Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
What would you think about no toilet/no shower?

Haven't been on here in a couple of years, but getting an Airstream is once again strongly on my mind! That dream never really died, but I've recently had the time to really start thinking about it again and have been looking.

In order to maximize space in a smaller trailer (thinking of getting a 22') I have been considering mostly gutting one in rough shape and building it out from scratch, without putting a bathroom back in it. This would allow us to put a bigger bed in it (a double most likely) and create a little bedroom in the back where the bathroom was, with a kitchen in the middle with booth table (where we'd be able to brush our teeth and wash up a little using the sink), and sofa in the front that could fold out into another sleeping space. We'd mostly park at campgrounds, and when we don't, we'd utilize truck stop showers.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else who decided not to keep their bathroom to maximize space? Do you think this would get old really fast, or do you think they're kind of a waste of space? I'm not worried about the resale factor. Appreciate your feedback! Thanks so much.

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
AtomicKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I think it would get old really fast. If you want to conserve space you can certainly go with a wet bath arrangement where the sink, toilet and shower are all part of the same space. I suspect you could make a wet bath arrangement in less than 10 sq. ft.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a wet bath in my Tradewind and really like it thought I am 6'3. When practical I will use public bathrooms though. I have also seen suitcase size portable toilets. But when I need my toilet, I really need it.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I can't even imagine no toilet-no shower. When we quit tent-camping and back-of-the-pickup camping these many years ago, the idea of an in-house (so to speak) toilet was so wonderful--you don't have to get dressed with a bursting bladder, dancing from one foot to the other, in order to go out in public and use the facility. Or tiptoe along with your flashlight at night. And although I am grateful for public showers, I always am leary of lurking spiders, athletes-foot germs, and my clothes falling off the always-inadequate hooks onto the questionably-clean floor.

OK, so I'm too picky, but that makes an A/S just too wonderful for words in my book: don't skip the loo and the shower!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you're going to at least want a toilet. If not at this moment, over time.

The wet baths are very small, but also very functional, and allow all needs to be met wherever you may be.

We have met a few people with trailer remodels who had no formal bathroom, but did have a camp toilet in a corner that met this need and was carried out to be emptied.

Served the purpose, without committing the space to s formal bathroom.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We do not use the shower in the Avion, and only have a portapotty. Works great for us. Potty can be stored in a cabinet on the floor when not in use. Dumps in a dump station or at a full hookup site. We use campground facilities mostly and only the potty at night to pea in. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I admire individuals thinking as individuals, so certainly different people have different expectations from their Airstreams.

Two of the criteria for the trailer I wanted before i started reconstruction of the 72 were a standard size shower with plenty of hot water and a flush toilet with a real trap.

I really like my showers, they are one of life's simple pleasures, and as a person who used to drive a truck several months a year for many years, I don't like having to wake up from a sound sleep and have to get dressed prior to making the 350 yard trek to the toilet or shower. I have been there and done that, although admittedly I only duke in the A/S in a dire emergency.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
One of the things I love about having a trailer is having my own toilet and shower. I hate using public facilities and I am at an age where I get up during the night. Having my own toilet close is nice. I would not even consider a trailer with no toilet.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Thanks everyone for the insight and input so far!

I think a wet bath might be a great option for us. I'd just like to avoid the full bathroom if possible. I feel like a bathroom sink is also unnecessary as well (since the Airstream is so small, we can always use the kitchen sink to wash up). Some may think this is weird, but it doesn't bother me.

Also, I like the suggestion of a camp toilet. Takes up little space, and can be emptied out. Thinking a similar thing with the shower. Maybe we can instal something that can be mounted to the side of the Airstream or freestanding for an outdoor shower. I happen to really love outdoor showers.

Looking forward to hearing any other ideas/input. Thank you!

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We don't have a bathroom sink, and do just fine.

I have two round dishpans in the kitchen sink. One for dishes, the other for trapping handwashing water and to use with a bit of pinesol for cleaning.

Works great, both can be dumped in the toilet for the larger, black water tank.

Maggie
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicKiwi View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight and input so far!

I think a wet bath might be a great option for us. I'd just like to avoid the full bathroom if possible. I feel like a bathroom sink is also unnecessary as well (since the Airstream is so small, we can always use the kitchen sink to wash up). Some may think this is weird, but it doesn't bother me.

Also, I like the suggestion of a camp toilet. Takes up little space, and can be emptied out. Thinking a similar thing with the shower. Maybe we can instal something that can be mounted to the side of the Airstream or freestanding for an outdoor shower. I happen to really love outdoor showers.

