Old 08-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
It is good when these threads come back around, good thing this forum is not just a data base of old threads one just researches and then puts away again.

I am actually surprised by most of the responses here. I am most astonished by Pee Wee's. I just watched him building road in the original movie here's a link: Cape Town to Cairo 1959 - Original 16mm Film | CapeTowntoCairo.com. I would think that you would always have a itchy foot after that.

I am not going for two reasons only.
A) I am a carpenter, the chances of me having an extra 50k laying around is just not realist. If anyone wants to grant me the money, I will be glad to accept it and will send daily photos of how I, and my wife and two daughters are spending their money.
B) I would never think of selling my trailer off at the end of the trip. That would be like selling one of my children.

I am carefully selecting my words...
The reason that Wally was so successful, is because he did not have the attitude portrayed in the previous posts. All the threats that exist today, existed in 1959. The only exception is AIDS and that does not come from drinking the water. Africa was not remotely as accessible as today. We know so much more and have better technologies to aid our journey. Wally would be calling you all a bunch of, well, I will leave it out so this post does not get pulled. He would not accept this quitter attitude, that is for sure.

Has everyone lost their sense of adventure? You can die or be killed at any moment. I hope it does not happen while hiding in my safe suburban home here in the USA. Risk of death or injury in a part of being alive. From the moment we are born, we are dying.

I hope someone reading this is independently wealthy and thinks "self, I am going to give this guy $50k so he can go out and do the caravan that Wally had the balls to do in 1959"

Pee Wee, You are still one of my heros, that will never change and I not mean to show any disrespect, I am just shocked to hear you feel this way.

To those signed up to go, You folks should be proud of yourselves.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Explaination and Best Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
It is good when these threads come back around, good thing this forum is not just a data base of old threads one just researches and then puts away again.

I am actually surprised by most of the responses here. I am most astonished by Pee Wee's. I just watched him building road in the original movie here's a link: Cape Town to Cairo 1959 - Original 16mm Film | CapeTowntoCairo.com. I would think that you would always have a itchy foot after that.

I am not going for two reasons only.
A) I am a carpenter, the chances of me having an extra 50k laying around is just not realist. If anyone wants to grant me the money, I will be glad to accept it and will send daily photos of how I, and my wife and two daughters are spending their money.
B) I would never think of selling my trailer off at the end of the trip. That would be like selling one of my children.

I am carefully selecting my words...
The reason that Wally was so successful, is because he did not have the attitude portrayed in the previous posts. All the threats that exist today, existed in 1959. The only exception is AIDS and that does not come from drinking the water. Africa was not remotely as accessible as today. We know so much more and have better technologies to aid our journey. Wally would be calling you all a bunch of, well, I will leave it out so this post does not get pulled. He would not accept this quitter attitude, that is for sure.

Has everyone lost their sense of adventure? You can die or be killed at any moment. I hope it does not happen while hiding in my safe suburban home here in the USA. Risk of death or injury in a part of being alive. From the moment we are born, we are dying.

I hope someone reading this is independently wealthy and thinks "self, I am going to give this guy $50k so he can go out and do the caravan that Wally had the balls to do in 1959"

Pee Wee, You are still one of my heros, that will never change and I not mean to show any disrespect, I am just shocked to hear you feel this way.

To those signed up to go, You folks should be proud of yourselves.
I took my position last year. It hasn't changed. I only hear and read about the downward security in Africa.

Today the roads maybe better. But the safety has changed.

When we went to Africa the problems we had to face were different.

Roads went from good to none. That may have been our biggest hurdle.

All of the bugs that cause illness in Africa were there. Through pills, immunizations and watching your food and liquid intake we avoided the illnesses of the day prevalant in 1959 Africa.

With liberty, freedom and independence coming to many African nations, hostile actions towards colonial powers were declining.

We had only two possible violent areas. Southern Ethiopia had certain tribes that weren't under control of the Monarchy, and Shiftas a group of bandits in Eritrea. One problem was handled by Palace Guards, and the other one with American MP's riding shotgun through the potential area of robbery.

Today it isn't your 1959 Africa. In fact the world isn't. American popularity isn't.

Yes, adventure is fun. When you talk with people of African knowledge, who have friends in the North, South, Center, East and West part of Africa tell you what's actually happening on a day to day basis...you listen.

If you value their information, you come to a conclusion that Africa is no longer an adventure.

When someone has traveled freely through out Africa for two decades comments that "tourist areas" are dangerous, not an adventure you listen.

Through0ut the form it is Wally this and Wally that. I mentioned before Wally would not put Airstream owners at risk in today's Africa. He was the primo Caravanner, the top-shelf traveler, and a man-of-the-world. He would not put his family of Airstream owners at risk.

I wish the Caravanners godspeed, a safe venture, and a successful tour. We hope it will be a tribute to Wally, Airstream and the many years of Caravans when the tour goes into the history books.

Dale

Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
How about:

Capetown, CA to Cairo, NY

We can even stop at the pyramids in Las Vegas!
Great idea! Now you are talking about a trip I would consider!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Contact Rob Baker, he has laid the entire route out. It has many interesting stops that pay some respect to sights encountered in 1959. The idea was not made too public as to not overshadow the real caravan planned to commemorate the original caravan. The USA version would require about a month to do the right way.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
The discussion in reading this thread is about the risk of taking this trip. What is missing is the probability of serious injury or death. When I attend a local Airstream rally there is the risk of serious injury or death. Howerver the probability in my estimation is small. There is risk in just living.

I believe that Pee Wee is implying that the risk of serious injury or death is unacceptably high. I agree.

If I believed that the risk of serious injury or death were higher than 40% I would not be willing to take this kind of trip because only having a 60% change on NOT having a serious injury or death is not the kind of odds I would be willing to take. I might not do it if the risk were higher than 10%. It depends on what is your level of risk to obtain the potential rewards.

Everyone has different risk tolerances and will make their decisions based on the level of risk they are willing to take.

There is also differences of opinion as to what the probability of serious injury or death is because determining this type of probability is so subjective. However the more information available the better informed the decision.

Good luck to all and happy travels.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #34
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like the Airstreams across Africa is going to give up on the caravan. The latest newsletter states that the failure to get a tow vehicle sponsor has made the project not affordable.
0022 African Caravan Newsletter | CapeTowntoCairo.com

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wonder how many other people will drop due to this.

Steve
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wonder how many nice refurbished trailers will be on the market soon....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #37
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Wonder if the organizers finally got a clue and decided to cancel because of the incredibly unstable "political" situation on the continent.

I wouldn't make this trip without a company of Marines or Rangers riding shotgun--across most of the continent.

Don't be angry with me, just trying to be realistic.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Dissapating Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It looks like the Airstreams across Africa is going to give up on the caravan. The latest newsletter states that the failure to get a tow vehicle sponsor has made the project not affordable.
0022 African Caravan Newsletter | CapeTowntoCairo.com
Richard,

I just reviewed in detail the Cape Town to Cario 2009 site. I found it interesting. Intuitively I knew some of the problems facing the group, after reading the entire site I understand.

I feel bad about their dreams dissapating.

Considering all aspects of the trip it may be the best thing to happen.

Who knows?

The Wisconsin International Rally can plan their theme around the 1959 Caravan. So it is possible to give tribute to Wally.

Dale
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I think the experience would have been amazing- there was no way we even could realistically consider it though- so we watched with interest as the time came closer- always wondering if it would work. I have said all along that if we had participated I would have wanted to keep my trailer as a souvenir- not leave it behind. It was a logistical nightmare from the beginning I'm sure. It is a shame it didn't work out- but better cut your loses now that when sh*t hits than fan later- cause trust me- it would have hit the fan at some point. To the couples that were going: good luck getting all your expenses you have already invested back out of the trailer or the trip. So anybody up to Capetown, CA to Cairo, NY during summer of '09?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I just reviewed in detail the Cape Town to Cario 2009 site. I found it interesting. Intuitively I knew some of the problems facing the group, after reading the entire site I understand.

I feel bad about their dreams dissapating.

Considering all aspects of the trip it may be the best thing to happen.

Who knows?

The Wisconsin International Rally can plan their theme around the 1959 Caravan. So it is possible to give tribute to Wally.

Dale
The 1959 Caravan was moment in time and a piece of history- just like Woodstock was unsuccessfully recreated - even if the Caravan had happened it wouldn't have been quite right. I think it would be wonderful if the Intl Rally was themed around the African caravan!!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
The 1959 Caravan was moment in time and a piece of history- just like Woodstock was unsuccessfully recreated - even if the Caravan had happened it wouldn't have been quite right. I think it would be wonderful if the Intl Rally was themed around the African caravan!!
Actually April the recreated Woodstock was a huge success. It made many people a great deal of money, unlike the original one that put the promoters into debt. We have a close friend that sold clothing there. He still grabs the bill at dinner and splurges all the time. His response is that he has to spend his Woodstock money somewhere.

If Airstream the company was still lead by someone with the balls to take folks out on a journey like the Capetown to Cairo caravan, it probably would capitalize on that too. Wally showed the world it could be done. I did not know the man, but I am sure he would have made it happen. Maybe not the repeat of the 1959 caravan, but something as daring.
This thread has shown me that many have lost their sense of adventure, I wish we had a new Wally to bring that back. If you are offended by that, sorry for you.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Just wanted to clarify a few things. We did not mean that Woodstock and other events like it in history were not financially successful when recreated- just that they didn't capture the spirt and purpose of the original event. This was a special thing that happened and may never be able to be repeated. Times have changed and so has the world. Adventure is not what I lack, but safety is a prime concern. If you throw caution to the wind that's fine but do not also through common sense with it. You can not ignore the fact that the U.S. and Americans are not perceived the same way they were 50 years ago.