Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Networking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Monteverde , Puntarenas
South America

Hey anybody know anything about pulling an AS from us to Argentina or reverse? Im looking for options for this drive and about a year long trip. I have always loved the AS style and this would be my number one choice. Any One?
ShannonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
A friend of mine has done it on a motorcycle. You have one substantial problem: The Darien Gap in Panama-Colombia. There is no road. My friend had his motorcycle loaded onto a cargo plane and flew across. I recall him mentioning that there were barges that made the trip as well. Whether a trailer can do it is a question I don't know the answer to.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I was going to post about the lack of roads. Any roads are most likely to be "suggestions" on a map. I have traveled in a Land Rover and it was not easy.... no way of towing a delicate, low slung Airstream.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Where has the sense of adventure gone?

Did Wally stop at the sands of the Sahara?

Did Hillary Clinton stop 100 feet from the top of Everest?

No!

The pass has been done in vehicles. Not easily, but it has happened.

Could you imagine arranging a meeting with Airstream, Dodge, Ford, or (God forbid) Toyota. Walk into the room and say "Ok guys, who wants to make a commercial...."

We're not pulling a Space Shuttle, but I bet this trek would open some eyes.

(I guess I should clarify, I'm not suggesting the ENTIRE trip needs to be driven, but it is certainly possibly to make the trip using RORO.

An attempt to take an Airstream thru the 90km jungle would be probably a 4 year adventure!)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Shannon,

It seems that you are in Costa Rica so it might be easier to solicit reliable advice from there than ask for it from up here.

On the other hand, you are talking AIRSTREAM so this is the right place for that.

Here is some information on the so-called Pan American Highway. If it’s up to date and accurate, it might be possible to travel by road from Alaska to Argentina, except for a relatively small gap in Central American, near to you.

Pan-American Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may also want to check the CIA Factbook if you get into serious planning, and surely before any setting out. Local conditions and traditions can be very difficult; the Factbook is mostly up to date, if not leaning too much to the caution side.

Bad driving habits and road conditions can be treacherous as well. In CHILE, for example, entire busloads of people careening down the sides of mountains to their death, is a common occurrence.

cia world factbook - Google Search

I was in South America for 6 weeks last winter, NOT with my ARGOSY. I didn’t see any trailers there but then I was only in the big cities of Buenos Aries, Montevideo, Lima and Santiago.

I did see some motor homes in Uruguay, at Colonia del Sacramento, near Montevideo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SA BUS 1.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	203209

Name:	SA bus 2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	203210

And this guy, living rough in a very beat up van-conversion on the streets of the barrio Abasto in Buenos Aries:

Name:	abasto.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	203211

This could be a real adventure. Imagine taking a year or more to travel Alaska to Argentina in a rig like mine:

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	203208

Name:	rig 1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	203207

I’m a little long in the tooth for that but I am putting my unit up for sale so adventurous people, younger than me, please apply!

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I would be amazed if you made it through Mexico without being robbed, your vehicle and trailer stolen, or you being shot! It happened to a friend of mine.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
From a person with experience with this stuff..... no way with a low slung Airstream.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Looking at some of the older Airstream videos on Youtube, it looks like a fear of bad roads should not be the end of this adventure.

Roads in Peru, Chile and Argentina, while they can be rough in parts, are not half as bad as sometimes suggested, especially if one sticks to the main roads.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dry vs wet are different animals...
Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
In my post above I should have written " treacherous roads in PERU". They might be in Chile too but this actually happened while I was in Lima and I learned then that it is a fairly common occurance in the country.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose if you really, really want to do it, it can be done, but I think there will be many challenges (lots of money helps too). I think the Darien Gap problem can be solved by loading truck and trailer on a railroad, but maybe I am wrong.

The dicey political situation in some countries can be more of a problem. I hear of people going to Mexico and having no problems, but I hear of other things too.

See if it can be done and let us know how it goes.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #12

Monteverde , Puntarenas
Sergie,

I appreciate the comment. Itīs helpful. I am quite confident I could easily get from US to Panama with the trailer. Since Trailers are about 3 times the cost my plan was to fly up north buy one and get on the road. There are no real forums on south america about trailer travel. I just donīt know if that is because they are useless and itīs impossible or if the all in one vehicle is just easier to get. We thought if we could get it across the gap that we could pay to park it for particularly treacherous side trips and just do it in the jeep and opt for hotels for this part. Im still working that out. The route might make that redundent for routes. anyhoo thanks for the insight!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #13

Monteverde , Puntarenas
All! Thanks so much for your insight in this. I am still exploring options and will for sure keep everyone posted as the journey unfolds!