, rear window,storage compartment,rear studabaker tail lights, 4 classic port hole windows,fancy stereo. Does sport have outside light,heat,air or is this reason they list $10k less than international. I know mine has some options spare tire rack,propane cover in alum,pwr jack.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I look at it this way:
Scamp, built to last maybe 5 years. Designed to spend the weekends at the lake.
Airstream, built to last a life time and be passed down to last another life time. Designed to see the world.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Both are completely different trailers, yet draw the same attention. Please see my link below (bolerama.org). There is a history page. Boler was the first of these (started in 1968), and the moulds were sold to Scamp and then other companies came along and produced similar trailers. My Boler turns 40 next year, so don't believe it when people say they only last five years! That's a funny one! So it is now 39 years old and has no leaks or floor rot. I actually had 2 fiberglass trailers, but sold one of them when we bought the Airstream. It was a 1975 and I sold it for $4500, which surprisingly was more than Airstreams of the same vintage in my area. I never worry about my egg during hail storms. Also, everything is easy to fix because the trailer is so simple. In summary, little fiberglass eggs are adorable, sturdy, simple, and hold their value.

Having said that, they are not luxurious. Enter the Airstream! Far more spacious. Gorgeous inside and out. Yes, there's a reason why they are more expensive.

No matter where we are with either a fiberglass egg or Airstream, we draw attention and give many tours. We have fun no matter what trailer we are camping in. But on cold rainy days, I love my Airstream more (even though I run around searching for leaks). However, during wind or hail storms, I feel sick with worry.

It really depends on how much maintenance you want to do and what makes your heart beat faster! I love both trailers, so I have 2!

At our fiberglass rallies, we easily pull in 70-100+ trailers and we give open houses. Go to Airstream and fiberglass rallies to see what type of trailer will suit you more.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I like that the Sport is a foot wider. I did not know that Airstreams have a problem with leaking, and floor rot. Is that a serious problem? I live in Portland, OR where it rains 8 months a year. I would love to have an Airstream, and would expect to stay dry in something that cost that much. I grew up family camping in an old Coleman tent made out of canvas, and it never leaked.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I currently own both an Airstream, and a 17' Casita. Although it's not a fair comparison between a 31' Classic and a 17' Casita Delux, I still love both trailers, each for their purpose. I use the Casita when I go to some of my other hobby events.

If I had to choose between a Casita and a Bambi it would be very difficult, but there is a major difference in cost. IMHO the Airstream is fragile because it dents easily, can be almost totaly distroyed in a hail storm, and has a tendency to develop leaks with resulting rotting floor. The Casita is difficult to damage, virtually immune to hail, leaks are almost unheard of, so no rotting.

The Airstream is nicer inside, with more room, and I would say more prestegious, if that is important to you. Decisions, decisions..........
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
How much did the 17' Casita cost?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Mine is an '02 model, and I bought it used. I understand a fully equipped 17 Deluxe (they make three different floor plans) goes for 18K+.
www.casitatraveltrailers.com
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Another fibreglass option that produces a good product is located to your North in BC.

Escape Trailer Industries > Home

I like that it has a more generous interior height than the Casita.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
what is sport model missing compared to international. Looks like window on front door, rear window,storage compartment,rear studabaker tail lights, 4 classic port hole windows,fancy stereo. Does sport have outside light,heat,air or is this reason they list $10k less than international. I know mine has some options spare tire rack,propane cover in alum,pwr jack.
It has most of the same basics...heat, air, etc. They cheaped out on trim, like no port windows, only a front wrap around window, prob a cheaper-but still nice flat screen/dvd player & Sony cd/radio system, plastic propane cover. But has same floor plan, good refrig, nice 2 burner prop stove, no directly over stove light, lots of pancake lights instead of nice spot lights. No coat hook or magazine rack. cheaper mechanism on awning. no aluminum rock guards (uses a clear plastic overlay protector instead). Does have nice stainless steel sink. Also aluminum style tambour storage rollup doors instead of translucent type (I actually prefer these). Also significantly lighter and as you pointed out lists for about $10k less. Still a lot more expensive than it's square box competitors.

I am very happy with mine. With maybe the exception of converting the rear window to wrap around, and installing port windows, I doubt it would cost anywhere near $10k to add/change the trim and equipment differences. Actually even with all the changes I can't see how it should cost that much more. It's not like one has a V8 and the other a V6. But, I am not dissing the International. I think it is a beautiful AS and I do like the upgrades they made (or more likely they downgraded to make the Sport...chicken or the egg kinda thing). The Sport just meets my weight and pocketbook requirements better. And I think it will draw even more people into the Airstream lifestyle, like it did me.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I believe a fully loaded Scamp goes for around 18K. I'm not sure of the exact price. I new sport would cost around 33K I think. Depends on the discount. It's a big difference in price. I love the Airstream, and looked at one a couple weeks ago. I have only seen photos of the Scamp. I was wondering if there is that much difference in quality. 15 plus thousand dollars is a lot of money. Anyone here ever owned a Scamp? Any issues with the Sport?
If you can get a brand new Sport for $33k grab it! Especially if it's current year model.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
How much did the 17' Casita cost?
Don't think you're going to see an online price on the 17' Casita Deluxe, but that's what I bought. I suspect you're going to spend somewhere between 18-19K depending on how you equip it.

AND, as has been mentioned, a fully tricked out Casita (or Scamp for that matter), is going to be considered bare bones when compared to an AS.

I will repeat myself by saying that a rainy day spent in a Casita compared to a rainy day spent in an AS is really different.

Have you considered a slightly used longer AS? If you get into the 23 and larger, the differences become significant.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Not sure if this is still applicable as I don't look at the new ones very often.
A few years ago some of the Airstream models seemed to be lacking in windows that could be fully opened or only opened a small area. Also some were poorly arranged for cross ventilation.
This could be a big deal if you camp away from hookups a lot.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We purchased a new 17' Casita in 1996 for about $10K, plus $500 for delivery. This was a great first TT and we really enjoyed it, and used it for 10 years. It was sold to a friend for $6,500, so a very reasonable amortization of costs for the time we had it. We outgrew the Casita, but it is still going strong. My friend takes it all over the place, including places I would never dream of taking the Airstream

We purchased th Airstream in 2007.

As others have said, it is a question of use and personal lifestyle. We enjoy the ambiance of the Airstream.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I can't go more than 16' because I only have a 4cyl. Toyota Tacoma. It has a GVW of 5000Lbs. so the sport should be fine I think. Is a 4cyl truck too small to tow a small RV? Is leaking a big issue in Airstreams? I am a little shocked to hear that leaking is a problem in such an expensive toy. I would love the Sport, but $$$ is an issue, and i want the most for my money.

Tags
16' sport