Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents

Old 06-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Los Angeles , California
1 AC vs 2nd AC - pros/cons for use and resale? + install latet?

Hey all,

Looking between two new 2015 27FB Flying Cloud trailers (Queen).

One is stock, single AC. The other has the 50amp service/2nd AC.

This will be our very first Airstream, looking to use it as a fulltimer. Mostly around SoCal, NorCal, Northern Utah and Pacific Northwest.

Since they are both 2015 series, they both have the "Quietstream", new ducted air flow for the AC/Heater.

They are both about the same price, but one I'd have to drive to Oklahoma to get, the other is nearby in SoCal.

A few questions, any help/advice would be great:

1) Folks with 2015s, is the new Quietstream ducting really make a huge difference on AC efficiency and dispersion of the cold air? Is it better?

2) How necessary is the 2nd AC unit? Is it something I would never notice unless I'm in 100F+, direct sun weather?

2.5) Outside the AC itself. Is there big advantages to having the 50amp service over the standard 30amp service?

3) Do you find the 2nd AC contributes to significantly better resale price down the road, or does it become more of a loss leader?

4) If I go with a single AC and install a second later, assuming I use an authorized dealer, is it truly the same quality and full functionality to have it installed after the fact?

I don't want to be too needy here- but want to do all my homework and only ask when I think direct human advice is better than lurking around and researching on my own. I'm looking forward to be an active responder on here as well once we get up and running!

dex110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
I have a 2015 27FB EB with 2 AC's because that's what was available at the time. I've yet to run both at that same time other than a test. What I do find nice is that while in bed, I run the AC in the dining area and I can barely hear it yet it keeps the whole trailer cool. If I'm watching tv or eating, I'll run the AC in the bedroom.

BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
With 50 amp service you can run more AC appliances.

I wouldn't add a 2nd AC without having 50amp service installed. It would be better to buy the factory 2nd AC with 50amp service.

I think a 27 with two ACs is a better resale than the single. You have 2 ACs plus the 50amp service which I would think would be more desirable. I would at least make the AS easier to sell down the road.

Between the two I would get the 27 with 2 ACs.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
I have a 2015 27FB EB with 2 AC's because that's what was available at the time. I've yet to run both at that same time other than a test. What I do find nice is that while in bed, I run the AC in the dining area and I can barely hear it yet it keeps the whole trailer cool. If I'm watching tv or eating, I'll run the AC in the bedroom.
I wish I could do my own in person, direct comparison between the dual ducted 2015+ and dual non-ducted 2014 simply to hear any difference in sound and feel any appreciable difference in air flow or breeze whether it be annoying or desirable breeze.

I like the concept of dual/50 for the above posted reasons plus that if one unit had trouble, you've got at least a 2nd until it's fixed.

It seems that the plan to run the unit farthest away from where you are sitting or sleeping would do the trick pretty much as well with either ducted or not-ducted. But then I think of how the air itself can come into your space via above ducts even if the divider is pulled across. Now I'm thinking dual ducted is truly the ticket...
researching, learning, looking for the right Airstream
jwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
In our 44' Class A diesel pusher we routinely ran either the AC or heat pump (there were three of them on the roof) in a part of the coach away from where we were. Warm nights we ran one (or two) in the front while sleeping in the back. They were all ducted together and this worked great. During the day we ran the one in the bedroom when we were up front.

Now with the new Airstream we ordered, we definitely wanted two AC units so that we could do the same. And for times when we might be in the Airstream, in Arizona, during the hottest months (we live here in a house) we would likely run both units.

Also, as mentioned, having two gives you a backup if one of them goes out. And would probably make the coach more desirable on resale. Not to mention the 50 amp service benefits.

All in all... I wouldn't want an Airstream or any RV without two (or three in a big rig) AC units. Just makes very good sense.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Now I'm a Moho guy so I've always had ducted AC, two units, and 50 amp on all my newer rigs...but I remember our friends 1970 something Diplomat with its roof AC and that thing was loud as all hell....stick to two ACs. I also live in Cali and our weather, no matter which part you're in, is anyone buy predictable...
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Get the 50A service. If you don't need the second a/c you don't have to run it. With 30A service you have 3600 watts available to you (30A x 120V). If you have 50A service you have two 50A legs, so 50A x 120V x 2 = 12,000 watts.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
It's 110 in Vegas today, with both my AC's running its 70 in the trailer and i didn't even deploy my awnings... My neighbor in a large motor home is sitting outside saying it's too hot in his motor home... Go for two AC's
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I only have one AC and living in the NorthWest, rarely used it. But this summer we traveled to Arizona, I know summer in AZ. What was I thinking. It was horribly hot. 118 in Vegas. Over 90 in Flagstaff. My one AC struggled. Until it died completely. Sure would have been nice to have a spare. Go for two AC's.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would definitely take two even if you only run one mor of the time. The second one will be nice if the first craps out.

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote

2015, ducted air, resale, resale value