Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
.... the mods have gone to the effort of giving us a section on global streaming...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341/

with a forum on travel beyond the usa/canada...

now where is that martian rally this year?

cheers

2air'
Hint taken

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I found this site through National Geographic's Travel links. I thought it was pretty interesting. Come Back Alive
good link jamie...

i've been reading this guys site for awhile.

he hasn't updated it much recently but the info is still useful and the topics one needs to consider for world wide travel are relevant...

there are several good sites like this, google 'worlds dangerous places' or 'world travel dangers'

and several will pop up.

along with the state department site for official announcements and the cdc site for health issues/advisory

the best world travel sites exploring the 'risks' all have travel to the usa rated on the same issues....

most of the world does NOT consider the usa a 'safe travel' area...

but most of us living here discount this view from abroad..

cheers
2air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Hint taken
hey thanks janet!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
most of the world does NOT consider the usa a 'safe travel' area...
I have heard this said, but never confirmed it for myself. Considering the number of foreign tourists I've seen at Disneyland, I find it hard to believe too many people would take that seriously.

However, the point it might help to make is that - yes indeed, some parts of this country may not be safe to travel in. There are parts of my own hometown where I would not want to be driving a rental car, holding up a map and looking confused. Though that's just paranoia on my part, it doesn't seem wise to stand out as an outsider in certain areas. While traveling I have wandered into areas where I was not welcome, and I might have known better had I been better prepared, but luckily the worst we got was some odd stares as we moved along.

I read a quote recently "Africa is a continent, not a crisis". Africa is indeed a big place, with a lot of good people in it. People who would love to have your tourist dollars, and would welcome you with genuine hospitality. Just as you would find in much of the USA. There are dangerous places, and there are safe places, you just have to know which is which.

More than ever in the past it should be possible to chart a route and avoid the inhospitable places. With the internet you have constant access to the latest news and travel advisories.

However, only the people going on the trip can decide of the risk of showing up in a long line of aluminum trailers makes too much of a splash and will garner too much attention from the wrong people.

While Pee Wee certainly makes some valid points, many of which may have already been handled by the caravan planners, I think the people going on this caravan certainly do not need to feel anything they are doing is dragging down the good name of Wally, Airstream, or the WB. This is an independent group of Airstream owners, planning a trip. It is an exciting and adventurous trip, which is why it has garnered so much attention and polarized people one way or the other. But ultimately it is just a trip, and it is up to those who choose to participate to ensure their own safety, and to decide how much risk is too much.

Personally, I am still looking forward to following along, and I hope they have an adventurous but uneventful trip!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Scotland to Capetown

Scotland to Capetown
Here are a few regular guys livin' the dream. This is the same crew that did the "Long way Around" series a few years ago....now available on dvd.
I found it very exciting and would think travelling Airstreamers would think so too.
lots of very interesting video clips to see the trip along the way. and buy the look of the route, it is much like the trip being planned. Maybe some good advice for the people that will be on the next one.
Long Way Down

check out the gear, the route, and similarites of the adventures of past and future.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
As a now ex South African who is also a proud Airstreamer, I would not go on this caravan (Cape to Cairo) even if you paid my whole salary for the entire time I was way and some other bonuses. It sounds exotic and exciting, but as someone who comes from that continent only 4 years ago, I would caution anybody thinking of participating in this caravan. Health issues, safety and security, crime, poverty, corruption in most of the African countries...the list goes on and on. Take it from someone who has lived there for most of his life...DON'T DO IT. Period. I'd hate to read on this very forum about tragedies that befell my fellow American acquaintances while on such a journey. Dont expect any protection from the American governement either as it wont happen.
Not a cycnic here, just a realist.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Where are these people touring? Have you ever seen a Rotel before?

Rotel - Tours: Studienreisen, Expeditionsreisen, Jugendreisen, Abenteuerreisen, Singlereisen - die grössten Busreisen der Welt

Traveling the Rotel way pictures. If there us safety in numbers and size then this would qualify!

TRAVELING THE ROTEL WAY Photo Gallery by ravenoaks at pbase.com

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Carol -

Now I know what they're called! We saw some (2) in Dawson City while on our AK trip last year. Dangest rigs I ever saw. Tried to engage some folks in conversation, but didn't find an English speaker, and then a big storm hit and I didn't get back out.

Thanks for the link.

