Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #21
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
The wife remains indifferent I'm afraid. Will keep you posted.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I know it may be a hard choice between knowing the outside temp and keeping your wife, but I know you will make the right choice. My wife bought the temp thing for our Safari, so I am keeping her. I can't wait until she brings me another electronic thing with lights that flash and cryptic instructions. She sure knows how to keep a marriage alive. Her birthday is coming up and maybe I'll get her a vacuum to show my appreciation, or maybe a mop—I think a mop is more personal. If I get her a mop, maybe she'll get me a Porsche 911. We already have a remote temp and humidity sensor for the house, I think the Porsche is next.

We've been together 25 years, perhaps surprisingly.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #23

LOL.... I think the mop is an excellent choice.
Funny you mention a Porsche. I was buying a porsche for the wife last year, and she showed absolutely no interest. She did not even want to go see one for sale with me . So i said screw it and bought myself one.
She rides shot gun though and likes it.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #24

Update on the thermo. It works just great on the front hitch so lesson for me....Dont put your transmitter anywhere near the solar charge controller.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
zedex, now I know I should have married you—a Porsche and an outdoor temp monitor. I think I am going to swoon.

Gene
Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #26

Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene. Please reconsider getting your lovely wife a mop; I can only imagine what she would do to you for this gift, and with it. I really don't want to meet you in person for the first time, while you are recovering in a hospital.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #28

UPDATE........AGAIN.......

Back to the drawing board. Reciever lost communication. So i am trying the transmitter under the door step area.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I have a model that appears identical to the one ROBERTSUNRUS displayed on the 1st page of this thread. The sender is in the fridge and the receiver is in the TV so I can keep up with it's temp while on the road. It works well except for when we occasionally get separated from the trailer and the receiver locks onto someone else's transmitter. For that I press the small reset button on the receiver and all is well again.

I purposely bought another wireless thermometer that transmits on a different frequency. Finding a location for the transmitter took some thought. I came up with a secure bracket that mounts on the topside of the spare tire in it's carrier under the front end of the trailer. It stays dry there and never picks up heat from the Sun. It also transmits through wood, not aluminum to the receiver.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #30

Hmmmm. Over the spare or in that area sounds good and will try that next. Thanks Yankeedoodle.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
LOL.... I think the mop is an excellent choice.
Funny you mention a Porsche............ So i said screw it and bought myself one.
Nice Porsche. Not sure about the mop, though. My DW would not appreciate the mop or the vacuum. I think I'll steer her away from this thread, although I find it kind of humorous.

BTW, what is a solar charge controller?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #32

A solar charge controller is a voltage regulator if you will. It monitors solar amps from the panel and distributes the current appropriately. Also gives you battery status,amp draw etc.

Update to the other 2 updates.
The step area is a no go, over the tire is a no go,above the exit door is a no go,i am trying now a location close to the tire where there is a tiny area where there is no aluminum belly wrap. The problem with this model i think is there is aluminum everywhere including under the floor.

I am almost done with the wireless method. If this area does not work i am packing it up and going the hardwired route.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The problem is all this new fangled stuff. Back in 1975 we had honest to god thermometers with a remote sensor...from the factory and it is still working some 36 years later AND it has needles that move that show you minimum and maximum outdoor temps. No batteries required

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob & Nancy,

For solar you get a panel which transforms solar energy to electricity, wires and a controller which takes the power from the panel and converts it to 12 v., charges the batteries, hopefully has a 3 stage charger, allows you to observe the voltage, whether it is charging, and a few other things.

You can mount more than one panel on the roof and some controllers can accommodate more than one.

We never have had a conflict between the controller and the temp monitor or outdoor sensor, but we placed the sensor in the rear bumper compartment and the monitor on the dinette table, also at the rear; the controller is in the other direction.

Gene
Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #35

Update of the update.

I mounted the transmitter under the airstream where there is a 2" x4' strip of exposed flooring with no aluminum covering it. Its the only place on the whole trailer that gets communication. What a pain .
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It was much easier just to run the wire than what you're going through zedex.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It was much easier just to run the wire than what you're going through zedex.
Your not kidding. And probably 100 times more reliable since it will probably fall off and i will run over it not to mention twice as many batteries to replace..
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This thread has been interesting. I had no idea so many people had so much trouble with their remote thermometers. We use a simple La Crosse weather station that we got at Camping World. It shows the current temp and records the high and the low if you care about that sort of thing. It has been very reliable, works perfectly and is quite accurate. The first hard part is finding the best place to put the outdoor sensor so that it doesn't get wet and is out of the sun. If the curb side of the trailer is in the shade all the time I simply lay the sensor on the side of the step. If the step is exposed to sun at any point during the day I put the sensor on the inner ledge of the wheel well. The second hard part is remembering to take it inside when you move! We've lost one sensor that way. Duh. We have solar and we've never had any kind of interference that we know of.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #39

I dont think it had anything to do with the solar at this point. Just the frequency trying to get through the double aluminum shell. Plus the floor has the aluminum belly wrap. The frequency output on the transmitter is proabaly so low it could not get through the shell.
The transmitter i am sure is not water proof but is probably water resistant to some extent as the battery compartment has a rubber seal. Time will tell.
I was originally looking for a lacrosse wired unit which i had in my Boler. No one around here sells em so i am stuck with these ones. This is the one presently installed.
Nexxtech Wireless Indoor/ Outdoor Thermomter | Indoor/Outdoor Thermometers | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #40

Updated again. The latest wireless thermo quite communicating with the outside transmitter so i gave up and put a wired unit in. Believe it or not wired units are getting hard to find as everything is wireless.