Looking forward to hearing any other ideas/input. Thank you!
Hello: My first Airstream was a 2005 22 ft International CCD. (Yes the one with the broken frame problems. My frame was fine when I sold it, but the subsequent owner had problems.) Even though THOR screwed the pooch on this design with a bad frame and OSB floor, it had the BEST wet bath you'll ever see. It was in the rear roadside corner, and was fiberglass top to bottom with an integrated small corner sink at standing height. There was a curtain you could pull to isolate the toilet and it's paper from the shower. GI showers were - fill sink with hot water, scrub with washcloth, Turn on shower head and rinse down. Worked FINE and the shower fit in as the sink faucet. I quick squeegee prevented most spotting on the fiberglass. It was about 4 x 3 feet with the door on an angle. Comfy for even large people to use - and a porcelain toilet.

I think you can still buy the fiberglass for this wet bath, but you have to have the current evolution of the curve - not a real old A/S.

Paula
Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Thanks for the info Paula! Sounds ideal. But alas, I would be getting an AS from the 90's or earlier (most likely 70's).

Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
I have had to deal with a non-working shower in our previous Agrosy, but NO way would l go without a toilet. I tend to need a nocternal pitstop and there is nothing worse than having to put on your clothes and shoes and stumble out of the trailer with a flashlight at 2 am in the morning (alone in the dark) to use the public facilities. NEVER AGAIN!! That's why we bought an Airstream...for the amenities. I do think that would be a challenge when it came time to sell the trailer, too.
loriinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In addition to all mentioned above, if you ever sell the trailer you will take a bad hit on price because most people do want a toilet and shower and selling one without them is going to reduce your market a lot.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks for the info Paula! Sounds ideal. But alas, I would be getting an AS from the 90's or earlier (most likely 70's).
Some of the 70's models have a center bath that are kinda like what Paula describes, not nearly as nice but sort of an all-in-one-type unit. Just another option to consider.

We gotta have one, can't get along without it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Haven't been on here in a couple of years, but getting an Airstream is once again strongly on my mind! That dream never really died, but I've recently had the time to really start thinking about it again and have been looking.

In order to maximize space in a smaller trailer (thinking of getting a 22') I have been considering mostly gutting one in rough shape and building it out from scratch, without putting a bathroom back in it. This would allow us to put a bigger bed in it (a double most likely) and create a little bedroom in the back where the bathroom was, with a kitchen in the middle with booth table (where we'd be able to brush our teeth and wash up a little using the sink), and sofa in the front that could fold out into another sleeping space. We'd mostly park at campgrounds, and when we don't, we'd utilize truck stop showers.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else who decided not to keep their bathroom to maximize space? Do you think this would get old really fast, or do you think they're kind of a waste of space? I'm not worried about the resale factor. Appreciate your feedback! Thanks so much.
Hi, just buy a 28'er and keep the bathroom.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Remember with a portapotty you can go in the trailer and not have to walk to the campground facilities in the middle of the night. We use the campground for 2 and the potty for 1. I would prefer a bathroom but my trailer has no waste tanks at all. I will not waste camping money to install a bathroom since all is working out okay now. My opinion. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The actual fact is that is doesn't matter what any of us would think. It is what you would think that is important.

Personally I think it would suck. I love having the toilet with us so I can go to the bathroom in our own personal toilet at any wide spot in the road.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The actual fact is that is doesn't matter what any of us would think. It is what you would think that is important.

Personally I think it would suck. I love having the toilet with us so I can go to the bathroom in our own personal toilet at any wide spot in the road.

Ken
Hi, two times while traveling, we were stuck on the side of the road for hours. One time it was because of a fire and the other time it was because a big rig dumped his load. Sitting on the side of the road for two or three hours isn't fun, but we had our bathroom, kitchen, and dining area. [kind of felt sorry for all those people stuck in their cars while we had lunch and use of our bathroom while waiting]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
When we decided to upgrade from tent camping, we got a custom floorplan 13 foot Scamp: four-place dinette in back (permanently set up as double bed), two person dinette in front, and no bath. It worked well for us. We camped 172 nights over 12 years with it. We were both working as techno-slaves and wanted a low-maintenance trailer. With this Scamp, we had no worries about dumping, plumbing leaks, winterizing, de-winterizing, sanitizing the fresh tank, air conditioner drains....

After the 12 years, we retired and got a 25FB Flying Cloud Twin. We love it, but it's WAY more complicated.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote