Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Room walls?

I'm early in the stages of designing the interior for my "forever Airstream" which'll be a 70s 29 or 31 footer.

I'm quite set on the idea of a rear bedroom that is visually separated from the rest of the AS. Most AS remodels retain the center or slightly off-center walkway back, with items on either side.

Has anyone done a refurb where they've put a wall across the majority of the width, and left the access on the far left or right? Got photos? The shape of the shell makes it handy to walk right along the side of the A/S - especially as both me and my SO are 5'7" or less.

I'm considering this option, then putting the bathroom sideways across that wall with the shower on the wall-side and the toilet more central.

This seems to me to be a great use of space. If you have a better idea for more solidly separating the bedroom from the living area, please share, with photos!

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
What about the balance from side to side? I can't visualize what you're saying, but it seems like you'd have to be very careful about not overloading one side of the trailer -- the central "hall" forces to equalize the furnishing to a certain degree.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
_

. , .
the 2 sets of stairs or ramps,

going UP over and DOWN at the wheel well will offset the weighting issue.

more sensibly, the overhead lockers/cabinets and UPPER wall/dividers...

can be done in such a way as to create the feel of a more off center space...

without actually MOVING the foot path much.

this was/is done on some rear bedroom units from the early/mid 90s,

before the upper corner radii were pushed out.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I can see where moving the aisle to go through my shower, just inboard of the wheel well would possibly work. Trouble is that uses additional wall space to get into that side aisle which would impact the galley counter in a bad way.

Putting "objects" along the walls is the most space efficient. That's why virtually all trailers have a center aisle.

I actually like to look the full length of the trailer, especially since I changed out the queen for twins. It makes for a much more spacious feeling.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I shall explain more clearly:

The rear bed would run across the width of the trailer, so it would only be occupying the rearmost 5'. There would then be a 24" gap, then the wall. So the wall is 7' from the back of the trailer. This leaves another 4' 6" before the wheelwell. The bathroom would occupy 3'6" x wall width.

I could make the wall 9" deep and turn it into clothing storage space?

Attached is a quick sketch of an example of what I mean. The bed could be across the back, or to one side. I placed the wheel in position for a 31 ft, but would be 1ft closer on a 29 ft, I believe. There's room to do it. By simply not putting a counter within 30" of the toilet doorway, I can still have a small kitchen/fridge KS, and plentiful storage SS and a much larger living area than is normal - an extra 4-6 ft. Note, I have abandoned the front kitchen idea for now due to weight distribution issues. Also, the kitchen area would be small and light.

The bed is also extremely light and could go across or down one side with minimal weight distribution impact. The main deciding factor on bed position is where the access doors are.

My rationale: Rear bedroom with visual separation (and not just a curtain) is a must for my SO. I like the idea of the toilet and black tank being more central between the rails, and also being more forward so the black tank isn't too rearward. The gray tank would be right before it and be close for routing water from the shower and the kitchen area. She wants a "proper" shower.

Currently, with this plan, I'm looking at an estimated 4200 lb dry weight and 460 lb tongue weight. That's down from 4960/490. Would be nice to get it under 4000 lb dry, but that's a stretch. Not a huge stretch, but a stretch nonetheless.

Comments? Suggestions? Better ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	demo.png
Views:	81
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	111325  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Your wheel well looks pretty far forward to me. Have you measured the distance from the rear wall to the wheel well?

In my Excella, it's about nine feet (just measured). To leave room for the walkway beside the bed, putting the bed completely against the rear wall would leave you about two feet if you use a full bed instead of a queen. That would place your bathroom rear wall about where mine is and the toilet about the same distance from the rear wall (but more in the center). The back of the wheel well (nine feet from the rear wall) is only about seven inches in front of the toilet. That would place it right in your walk space by the bathroom.

My Excella is 34 feet. The wheel well would intrude on the walk space even more in a smaller trailer.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
_

. , .
yeah that ONE wheel well looks forward, and the other one is gonna be an issue too.

while the double axle units have SHORTER wheel wells they are still significant.

making UP a bed with 3 'contact' sides is a pain.

crawling OVER a mate is no fun either.

3 walls in contact with a mattress is all the more moisture/condensation to deal with.

AND that back wall is a lot more curved in real life...

which equals a smaller bed area than might be imagined.

this circuitous hall takes up 2x the floor space normally used 4 halls, just to walk around corners.

and where's the furance/ducting and plumbing gonna go ?

a real wood pocket door (centered) can completely close off the rear if that's a requirement...

at the very least the crapper would be easier to use if OPEN to the bed area (think master br)

black tanks/toilets and drainage are normally NEAR the perimeter with SHORT pipes 4 a reason...
________

alot of folks have spent countless hours here trying to REinvent floor plans ...

that are supposed to be lighter/easier/more functional that those used originally.

not many have done that successfully,

especially with plumbing, toilets and major appliance systems (furnace, water heater/pump/fridge/stove)

a double bed place LONGITUDINALLY along the street side wall with a streetside toilet and shower...

or a split bath with a REAR entry door (2nd door) would create more options...

but brainstorming is relatively harmless and inexpensive.

withOUT the design objectives, absolute requirements

and other personalized issues only U may know...

those providing feedback are at some disadvantage.

(don...'norcal bambi' was doing a 3/d sketch-up thread with folks, find it)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Assuming Vaughan is wrong, and it will all fit, two comments:
  • It looks to me that you are enclosing the toilet and shower in one enclosure. This limits access, especially if one partner takes long showers or (whatever).
  • As with all beds bordering on two or three walls, it would be devilishly difficult to make this bed, particularly for one equal to or less than 67" in height, or equally, for the partner against the back wall to make a quiet nocturnal exit.

Not to mention the side entrance/exit making the trailer unusable in its next life for someone 5' 17" like myself.

[Edit: I type too slowly!]
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Assuming Vaughan is wrong, and it will all fit, two comments:
  • It looks to me that you are enclosing the toilet and shower in one enclosure. This limits access, especially if one partner takes long showers or (whatever).
  • As with all beds bordering on two or three walls, it would be devilishly difficult to make this bed, particularly for one equal to or less than 67" in height, or equally, for the partner against the back wall to make a quiet nocturnal exit.

Not to mention the side entrance/exit making the trailer unusable in its next life for someone 5' 17" like myself.

[Edit: I type too slowly!]
Agreed!

I guess I should mention that my 1983 Excella has the bed mounted sidewinder style much like the floorplan in Dave's design. There is a small area at the real wall and the foot of the bed to slide around while making it, the head is against the curbside wall. When I say small, I have to turn my size 12˝ narrow feet almost completely out to the side to get them in there. Shoes are out of the question. With this space between the rear wall and the bed, the room that remains between the bed and the back of the bathroom is only one foot. Getting two feet would require shoving the bed against the rear wall. It would also require a curved corner on the mattress.

I'm only 5' 11", and I pretty much max out the bed space.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Your wheel wells are too far forward. I have a Classic 28, actually 28' 10". I just converted to twin beds which are 78" long and fill the bedroom. The aft end of the wheel well is just about 3" forward of the bedroom wall. I know because I opened up the wall to access wiring.

I have the walk-through bathroom which I think is the best floor plan out there since it avoids the cubbyhole bathrooms in most models. The double sliding door forward of the bathroom and the single sliding door aft of the bathroom give plenty of privacy.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm taking your measurements on board, but using the measurements I got from a 70 31' Sovereign that was 31'11". (eep, I hope this isn't my measurements from that 34 footer!)

This will be a "forever" airstream for me and my partner, and we have no plans to sell it during our lifetimes - our plan is to entirely customize it for ourselves with no regard to what happens after we die.

We currently sleep in a bed that is closed in on three sides. We like this arrangement and have no problem with bed-making as we're quilt people and my SO makes custom fitted sheets that stay in place very well. She can make a firm custom mattress that is very comfortable, yet light.

For the bathroom/shower, this can work even if it impinges over the wheel-well. The main thing is moving the black tank forward, and keeping the toilet over it.

I'm asking these questions now at this very early stage so you folks can point out these flaws and problems. It'll be at least a year before this goes into a construction phase, but knowing the potential issues helps me incorporate them into the design.

My overall objective: make it not feel like a tunnel - less counters, more open, LARGE living area, small kitchen, shallower counters/draws, "side dinette/office for two", and anything that feeds into doing those things well, I like

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay not sure if this was pointed out because I do not get all the posts in this thread... But you are designing in a tube. The more off center you go, the less height you have. You might bump your head a lot.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I am short. I am unable to bump my head.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I am short. I am unable to bump my head.
I'm jealous. Everything on my TT's ceiling eagerly awaits my head, so as to add to the scar collection.