Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Anyone traveling to LaPaz in 2015?

Hi: My husband and I are thinking about a trip with our AS to LaPaz - if anyone has plans to do the same, we'd like to hear from you. OR, if you've done the trip recently with your AS, we'd like to hear from you also. Thanks, Kathy
vakathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Bolivia?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
I assume it's Baja.
We were there last year and had a blast!
Here's a short video of the two month trip through Baja. Thought you might enjoy it!
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Anyone traveling to LaPaz in 2015?

Just tagging into this thread. We have always been of the opinion that Mexico had turned into a no-go because of the killings and crime. This opinion is totally my own and it might be completely wrong so getting people's input will be interesting.

By the way I tried to look at Mikes video but it does not want to play within the AirForm app on my iPad. A direct link http might be better

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Thanks, Arcticfox for the great movie! So you went with a caravan, correct? Kathy
vakathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I love the movie!!!!

but FYI, ruminants with four stomachs are not capable of digesting bread...it balls up in their second stomach. If they eat enough of it, they will starve.

(Former Park Ranger speech to stop tourists from feeding bread to the deer in Yosemite....)

I am leaving tomorrow for four to six months on the west coast of the mainland, with my dog, three surfboards, cameras, a mountain bike, and a scrabble game....
Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

We go there every year in our boat but have made the trip in a travel trailer.
It is desert, no drug growing and not near the smuggling routes. We anchor in remote anchorages most of the time and have never had an issue with theft or violence.
The road isn't the greatest so take your time and don't travel at night.
There is a network of convenient campgrounds all the way down. They are not always easy to find so you need a book. Dwight and Terri Church have written the best ones.
La Paz has the best maleacon (beach promenade) in Mexico and the restaurants are first rate.
On the way down, you can drink fine wine at the Valle del Guadalupe, watch the whales at San Ignacio and Mulege is a good stop about half way down.
San Jose del Cabo is 140 miles away from La Paz on the best road in The Baja. There is on the beach camping in Todo Santos and Vagabundos del Mar campground near Cabo San Lucas is still open. San Jose del Cabo has a beautiful downtown art district and restaurants or par in quality and price with southern California. If you like the honkytonk party thing, you will like Cabo San Lucas.
The sea and beach life is wonderful so bring your kayak.
If you don't like the drive (it is 760 to La Paz) you can drive a better road (Hwy 15) from Nogales Arizona to Los Mochis Topolobampo and take the ferry from there to La Paz. The ferry is expensive with trailer and tow vehicle.
It helps if you speak a bit of Spanish, but you probably can get by with none. Most of the people who come in contact with tourists speak some English.
If you have not been to Mexico before, you might want to partner with someone experienced for your first trip.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
By the way I tried to look at Mikes video but it does not want to play within the AirForm app on my iPad. A direct link http might be better
I entered a direct link and AirForums converted it. It will play from here. If you're still having problems, go to YouTube and search for Two Gringos in Mexico (by Mike Anderson) and it will come up.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
I entered a direct link and AirForums converted it. It will play from here. If you're still having problems, go to YouTube and search for Two Gringos in Mexico (by Mike Anderson) and it will come up.
Thanks Mike - I looked the video up on my desktop this afternoon and it worked perfect. Interesting video!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Bolivia?
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title of the thread. Been to La Paz, Bolivia a number of times and I would hesitate to recommend it as a destination from the US towing a travel trailer!

John S.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Just tagging into this thread. We have always been of the opinion that Mexico had turned into a no-go because of the killings and crime. This opinion is totally my own and it might be completely wrong so getting people's input will be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
You know some may think the same about St. Louis, MO now. Well, I can tell you that the bad stuff is only happening in a very small 5 mile x 5 mile area and the rest of the city and county (where we live) is the same old good place in which to live. I think the news media takes great pleasure in scaring the daylights out of people about certain areas and Mexico is one of those areas. I visited Isla Mujeres this past summer and had a wonderful time. The people were so nice and pleasant, the restaurants were wonderful and we did not see any violence or beheading.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I live in La Paz and have traveled the road many times. Of course can be done but the road is unforgiving. If any questions don't hesitate to ask. Interesting that you are from Salida as I spent a couple of days there last summer. Very nice campground as I recall right on the river.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Graysailor, what's the update on Baja since the hurricanes?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Cabo San Lucas was hit pretty hard with lots of damage. Here in La Paz not so bad. No water or electricity for 2 or 3 days then just a matter of clean up. I do have a number of friends who anchor their boats out in the bay. Many were blown off their anchorage and ended up on shore. Three lost their lives by staying on their boats. Winds hit up to 160mph. Driving down the highway from San Diego a couple of weeks ago I really could not see much damage at all. The desert has never been greener with all the rain. Beautiful.