Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Ken

1967 20' Globetrotter
Mountfield , East Sussex
Hello from a new member in England

Hello, we have just bougt a 1967 20' Globetrotter, recently inmported from the States. All Airstreams are pretty rare over here. We hav 6-8 week wait for some conversion and re-fitting work before we can collect it.

It will be used for guest accomodation and for holidays for me, my wife Hannah and our two girls Nancy 5 and Cora 2.

I'd like to source an owners manual or a sales brochue for this model. Can anyone suggest a place to try, preferably with a web-site?

Many thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hello there, from the States!

The brochure and manual are hard to find, but I have a copy. I was just considering making some copies to give to others on the forums, because I had a request from another '67 owner who needed some information and diagrams that are provided in the manual.

I'll be happy to copy the manual for you and send it to you, if you post pictures of your trailer in return! We love to see pictures!!

It will take me a few days to get it to you, but if you PM me your address I'll send you what you need.

Welcome to the forums!

Ingrid

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Greetings from the other side of the pond. We have several members here from the UK and Europe. They tell us many stories of the strange looks they get pulling the Airstreams around over there.

Try Airstream Corp website. www.Airstream.com Somebody posted not too long ago that they were selling older editions of the owner's manauls and shop manuals these days. If they are of no help, do a search on this site for a company called Secretarial Services. That's where many of us have purchased ours. Be prepared to shell out a couple of bucks, however. I think I paid about $85 for the shop manual. The owners manual was about $45. I am a bit dissatisfied with my copy, too. It is essentialy just a photocopy and the quality is a bit poor (especially for the money).

Good luck with it, let us know how it works out for you.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Ken,

Welcome you and yours to the forum and welcome to 'streamin' in cyberspace. We'd love to see some pictures of it in progress or the end result.

I had to edit: I personally am very interested in the very different idea of towing I've seen at the Airstream English website. The wheels look too far forward to me. I'd love to hear what you have to go through to meet the old Globetrotter meet your European standards and match up to your tow vehicle. I've noticed that many of the Airstreams in Europe tend to be towed by American iron. What are planning to use as your tow "horse?"

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
repair manual

welcome

rrecently bought repair manual from airstream factory at www.airstream.com/shop. mine is for a 75' year they may have yours or not! they are copies of the originals but decent quality. i paid 60 american which is fair.

my parents neighbors in florida are from england. nice people. i have had on occasion a few speckled hens, good beer.

have fun

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Ken

1967 20' Globetrotter
Mountfield , East Sussex
Speckled Hen

Hi, Crowbar. Watc out for that nglish beer, it can be extremely potent. Fun though!!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Ken Taylor
Old 06-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Ken

1967 20' Globetrotter
Mountfield , East Sussex
Tow car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, Ken,

Welcome you and yours to the forum and welcome to 'streamin' in cyberspace. We'd love to see some pictures of it in progress or the end result.

I had to edit: I personally am very interested in the very different idea of towing I've seen at the Airstream English website. The wheels look too far forward to me. I'd love to hear what you have to go through to meet the old Globetrotter meet your European standards and match up to your tow vehicle. I've noticed that many of the Airstreams in Europe tend to be towed by American iron. What are planning to use as your tow "horse?"

Lamar
Hello Lamar, to get the Airstream ok for UK it needs a completely dfferent front towin arrangement, including a jockey wheel. It also needs anew axle, machined from scratch. Lights aren't a problem as it's a vintage vehicle, except some extra lights have to be fitted. The change to the electrics is another story (!!) and llt he appliances (cooker etc) need to be very carefully checked or (sadly) changed.

I will post pictures but I'm not sure how to do it yet.

Ken Taylor
Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Ken

1967 20' Globetrotter
Mountfield , East Sussex
Further

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAYLO_KE
Hello Lamar, to get the Airstream ok for UK it needs a completely dfferent front towin arrangement, including a jockey wheel. It also needs anew axle, machined from scratch. Lights aren't a problem as it's a vintage vehicle, except some extra lights have to be fitted. The change to the electrics is another story (!!) and llt he appliances (cooker etc) need to be very carefully checked or (sadly) changed.

I will post pictures but I'm not sure how to do it yet.

Ken Taylor
Sorry Lamar, I meant to add that our tow car is an Isuzu Trooper Citatin, 3 litre diesel turbo.

Regards

Ken.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Wheels too far forward-

A result of the tongue weight demands- which is something like 75KG, about 160Lbs- which they never get to happen. Our tongue weight is something like 350 or 400lbs.

