Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Travel Beyond US/Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Corrales , New Mexico
Caravan from Nogales to La Paz via Ferry?

I am looking for travelers that I could join, at least to San Carlos. I am towing a '68 Trade Wind south to La Ventana BCS, one way, to leave for a few years. We need a place to stay to enjoy this view...

I am flexible on departure dates. Anytime after now, however sometime in 2010 would be nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parcelaview.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	96347  
mrmatticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
1987 29' Airstream 290
Renfrew , ontario
Hello, I am looking for caravaners to go through central America at the end of 2010. I am not sure where San Carlos you refer to but I am heading to San Carlos Costa Rica. If you are interested, send me an email.Donald (skid4u)
xeniamd(at) sympatico.ca
Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
The ferry is super expensive, have you considered just driving down the baja? You could head south and then take the ferry from La Paz across to Mazatlan and then continue south down to Costa Rica. Be sure to stop and see us on the Pacific Coast of Mainland Mexico on your way, we're 2 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. www.ranchosolymar.com. Our beach looks just like the one in your photo, incredible! We've also had great camping in Costa Rica in the carribean side down near the Panama border. Enjoy and keep me posted when you're ready to split.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

We have a house in San Carlos, Sonora. It is on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez, about 260 miles south of Nogales, Arizona.
San Carlos has a number of advantages for the r.v. traveler. It is on Highway 15, four lane all the way from Nogales. It is in the so called "Hassle Free Zone" meaning no Mexican vehicle permit required and there are two nice r.v. parks in town and a third one in nearby Guymas. San Carlos is located on San Carlos Bay on the Sea of Cortez. There are numerous charter fishing and diving boats. It is a small rural town located on the desert. It is scenic and there is lots of walking and biking as well as a primative golf course.
We took the ferry about four years ago from Los Mochis (Topolobampo) to La Paz. Cost at that time was about $1,000 for a truck and a 25 foot trailer. Expensive yes, but if you are going to southern Baja from the midwestern U.S., you have some extra travel expense driving down the Baja.
We have as far south as Chetumal on the Gulf of Mexico side and San Patricio on the Pacific side in various r.v.'s. It is a mainstream adventure with experiences well beyond those of r.v. travel in the U.S. and Canada.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
How times change. Took the ferry from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo San Lucas in the 80's. It was about $45 dollars then . With a 30" rig and 3 first class passages.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

In the good old days the Mexican government subsidized the cost of the ferry. Sadly, that no longer occurs.
The cost of a passenger seat on the ferry is quite moderate but the cost for vehicles is by the foot--the longer the more costly. There is a lot of truck traffic back and forth between Baja and the mainland. Truckers are willing to pay the cost of the ferry because driving from the mainland to Baja takes a lot of time and uses a lot of fuel.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote