1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger
Hi Bruno --

A = Autoroute, like A8

RN = Route Nationale, like RN1

D as in D2085

You probably know where they run.. Speaking as someone who still owns a house in Roquefort-les-Pins (06) I am somewhat familiar with tight roads, but I've never driven anything like a big Airstream there. Its been many years since I drove anything but a small rental car in Europe. This is why I am asking someone like yourself, with real experience.

Thanks for the website pointer. What do you use for GPS software, if anything? Over here I use Street Atlas USA and it works pretty good. I use a Garmin GPS with that. SA USA claims support for Canada as well but the maps are very unreliable with that package to the point where you can get yourself into trouble.

Hi,
i use the TOMTOM system that is very precise comparated to my Dayton GPS with large screen (older and very more expensive when I bougt it ); Its a 3D GPS and you can add foreign map with small memory card; the TOMTOM is about 350 Euros now and has a great succes in Europe;;

Don't be afraid about tight roads in the south of FRANCE but the problem are when you entry in typical old french villages... But if you take care of the signs and indications, NO problems at all;

Bruno.

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
yes i am a bit crazy to have this kind of caravan in FRANCE... it's what most french peaple think about me when they see me arriving with all my american toys ( Airstream, Ford f150 and the Harley in the F150's bed;
But we are nearly unique in france and that i love.
i agree with that is not easy to drive on small roads but no problem on motorways and classic roads. All signs are to be well red before taking an unknown road so if trucks take them, we can go too;

Bruno.
Would you happen to know a good shipping (inexpensive) company to ship a trailer to England from CA?
Thanks!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #17
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Shipping agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Would you happen to know a good shipping (inexpensive) company to ship a trailer to England from CA?
Thanks!
Hi Jlandeau;
My shipping agent for my Travel trailer from Jacksonville, Fl to Zeebrugge, Belgium was:

All Shore Forwarders, Ltd / Jason Chachich
25 Commerce Dr, 3rd lf
Cranford, NJ 07016
tel (908) 497-1970
fax (908) 497-1980

email: jchachich@allshoreforwarders.com
www.allshoreforwarders.com

I supose they can give you a shipping price for what you want.

If that can help you.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Thanks!
For other options/issues, check out:

Amazon.com: Take Your RV To Europe: The Low-Cost Route To Long-Term Touring: Books: Adelle Milavsky,Ron Milavsky
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #19
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Narrower Airstreams for Europe

Quote:
Is there anyone out there crazy enough to drive a wide body in Europe?

Airstream Europe :: Airstreamer :: FAQ
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
I have now driven about 4,000 miles and spent 11 nights at campgrounds in 4 countries (Germany, Switzerland, France and Denmark), plus talked with campers in a 5th country.

After some exploration I am now convinced that it is possible to bring a wide body to Europe on vacation. There is obviously cost associated with it as well as logistical issues, but it it appears quite possible. It appears viable to drive it, including through road constructions in Germany (although it'll be a bit tight).

So I my working plan is now to spend 4 months there in 2009. While I am looking to spend 3 weeks or so in Morocco, as part of that stay, I might limit that to just taking my truck over there from Spain.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #21
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
which trailer size ?

Quote:
I have now driven about 4,000 miles and spent 11 nights at campgrounds in 4 countries (Germany, Switzerland, France and Denmark), plus talked with campers in a 5th country.

After some exploration I am now convinced that it is possible to bring a wide body to Europe on vacation. There is obviously cost associated with it as well as logistical issues, but it it appears quite possible. It appears viable to drive it, including through road constructions in Germany (although it'll be a bit tight).

So I my working plan is now to spend 4 months there in 2009. While I am looking to spend 3 weeks or so in Morocco, as part of that stay, I might limit that to just taking my truck over there from Spain.
Hi goldigger;
With wich trailer size, did you travel in Europe ( and in FRANCE ) ... sure it's not really a problem to drive with an Aistream but this is one to find a good and easy to install place in a campground.
I'm just come back from holidays from the south west french coast and it was not a pleasure party to park my 27' in the campground i've reserved with description of the trailer;
24' : you can go anywhere but 31'.... very, very difficult.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dallington , UK
Whilst most trucks in Europe are restricted to 254cm, there is a deregulation for reefers to allow for insulation which permits them to be either 258 or 260cm, I forget which. You'll find French toll booths tight, but there is usually a booth for oversized loads on the extreme right of each plaza.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #23
1991 Excella 29' Polished

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
Did anyone experience towing the wide Airstream (8'5.5" / 2578.1 mm) in Europe (e.g. 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28') ? Is it legal in the EU ? The most trucks in Europe are restricted to 2550 mm, while insulated reefers are restricted to 2600 mm. Can the Airstream of 8'5.5" / 2578.1 mm wide (e.g. 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28') be considered as insulated reefer in this respect ?