Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicKiwi View Post
Thanks for the info Paula! Sounds ideal. But alas, I would be getting an AS from the 90's or earlier (most likely 70's).
Some of the 70's models have a center bath that are kinda like what Paula describes, not nearly as nice but sort of an all-in-one-type unit. Just another option to consider.

We gotta have one, can't get along without it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Haven't been on here in a couple of years, but getting an Airstream is once again strongly on my mind! That dream never really died, but I've recently had the time to really start thinking about it again and have been looking.

In order to maximize space in a smaller trailer (thinking of getting a 22') I have been considering mostly gutting one in rough shape and building it out from scratch, without putting a bathroom back in it. This would allow us to put a bigger bed in it (a double most likely) and create a little bedroom in the back where the bathroom was, with a kitchen in the middle with booth table (where we'd be able to brush our teeth and wash up a little using the sink), and sofa in the front that could fold out into another sleeping space. We'd mostly park at campgrounds, and when we don't, we'd utilize truck stop showers.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else who decided not to keep their bathroom to maximize space? Do you think this would get old really fast, or do you think they're kind of a waste of space? I'm not worried about the resale factor. Appreciate your feedback! Thanks so much.
Hi, just buy a 28'er and keep the bathroom.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Remember with a portapotty you can go in the trailer and not have to walk to the campground facilities in the middle of the night. We use the campground for 2 and the potty for 1. I would prefer a bathroom but my trailer has no waste tanks at all. I will not waste camping money to install a bathroom since all is working out okay now. My opinion. Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
The actual fact is that is doesn't matter what any of us would think. It is what you would think that is important.

Personally I think it would suck. I love having the toilet with us so I can go to the bathroom in our own personal toilet at any wide spot in the road.

Ken
Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The actual fact is that is doesn't matter what any of us would think. It is what you would think that is important.

Personally I think it would suck. I love having the toilet with us so I can go to the bathroom in our own personal toilet at any wide spot in the road.

Ken
Hi, two times while traveling, we were stuck on the side of the road for hours. One time it was because of a fire and the other time it was because a big rig dumped his load. Sitting on the side of the road for two or three hours isn't fun, but we had our bathroom, kitchen, and dining area. [kind of felt sorry for all those people stuck in their cars while we had lunch and use of our bathroom while waiting]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
When we decided to upgrade from tent camping, we got a custom floorplan 13 foot Scamp: four-place dinette in back (permanently set up as double bed), two person dinette in front, and no bath. It worked well for us. We camped 172 nights over 12 years with it. We were both working as techno-slaves and wanted a low-maintenance trailer. With this Scamp, we had no worries about dumping, plumbing leaks, winterizing, de-winterizing, sanitizing the fresh tank, air conditioner drains....

After the 12 years, we retired and got a 25FB Flying Cloud Twin. We love it, but it's WAY more complicated.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just buy a 28'er and keep the bathroom.
That's where I'm at.
I'm new here, but I started out with a 31" SOB in 1990 (the year after my youngest daughter was born). Since I raised (only) girls, going without a bathroom was out of the question. Over the years, it sure was nice to have a nice clean and safe place for those girls to use.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Some go there to think and sit...

I go there to stink and ..... (I believe a similar sentiment was found as a graphitto on a wall in a loo in Pompei.) How necessary is "the necessary"?

Of course a porta-potty is adequate if space and a desire for simplicity are high on your priority list. Let's face it, anyone can sponge bath with 2 quarts of water and a washcloth. And occasionally all of the conveniences of home do malfunction. When you think of the tow vehicle expenses of hauling a big Airstream around, the small simple vintage ones without all of the bells and whistles DO make a lot of sense. Fewer things = fewer things to need maintenance.

I wouldn't fulltime in a unit without a fully functional bathroom, but if the camper is used on weekends and 1 or 2 full weeks a year... financially a "tin tent" makes a lot of sense.

This weekend I met a camper who had gotten his first RV experience when his house was flooded in Hurricane Isabel. They lived in the front yard in a SOB that was tied into the water,electric and sewer while their house was rebuilt (on stilts raised 10 feet above the ground as prep for the next one!). He remarked, we had no TV, computers, only odds and ends of dishes, pots and pans... but we enjoyed our time "camping out". The kids learned to play chess, checkers and Monopoly, etc... and they talk instead of texting, run instead of sit in front of the TV, and have real conversations with their parents. They're kinda drooling over my Airstream, but you can see that the kids are happy helping dad keep the old SOB functioning.

A bad day camping beats a good day doing just about anything else. Do whatever makes you happy!

(However when I first started out, I left a rally where the food was unusual and spicy... 3 hours out, I got "lower G.I. distress" of a most urgent nature. Had I not had the Airstream - I dread to think... PA turnpike in heavy traffic, 30 miles to the nearest rest stop? ACK. There are times you might consider selling your soul for a roll of T.P. This was one of those. Having no water in the supply tank? Well a "box o wine" was my next best choice....

Happy trails, and IMHO a bathroom can mean "happy tails!".

Paula
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Check out the layout of a mid 60s Caravel. Best use of space of any Airstream. Full bath in the rear. The way the shower curtain is arranged in ours, the only thing that gets wet is you, the shower pan and the curtain.

We would never consider using any travel trailer that didn't have a full bath.

We always say "your own head, your own bed and your own galley".
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb What would I think...

Quote:

What would you think about no toilet/no shower?
"Geez, I sure wish I had a toilet & shower."

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We've had no plumbing at all inside ours since we've put a new floor in. Truth be told, we haven't missed it. We started with a tent, went to a pop-up and then rescued Eddie from the deer woods. We've always cooked outside and have never had a bathroom, so it's nothing new to us.

Don't get me wrong, we'd like to put ours back eventually, we just have been two and a half years so far and haven't gotten to that point. I built a large bed in the back where the bathroom used to be and the kids have their bunks in the middle. The "master" gaucho is now a storage area and there's a wrap around lounge up front. It definitely won't work for everyone, but it gets us on the road and an airstream in a campground.

Now if we'd made the move from a fully contained rig to this one, the wife may be a little more concerned about the state of the plumbing.....
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I pull an Avion 34X (34' triple axle) with the mid bath that is on both sides of the trailer. It's got the biggest tub I've ever seen in an RV, even a Prevost. Wouldn't trade it for anything

Never owned a tent. I used to walk out into the woods with a Bowie knife. Come back five days later. Make a shelter out of sticks and leaves, sleep on a root (never owned a sleeping bag, just slept on the dirt in a coat...froze my #$@# off....), eat inner pine bark, go to the potty against a tree.....It was fun. And I was a teenager.

No man, those days are over. I like my Simmons Beauty Rest King mattress, my SeaLand Traveler elongated bowl porcelain toilet, and my big bath tub and shower. If that makes me a "Glamper" then so be it.

I respect those that want to rough it, but I've been there and done that to the max. I like the Silver Apartment On Wheels!

See ya on the road,
Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post

It definitely won't work for everyone, but it gets us on the road and an airstream in a campground.
Ahhh, therein lies the difference...we like to boondock or pull over for the night at places other than just campgrounds.

We progressed from backpacking > tent camping to our Airstream...dry beds & our own "facilities" were the biggest contributing factors for the switch. But, we still like to go to off-the-beaten-path locations that being self contained allows us to do...albeit in more comfort & style than a tent.

BTW, the area dedicated to a "bathroom" in our trailer is only about 29"x39" tucked in a radiused corner...it's a wet bath we affectionately call "the bird bath" - it does the trick without sacraficing real estate in our 22' trailer.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote