Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
TPMS systems: I need education

Hand in hand with upgrading our rims/tires, we're thinking about a TMPS system. But I just understand so little about these things. Among the things I don't understand is the (imagined?) distinction between flow-through and cap-sensor systems. Heaven knows, I may just be dreaming up distinctions that don't even exist! Help me understand, please!

I guess I should link to a system for sale on Amazon that does look interesting, though, again, figured on the basis of no knowledge at all. Please let me know if I'm all wet by thinking about this choice!

Amazon.com: 6 Tire RV/Truck Cap Sensor Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): Automotive

Lynn
Old 11-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The first thing to consider with any stem mounted TPMS system is the fact that you have to have metal tire stems. They may say otherwise but don't drink the cool aid. The sending units will cause the stems to flex to the point of marking the rims and eventually braking the stems off at the base.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok, check. Metal stems.

How about the flow-through vs. cap-mount business? Does flow-through imply that the unit is installed somehow differently, essentially taking the place of a stem? This is one of the things that's giving me fits.

Lynn
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Not sure about flow through. Most are secured to the valve stem and we also recommend metal stems. The weight (at least of pressure pro) is about 3/8 ounce per sensor and while the flexing is minimal, there is is some with rubber stems. There was a company that made one that strapped to the inside of the rim but they required breaking down the tire to install and/or troubleshoot.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you're getting new tires consider an internal system like Dill.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I bought a Dill system with the flow-through sensors. They are what all cars/light trucks sold in the US in 2007 have. They are mounted inside the wheels by a tire dealer and sample pressures and air temp inside the tire.

I'm in the process of mounting a DILL wifi transceiver on the trailer which will relay the data measurements more effectively to the dash mounted TMPS receiver from an antenna mounted underneath the trailer. I found that there are blind spots created by the trailer's wheel wells and the truck's camper shell that caused inconsistent readings when relying on the receiver's little antenna.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Terminology. Caps are just that,they fit over the end of the stem (metal stems should be used) and need to be removed if you need to check or add air to the tire.

Flow Thrus also screw onto the valve stem, are usually longer, but you can check and add air without removing the sensor.

Lastly are internally mounted sensors. Sensor and valve stem are a single unit. All you see externally is the valve stem. As mentioned this is the type of system that is on passenger/truck tires. Simple to check/add air.

Caps and flow thrus usually allow the user to replace the battery. Internals usually need factory replacement, about every 5 years or so. Haven't have to do that but would hope that the brand you buy does a cross ship so that the tires only need to come off one time for the exchange.

TST, Dill, Pressure Pro, Tire Minder are some of the more recognized brands. I use the TST with internal sensors. I like the small size of the receiver, it has a rechargeable internal battery that seems to last for a month or more.

Haven't heard of the brand you mention from Amazon. Lot's of knockoffs out there.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Interstate flyer,

I'm on my second Dill system sold 1st one with the 15's. My full size pickup and 30' trailer, no problem getting signals but I do use the roof mount remote antenna.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I mounted the remote antenna under the hitch but still had blind spots. They sent a wifi transceiver to be mounted on the trailer that will boost the signal from the remote magnetic antenna mounted between the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, this is just the kind of info (and education) that I needed! Thank you, all!

Lynn
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The first thing to consider with any stem mounted TPMS system is the fact that you have to have metal tire stems. They may say otherwise but don't drink the cool aid. The sending units will cause the stems to flex to the point of marking the rims and eventually braking the stems off at the base.
Howie,
With all due respect:
I think you may have sipped the elixir of gullibility. (drank the Kool Aid)

I approached this subject with the manager of the local DTC when I attempted to buy "metal valve stems". He told me that all the stems they and most reputable tire dealers use are rubber coated metal. We took an old one apart by the shaving off the rubber and by golly he's right. I then asked the owner of Hawkshead (who made my TPMS). His response was the same. He said the only reason he sells them is because some guys just won't believe him and insist on having pretty chrome stems. I have used my Hawkshead TPMS (which has the largest sensors I have seen) for over 5 years and many miles with no bad consequences whatsoever. I would find it extremely annoying to have to take a tire off the rim to service a sensor.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes what are commonly considered as rubber stems do have a metal liner. Without that liner they could not hold pressure much above 5 lbs. You may remember the effect of air pressure on rubber from the days you played with balloons.

I would ask anyone still puzzled by my comment that "you need METAL STEMS when mounting a TPS" just go out and apply slight sideward pressure on the rubber stems on your trailer. The resulting displacement is what will happen at 60 mph with a sensor mounted on the rubber stem. The sensor will come to rest against the wheel and will leave a mark and likely damage the sensor.

A metal stem is mounted with a nut tightened down on a flat rubber washer. This configuration will not allow any displacement of the stem regardless of the weight attached at the end of the stem and the centrifugal force generated by your speed. .

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Yes what are commonly considered as rubber stems do have a metal liner. Without that liner they could not hold pressure much above 5 lbs. You may remember the effect of air pressure on rubber from the days you played with balloons.

I would ask anyone still puzzled by my comment that "you need METAL STEMS when mounting a TPS" just go out and apply slight sideward pressure on the rubber stems on your trailer. The resulting displacement is what will happen at 60 mph with a sensor mounted on the rubber stem. The sensor will come to rest against the wheel and will leave a mark and likely damage the sensor.

A metal stem is mounted with a nut tightened down on a flat rubber washer. This configuration will not allow any displacement of the stem regardless of the weight attached at the end of the stem and the centrifugal force generated by your speed. .
I would much more inclined to respect what you say if:

You presented any evidence whatsoever.

You bring forth any reference not from some RV forum that in anyway that adds facts instead of what I believe to be conjecture and hearsay.

If what you say is true, why have I logged so much time and so many miles, a lot of it at speeds in excess of 60 MPH, with no broken stems and no marks on my wheels. I have ten sensors installed. I monitor all 8 road wheels and both spares. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL THAT YOU SO CONFIDENTLY PREDICT

When I am not towing, I still have sensors on the truck and drive at speeds well in excess of 60 MPH. I also drive in the snow and ice when those build up on the sensors.

Perhaps I'm a pathological liar.

There are people on these forums who make decisions on what they read here. It to me is irresponsible to post things that you cannot personally provide evidence to support. Perhaps at some time in the past this may have possibly have been a problem, if so, that is not the case now.

If you post things that you have not experienced yourself, I suggest you preface them with:

"I don't know, but I've been told."

Ken

P.S. when I drive, I've yet to see anyone outside pressing on my tire stems with their finger.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
DILL TPMS sensors stems are metal with the sensor mounted internally. The only way to fly in my opinion. It is the standard that all auto and light truck manufacturers use. The stem mounted sensors seem vulnerable.

The only advantage that I can see with the external cap system is that you can move the cap sensors around when you rotate your tires instead of having to reconfigure the TMPS system to identify the correct wheel on the display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DILL TPMS.png
Views:	298
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	225947  
Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Even if metal tire stems were needed, so what. Spend a very few bucks, remove the tires and install them, You are good for a long time.

If you opt for internal sensors, you will have to take the tire off the wheel to install them AND anytime a sensor malfunctions.

That would annoy me.

If I were to have a malfunction, I would simply swap the bad sensor with the one on the spare, and still be monitoring all road wheels. It would take all of about 90 secs to do that.

if you feel you want or need metal stems, they are not expensive

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #16
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I would much more inclined to respect what you say if:

You presented any evidence whatsoever.

You bring forth any reference not from some RV forum that in anyway that adds facts instead of what I believe to be conjecture and hearsay.

If what you say is true, why have I logged so much time and so many miles, a lot of it at speeds in excess of 60 MPH, with no broken stems and no marks on my wheels. I have ten sensors installed. I monitor all 8 road wheels and both spares. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL THAT YOU SO CONFIDENTLY PREDICT

When I am not towing, I still have sensors on the truck and drive at speeds well in excess of 60 MPH. I also drive in the snow and ice when those build up on the sensors.

Perhaps I'm a pathological liar.

There are people on these forums who make decisions on what they read here. It to me is irresponsible to post things that you cannot personally provide evidence to support. Perhaps at some time in the past this may have possibly have been a problem, if so, that is not the case now.

If you post things that you have not experienced yourself, I suggest you preface them with:

"I don't know, but I've been told."

Ken

P.S. when I drive, I've yet to see anyone outside pressing on my tire stems with their finger.
Common sense tells me Howie is right more often than not about the valve stems. you are correct that alot of people take these forums to heart about the info presented here. Because you have gotten by with no problems why should everyone believe the gospel according to Ag&Au. To error on the side of overkill is not a bad thing especially if you are along way from home and in the middle of nowhere. I tow for a living hauling new and vintage campers so I can't afford to break down from something simple as a valve stem problem. Because you are adamant about no metal valve stems for you someone may read that and have a problem in the middle of nowhere. That is part of the problem with this forum alot of statements by many posters are made just hear themselves type.
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamdreamn View Post
Common sense tells me Howie is right more often than not about the valve stems. you are correct that alot of people take these forums to heart about the info presented here. Because you have gotten by with no problems why should everyone believe the gospel according to Ag&Au. To error on the side of overkill is not a bad thing especially if you are along way from home and in the middle of nowhere. I tow for a living hauling new and vintage campers so I can't afford to break down from something simple as a valve stem problem. Because you are adamant about no metal valve stems for you someone may read that and have a problem in the middle of nowhere. That is part of the problem with this forum alot of statements by many posters are made just hear themselves type.
I am not adamant about no metal valve stems. I think they are certainly as good as the rubber coated ones. What I am adamant about is is people with no experience with external TPMS sensors conjecturing or parrotting information they have read elsewhere as absolute fact. According to the manufacturer of the TMPS I use, I'm am not just "getting by". I am conforming with his recommendations.

If you will note Howie did not say he recommended metal stems because they were a step up or better. He stated they were absolutely necessary and all the terrible things that will happen to anyone who doesn't use them . I and many others are living proof that's not true.

I find your last statement, since it appears directed at me, offensive. You don't know me or my intentions. As a matter of fact since you have presented nothing other than your opinions; no experience, or facts about the subject matter, perhaps you should think about whether that may apply to you. Do you have any experience with RV TPMS systems or valve stems that you would like to share that may help the OP?

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Fwiw, I use the Tire minder system and it has worked well. I'm very happy with it. It uses externally mounted cap transmitters. This is an exert from the manual:

"As the TireMinder[emoji768] transmitter only weighs 0.3 oz, it will not affect tire balance. As well, due to their light weight, they may be used on wheels equipped with rubber valve stems."
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Fwiw, I use the Tire minder system and it has worked well. I'm very happy with it. It uses externally mounted cap transmitters. This is an exert from the manual:

"As the TireMinder[emoji768] transmitter only weighs 0.3 oz, it will not affect tire balance. As well, due to their light weight, they may be used on wheels equipped with rubber valve stems."
Thank you. If one looks up the Tire Minder and The Hawkshead unit that I use, they will note that they appear to be identical. I am convinced that the only difference is the logo on the screen at boot up. If I am ever at the same place with someone with a tireminder and time on our hands, I would like to see if they will recognize each other's sensors.

Ken
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Boys, boys, boys, you're starting a mud fight in a thread started by a moderator, for heavens sake! Behave yourselves!

Lynn