Pat
Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Shades of 1977 Clint Eastwood traveling in The Gauntlet, aint anything gonna get in it's way! It would be so jaw dropping to see this pull up and and people piling out and the kitchen fold out in the campground. I'd be mesmerized. That would be a heck of a caravan vehicle to take but it's not an Airstream. Wonder if the Sky Deck could be modified. That tour video was pretty cool shooting out the window, cameras of course, and the giraffes, elephants, zebras and hippos. Those native dancers really jumped. So exotic. I dream...

I would love to join the caravan and have a real adventure but I am just going to stay back "home" and root for you all and follow your blogs. Unless anyone is hiring staff, then I'm your gal.

How will the communication be handled on the caravan?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStrmFltRN
As a now ex South African who is also a proud Airstreamer, I would not go on this caravan (Cape to Cairo) even if you paid my whole salary for the entire time I was way and some other bonuses. It sounds exotic and exciting, but as someone who comes from that continent only 4 years ago, I would caution anybody thinking of participating in this caravan. Health issues, safety and security, crime, poverty, corruption in most of the African countries...the list goes on and on. Take it from someone who has lived there for most of his life...DON'T DO IT. Period. I'd hate to read on this very forum about tragedies that befell my fellow American acquaintances while on such a journey. Dont expect any protection from the American governement either as it wont happen.
Not a cycnic here, just a realist.
Thanks for posting this info. There are risks with everything in life. The success of any venture comes from knowing what the risks are and then creating a risk mitigation plan.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Put emotion and desire aside.

Be honest with yourself and realistic in your wieghing of all the factors.

In reading all the posts and threads I fear some are being led by emotion and desire. I freely admit I could be very wrong.

Plan for the worst and be prepared for it.

If you choose to go I wish you good luck as this is honestly a trip of a lifetime.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
_

. , .
IF u have any real interests, please see my earlier posts in this thread...

and the links (and message) left by the artman in post #13...

it is unlikely ne1 involved with the trip will provide any useful info in THIS thread.

the title is wrong (the 2nd leg is n>s planned for 2010) it's cape town UP to cairo in 09...

and the opening premise isn't the message, we plan to gather a-round.

i will be bumping one of the other more useful threads today...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I still have mixed feelings about any joy to be found in Africa. I've spent the past 6 years in and out of Nigeria and Angola, and was recently a Resident of Egypt, all for work (3G wireless network integration). Angola and Nigeria aren't on the route, I may be heading back to Nigeria in a month (Ibadan and Ilorin).

I'd rather take a caravan from Dallas to Buenos Aires. The only real threat there is the Darian Gap (Panama/Colombia), but that can be bypassed by ferry. The border area of Colombia to Venezuela is iffy, but you can get great deals in the border town of Maicao, when I lived in La Guajira, you could get a decent Wayu wife for about 50 goats (mine cost me a house). I haven't been there for about 10 years though. Maicao is a duty free zone, Stoly vodka was 2 bucks a bottle when I was paying 15 in California.

To drive down the dream coast of Northeastern Brazil on the nightmare road of BR101 would be a fantastic adventure. La Guajira in Colombia is srtikingly beautiful, and you go through Santa Marta to get there.

Here is a pic from in front of my house in Brazil. I used to joke that I owned a 2 door Mercedes, a driver and 21 seats. Did I mention my day driver? Man, she is hot! (My wife also.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000007.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	65565  

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
How about:

Capetown, CA to Cairo, NY

We can even stop at the pyramids in Las Vegas!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
I have not commented on the upcoming trip to Africa for a long time. I found that any information that I could furnish was not needed. And that is fair. 1959 was then, 2009 and 2010 is now.

I have been reluctant to pass on two interesting discussions I have had recently.

One discussion is with a world renown figure, that specializes in Africa, and has been there many times. Over the past twenty years he has changed his routes, and his visitations to the Africa that he knew.

He shook his head in dismay when he discussed the the possibilities of a trip to Africa.

The second discussion was two-tiered. The first conversation was discussion of adventure. The person felt that the African Caravan will be an adventure of a life time. This person had been on a bus trip through Saudia Arabia. There were several buses traveling a highway. A random group of bad guys selected one of the buses in their line and killed all passengers. It might have been his bus. He said this is what adventure is all about.

We met a second time. He said Pee Wee you are right, Africa is no place to take a Caravan. He had talked with a South African at great length. The South African told him about the current conditions in Africa and how they relate today and tomorrow to a Caravan from Cape to Cairo and Cairo to Cape. Not a positive trip.

Not great conversations.

How safe is it for Americans? A random death in Beijing of an American. And this in a tightly controlled police state.

Or the death of a tourist in Guatemala, hacked to death by bandits.

Dale