The laws there are impossible to actually tag an Airstream with a current certificate. almost everyone there is buying them and tagging them with a grandfather clause because of age. I know of people who have used electric brakes, weight distributing hitches, and everything else that came from the US, and have driven there for 10 years that way.

Let me guess, Miss Sarah?
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
on the road with it !!

Hi There
Welcome to the airstream univers.
Hope you're going to be on the road with your airstream this summer.
Because we're having the european airstream meeting here in the south of france, we'd love to see you here, a good chance for you to meet other european airstreamers and see other models + info.
Not forgetting it's going to be fun.
The dates are 4, 5, 6 august near Toulouse.
It's not that far and I'm hearing more about cheap ferrys these days.
If you want to know more have a look at my site and get back to me.
Bye for now
Old 06-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #11

1976 23' Safari
Loxwood , West Sussex
hello from west sussex

Hi ken, good to another airstreamer in the South of England. How are you enjoying the new addition to the family? Does it need much work and have you found out how to post pictures yet?
Jamie
jamieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
amberieu en bugey France , france
Send a message via MSN to frederic.c01
hi all
U.K is a ground of asylum in Europe for the airstream trailers.Welcome on the forum and with much of pleasure for a meeting at the edge of the road.
English friends if you have photographs of your airstream with a small history be the welcome on my blog.
fred

https://airstream.blog.expedia.fr/
frederic.c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
For ..."Streaming Beers" or Beers for Steamers!

Ken and family, welcome!

I will look out for you, nice to know another UK 'Streamer - Specially in the South! I only know the Motor-Home croud at present (Another in Salisbury) but, we are all of the same stable? arent we??

Just returned from a trip to N.Yorks. Booths in Clitheroe..... finest selection of bottled beers and 90% are under a pound. a bottle!!!! - Not to mention a few trips round Theakstons and other breweries (Hick! )

Needless to say I am now a few pounds(£) lighter and the bar in the 310 fuller!

Chuck
Dorset UK
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Hampton , Middlesex
Love to know how you are getting along with your trailer as I am looking to import one and reading through this forum it seems that there is a lot to do before one can even be towed in the UK! Is it best to buy one in Europe that already has the UK electrics do you think? Does the whole trailer have to be taken apart to do the electrics? Must keep in touch and see how you are getting on.
Cheers Jeremy Gibbs (New member)
romanywg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Jeremy -- and welcome to the Forums! The narrowest Airstream product was the 7'6" wide Minuet of the 1970s. Older Airstreams are nominally 8' wide, though my Argosy is closer to 7'10". Airstreams over 22' became 8'6" wide in about 1993-1994. Travel on your roads and with your available tow vehicles will be problematic. Do I understand correctly that waste dumping is handled differently in Europe? So there may be more issues than just electrical. Structural issues with older trailers can take huge amounts of time to set right, but one can be proud of having a classic well before the job is finished.

I've seen websites of various enthusiasts and resellers in Europe. Wonder if anybody else has those? Or Google... There is also http://europe.airstream.com/ to consider.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Hi
How are you getting on?
We import to order and bring the occasional one in for ourselves as well. We may be able to help you even if you have found one already we do the full UK/EU conversions as well as shipping. I will pm you with our contact details in case you need a hand getting through it
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanywg
Love to know how you are getting along with your trailer as I am looking to import one and reading through this forum it seems that there is a lot to do before one can even be towed in the UK! Is it best to buy one in Europe that already has the UK electrics do you think? Does the whole trailer have to be taken apart to do the electrics? Must keep in touch and see how you are getting on.
Cheers Jeremy Gibbs (New member)
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
My Goodness!
I don't think I've seen so many UK airstreamers in one place on the forums. Hi Ken, Chuck et al! Can I suggest that Romsey is half-way house between Sussex and Dorset and not too far from Middlesex! I'm more than happy to host if we can all get together. There's a nice pub down the road!
Silverconnie, get down here with one of your Airstreams! I get lots of admiring looks for my AS. A small rally would probably get the local papers out! Lol!
Marc
Old 08-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Hi Marc
That sounds like a good idea and next time you can all come to us! If this could be arranged maybe we could put it on our forum and get some more UK Airstreamers involved
What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
My Goodness!
I don't think I've seen so many UK airstreamers in one place on the forums. Hi Ken, Chuck et al! Can I suggest that Romsey is half-way house between Sussex and Dorset and not too far from Middlesex! I'm more than happy to host if we can all get together. There's a nice pub down the road!
Silverconnie, get down here with one of your Airstreams! I get lots of admiring looks for my AS. A small rally would probably get the local papers out! Lol!
Marc
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote