Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Travel Beyond US/Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
The 1959 Caravan was moment in time and a piece of history- just like Woodstock was unsuccessfully recreated - even if the Caravan had happened it wouldn't have been quite right. I think it would be wonderful if the Intl Rally was themed around the African caravan!!
Actually April the recreated Woodstock was a huge success. It made many people a great deal of money, unlike the original one that put the promoters into debt. We have a close friend that sold clothing there. He still grabs the bill at dinner and splurges all the time. His response is that he has to spend his Woodstock money somewhere.

If Airstream the company was still lead by someone with the balls to take folks out on a journey like the Capetown to Cairo caravan, it probably would capitalize on that too. Wally showed the world it could be done. I did not know the man, but I am sure he would have made it happen. Maybe not the repeat of the 1959 caravan, but something as daring.
This thread has shown me that many have lost their sense of adventure, I wish we had a new Wally to bring that back. If you are offended by that, sorry for you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Just wanted to clarify a few things. We did not mean that Woodstock and other events like it in history were not financially successful when recreated- just that they didn't capture the spirt and purpose of the original event. This was a special thing that happened and may never be able to be repeated. Times have changed and so has the world. Adventure is not what I lack, but safety is a prime concern. If you throw caution to the wind that's fine but do not also through common sense with it. You can not ignore the fact that the U.S. and Americans are not perceived the same way they were 50 years ago.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Being Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
Just wanted to clarify a few things. We did not mean that Woodstock and other events like it in history were not financially successful when recreated- just that they didn't capture the spirt and purpose of the original event. This was a special thing that happened and may never be able to be repeated. Times have changed and so has the world. Adventure is not what I lack, but safety is a prime concern. If you throw caution to the wind that's fine but do not also through common sense with it. You can not ignore the fact that the U.S. and Americans are not perceived the same way they were 50 years ago.
April and Andy

Amen!

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote