Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Travel Beyond US/Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #121
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger
Not sure if this relates, in any way, to insurance you might need for this trip, presumably underwritten by someone here in the US.
thanks for diggin around on this issue per...

looks like we're back to valid u.s./canadian license and the aaa thing.

there are a variety of insurance issues and coverages needed...

some will be underwritten stateside and other abroad/internationally...

other ideas or solutions are welcome!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #122
Rivet Master

"Incidentally, around here in the North East, it sounds like the going rate for getting a CDL-B is about $3K including the test. It requires about 80 hours of training. The CDL-A is about $5K, including the test. It requires about 160 hours of training."

In MO-USA you can simply schedule to take the written CDL-B at the local DMV, then when you are ready (you can purchase video tapes and manuals or hire a training facility) you schedule to take the pre-trip & driving potion of the exam. I've had employees that I supervise pass all on the first try, others the pre-trip & driving takes a couple of tries...I think it goes on mechanical aptitude and taking it seriously. Anyway, having met Joe, I think he would have no problems with any of this. I hear he does good on tests! )
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Interesting thread...

Yes, all very interesting.\

The one thing I have not seen referenced is a carnet and the cost associated with it.

This alone will probably "blow" any ideas about selling any/all of the vehicles and/or trailers at the completion of the journey.

For those that do not know what a carnet is please see:

Travel

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #124
_

. , .
hi jim

thanks for the post info, and WOW what an adventure you are taking...

we are aware of the carnet de passage...

essentially a passport/visa/bond for imported vehicles/trailer.

required at the border crossing for some of the countries in route.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi jim

thanks for the post info, and WOW what an adventure you are taking...

we are aware of the carnet de passage...

essentially a passport/visa/bond for imported vehicles/trailer.

required at the border crossing for some of the countries in route.

cheers
2air'
Right you are.

In theory, the objective of the carnet is prevent people from bringing in vehicles and selliing them for profit thereby reducing the maket for locals.

AAA Canada handles all carnets for vehicles registered in North America.

Be aware that you must get the carnet stamped upon entry AND exit of a country. If the vehicle is NOT with you when you exit, or the carnet does not have an exit stamp, you forfit the bond that you posted for the carnet. Generally the carnet value will be 3 to 4 times the value of the vehicle.

This alone is one reason why most folks do not travel with new vehicles; or vehicles that might be "perceived" to be worth much.

Good luck in your adventures...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Sort of a latecomer to the party

We committed eleven months ago to this fantastic dream, but were more involved with sticks'n'bricks, work, family, stuff. A few weeks ago one of the other CCCC people commented to me, "the people without a trailer for the Africa trip may not feel very committed yet." Bingo!

For me, the trip seemed a little dreamy, pretty unreal being so far in the future. (even though it isn't, considering all the stuff we all have to do to get ready)

I just wasn't really getting into it until we locked into a trailer this week. We pick it up Monday, an Argosy 24. Now we're tuning in more sharply. Now I find this forum. Now I find the CCCC group site (at least I think/hope I did). Read this thread tonight and it pumps me up. This is great!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Argosy 24

I have an Argosy 24' for sale that I will sell outright for $1500 to someone needing a trailer to take on the Capetown to Cairo Caravan. It is a good deal. I have $1800 in it. It has new floor up front. I'd love for this trailer to go on Caravan. You can do what you want up front on the new floor. It has the center Gaucho / bed area with lots of storage and rear bath. It will need propane lines run and tanks. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:50 AM   #128
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Rob you so want to go.... just sign up already. Have you devulged the other carravan to anyone yet?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Cape town to Cairo

Here are a few regular guys livin' the dream.
Long Way Down

check out the gear, the route, and similarites of the adventures of past and future.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #130
_

. , .
thanks for the link '62...

those guys are quite the adventurers.

as i've noted before tourism IS a big business on the dark continent and growing rapidly...

while the most recent turmoil has slowed some bookings for travels,

it is expected this will rebound in a few months.

tourists, business ventures, and development of natural resources continue to expand...

some of the these issues create NEW problems but tourists AND economic deveopment are positive forces...

and have been expanding exponentially.

the north-south TRANSCONTINENTAL tours and treks are a regular part of life in africa NOW...

there are literally 100s of treks each year, on FOOT, by motor, and even by BICYCLE...

Tour d'Afrique Ltd. - Tour d'Afrique

look at their route, the organization, the NUMBER of people doing this bike ride, and so on.

google africa tours, africa travel, africa safaris and you will see endless combinations of eco-adventure-trips.

THE 3 BIGGEST issues (imo) for our current planned jaunt are...

1. total $ costs for the trip and the time commitment needed.

there is a limit to how much many can afford or want to spend, while 4 others that isn't a problem.

2. trailer issues.

initially the plan was pretty simple, take an old trailer modified slightly for local needs...

use it for both routes, and sell/leave it in south africa when done.

but many of the folks NOW seem to want to highly (costly) customize a unit or not share it with another family...

and have the trailer shipped BACK to the states afterward.

this approach adds SIGNIFICANTLY to the the overall COSTS for the individual or group...

3. lastly securing tow vehicles is still a major issue for the group. the simplest approach would be to buynsell some local diesel mules.

securing NEW or DONATED vehicles is more complicated and currently the goal.

this issue may not be clear until much LATER this year, like october 2008 or later.

it's a key element, as u can imagine, and greatly impacts #1.

IF the group just wanted to take an RV TOUR, that could be arranged and underway in just a few WEEKS.

because TOUR COMPANIES already do these trips routinely....

give the tour company MONEY, book a flight, do the routine preparations and GO!

taking streams, working with sponsors, not using a formal tour company (to reduce costs)...

AND making the trip a "spectacle" with media outlets are the MAJOR RISKS and ROADBLOCKS...

nothing ON the african continent is a limiting issue, they even have koa type camping parks all along the route.

although the "pet walk" and playground equipment are different!

IF any thing the fact that SO MANY PEOPLE FROM EVERYWHERE are already doing these treks....

makes this one LESS compelling to equipment/gear sponsors, media and others not part of the 'airstream cult'...

cheers
2air'

IF there were any exciting, useful or significant new info to share, i'd share it....

and i'm seriously thinking about the BICYCLE TRIP linked above in another 2-3 years!

read through their bios, blogs, personal websites, the route info and so on...

it's sort of like ragbrai or raam, but with an occasional elephant to dodge or bush meat burger!