Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
You may run the risk of making the living space feel small, personally I like the centre hallway, but if you go with it then it will be totally custom, go for it...........

Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
In this case, we have more or less decided on not using a roof AC, but having an installed A/C with ducted air, which the gas heater can also feed. This would allow us to install a much higher SEER A/C that would have a lower current draw for the same BTUs. It also means we'd be able to get the air where we needed it.

I have seen only one pocket door in my travels, and it was well designed, but broken.

I think my SO is trying to achieve an effect of line of site privacy, and avoiding that "tunnel" feel.

If there's no door, a simple two layer stick and sheet partition could suffice. With a few spots of construction foam for sound deadening and firming, it would probably only weight about 50 lbs or so. If the inner wall backed onto a shower/bathroom, and was shower wall sheeting, even better.

I'll do some drawings after I get this month's magazine finished...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #31
_

. , .
it IS a tunnel

much of the appeal of 70s units (mohos or trailers) was the look/feel of modern JETS from those daze...

tambour overhead lockers a lighted center isle and off/white light weight aluminum guts covered with vinyl.

...long streams feel like tunnels.
________

one can attenuate that feel like this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ics-39783.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ics-47492.html

but adding PRIVATE spaces is tricky.

the front bed room (with door) bunkhouse gets close

with mid galley/dinette sofa and sleeping spaces at both ends.

but it's a wide body with pushed out over head corners...

70s units are tubes with a LOT less interior space than later streams.
________

ONE could make the stream taller by 1-2 foot, very simply.

inland has done this for TALL rich owners.

for short people this added height

would let your magic side hall happen over the wheel wells AND provide space for under floor hvac.

that's all doable in mohos which are built UP so much taller.

we have STUFF mounted on the roof because there's space up there...

and most believe inexpensive AC can be used and serviced easier (and it's more efficient) on top.

anything is possible with money and a hammer.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Exactly.

Which is why I'm trying to work out the wall issue first. A wall means one design philosophy, and a tunnel means a different, more traditional design philosophy that has a lot of knock on implications.

This all came about because SWMBO wants an "L" shaped kitchen that's really small, and where the walkway is at the side, and my mental gyrations trying to work out how to make that happen and have it be useful and buildable.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
i know it won't necessarily help with your problem of wanting a bedroom wall, but i CAN say i've revamped the floorplan of my Airstream, mainly for the same reason you did. i'm living in it, i want it the way i want it.

my unit is a 1964 26' Overlander, and in '64 they all had rear bath. this one had 2 gauchos. i wanted something a bit more livable. if my mother-in-law visits, i don't want her stumbling over our bed in the middle of the night to reach the can. i don't want to have to 'put away' my bed every day. so we modified our layout based on a 2007 '25 safari rear bed layout. much like your design our bed fills the whole back, and yes, i have to climb over hubby at night. we can deal with it... and sometimes it even leads to a little... ahem...
anyway
our mattress is nothing more than 6 inch foam with the back corners cut off to match the curve of the wall, and i use standard full-size sheets on it. because it's foam i can cheat and pull the whole mattress to me as i stand at the hall and stretch the sheet over the corners, then let the mattress spring back into place. no big deal.

our trailer is a bit shorter, so we definately didn't have room to try to go around the wheel wells, you *might* be able to pull it off in a longer trailer, but i don't know. we have the hallway to the back slightly offset to make room for the bathroom. the toilet sits alongside the wheel well, and we squeezed in a tiny black tank for it between the frame cross-members. we bought a tub pan that had a raised lip that sat right over the end of the wheel well and forms a shelf inside the shower. the other wheel well is hidden in the closet/under the kitchen cabinets. our kitchen stayed in the same location. even the fridge is in the same location (saved trying to relocate that vent! ) we routed the tank vents around and out the same holes they originally went out (we even reused the nifty curved pvc pipes we'd pulled out during deconstruction.

we removed 3 windows. one that used to be where the shower wall is now, and two that ended up in storage space. removing them isn't so hard.

for what it's worth, i recently had the opportunity to visit some friends and see the inside of their rigs, wander the kitchen, use the bathroom, etc... and for as small as we are at '26, with our current layout it felt so much more spacious than those other rigs we saw. even our tiny cubby-hole bathroom feels bigger. and i've had more than one person say they've always wanted to see the inside of an Airstream, step inside, and the first thing out of their mouths is "wow, it's so open in here!" or something similar. i guess that's just a reassurance that if you CAN'T quite swing the side-hallway thing, you can still have plenty of space.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
katzklaw - thank you for a very informative and encouraging post!

Do you have any photos you'd like to share, here or privately?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
do i have photos. do i have photos? hahahahahahaha

ahem *clears throat*

sorry

yeah. i have loads of photos. i have a thread devoted to the complete renovation here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...one-28855.html. most of the same info can be found on my blog if you go back to the beginning. but here's a few highlights relating to what you're interested in:

this is a shot of one of the windows after it was removed:
http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1175211977

for reference, it looked like this before: http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...7&d=1174688230

this is the inlets for the toilet and shower into the black tank
http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...2&d=1181238547
(i know normally shower goes to the grey, but we figured... you pee in the shower. send it to the black tank. the hot soapy water will help clean it out. lol)

this post includes pictures of another window removed, the location and layout of the bed and bathroom, including shower pan and toilet mock-up locations.: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...tml#post404972

not the best pic in the world, but you can at least get an idea of how the space 'opens up' from the hallway

i can dig for more photos, but i hope that gives you an idea... or several
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Well, you have given me a wonderful idea and solved my bathroom problem all in one go!

And yes, I did just spend two hours reading that entire thread!