Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I aways used to say "I'd trade you" until I found out the Romans deliberately chose short centurions because they lasted so much longer in the desert. Then, I was happy with my shortness.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Arranging floor plans

It seems this is hypothetical since you have not selected the trailer yet but when we gutted our trailer it seemed as though we had a blank slate to put in a rear bedroom and mid baths but the reality was that windows were in certain places and vents (holes in the roof) were in certain places and we decided the cost benefits of moving windows and holes were high. We ultimately decided to pretty much follow the floor plan the trailer came with. So, if you're certain you want a rear bedroom, I would suggest you look for a trailer with a rear bedroom. If you want a curbside kitchen sink look for that as well. That is just MHO....and some advice that I have seen here before. Of course, if money is no object for all of the changes...by all means go for it....just keep us posted about your progress...we are always curious about rebuilds and how the look.pj

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
*grins*

I think the only limitations I face are fridge/heater vent positions, and not putting a wall across a window. The only remains of the previous layout will be window positions, since *everything* else is going. I can comfortably reposition ceiling fans, but I don't want to move windows. I may delete windows though.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Any aisle is wasted use of precious floor space unless their is functional use alongside of it, cooking, dining, stretching out from your lounge, dressing, and such. For efficiency, keep it in the center.

It would be a good idea to only allot required bath and bed length, then design your living, cooking, dining space first. That will answer your question of how you can access the bed/bath space.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This isn't a discussion about efficient use of space. It's a discussion about the practicality of a wall. I've never seen one, because everyone things any piece of floorspace must have something utilitarian in every direction from it. If I have half the storage, and 2/3rds the kitchen, and a willingness to experiment on my own dime...

I'm just playing with ideas on paper and with masking tape on the garage floor... Let's play with the ideas and focus on what can be done, not what's tried and tested

When I have some better concepts, I can create 3D models to see how they fit me and my SO.

Eg: How do you get a larger than twin bed in the middle of an AS without it being intrusive? only by not having anything opposite it, which sacrifices 6' of space. But having a rear queen, the aisle is only what would have been between twins anyway.

I know it's hard to discuss one idea in isolation: everything relates to everything else. I'm just playing with this single idea to see if it deserves further study or not, bt not seeing a single example of it, looks like I'm in blue sky territory (and probably going to be called a heretic!)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, if all rules and constraints are off and/or you are making them up as you go along (which includes not caring what happens to it after you have finished with it), then do you really need us to critique?

It doesn't sound like it to me...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I never asked for a critique. I asked if anyone had done it, so I could find out how it worked for them, or didn't. How did it look? What unanticipated problems did they have?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I say keep thinking and decide on a plan and then try to implement it. Since you are starting from scratch, modifications can be made at any time, ,even when completed. Rough mockups can be used and would give a truer dimensional feeling. It's obvious you have priorities, so everything else can be modified to fit. I like the hallway idea and personally think it will work. On the window idea, on the Airstream Interstate the windows are just covered up with the interior. From the outside it looks like a functioning window. jim
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Comments? Suggestions? Better ideas?
Quote:
I'm asking these questions now at this very early stage so you folks can point out these flaws and problems.
Quote:
I never asked for a critique. I asked if anyone had done it, so I could find out how it worked for them, or didn't. How did it look? What unanticipated problems did they have?
Really? Well, mea culpa, in that event.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
*grins*

Well, yes, you have tripped me up with my own words, and I apologize.

It's just a little frustrating when you're trying to find something out, and there's this strong emphasis on the negatives I have already considered, though there's no way for you to know that

I am open to criticism, and I'm not trying to stifle it. I was just trying to get past that to the "has anyone done it? How? What happened?" stage...

Once again, I apologize for the mixed message.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Hey, Dave, I'm doing a similar remodel project and have wondered the same possibilities. In my 24' Trade Wind, the wheel wells make the center aisle the best way to go. I was thinking I might try the pocket door that was designed for the original rear bath. Since we don't live full time in the trailer, we can tolerate the concept of one side against the wall. The one with the smallest bladder gets to sleep by the open side. And, with 3 dogs, comfort is just an idea made for dogs rather than people, so we all try to get along and make it work.

I like the idea of having two open sides on the bed, and a front private room might be good, but the electricals coming through on the curb side would be a lot to try to relocate. Our friends have a front bedroom in one of those white boxes, and a cool bed frame with lifts so lots of storage can be reached beneath the bed by lifting the mattress part (queen size, too), and they still have room for two sides of the bed with little hamper/bedside tables for each. [Without fail, if I say, Hey, I need a wine glass/screwdriver/toothbrushl/whatever, they go in, lift the bed, and come out with whatever it is I forgot to pack.] If I bit the bullet on the electrical relocation, maybe two pocket doors would work, one on each side, meeting in the middle, just enough room on each side. Stick the kids and the dogs in the middle and back, they don't always go camping, anyway.

Back to your original post -- I'll try to get some photos together this weekend.

After all I've done with the rear bath floor rebuild, putting a full bath in that space does not seem necessary. I'm thinking I'll put a minimalist bath/lav/shower along the side, and build up some bed space over the other side of the rear space and along the wheel wells. If that works out, I'll have the old shotgun style aisle, with the road potentially visible from front to back -- except for the rock guard. And the wall with the pocket doors. OH, good grief, never mind.

I was remembering, I got to this point so far because I only needed to fix one leak from a frozen pipe, but the snowball started down the hill and now, I have a fairly clean slate to start over with.

Best wishes in your project. Do what makes you happy, don't over-think it (within good caution and reason already brought to your attention), and have a good time.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
It's difficult not having anything to go on.

My SO wants a wall, so I have to ask. When I do the mock-up and walk it in 3D space, I'll know where the "dead" areas are, and I am happy to waste a few sq ft for her happiness. She wants an open, spacious living area and a minimal utility area (or what she calls the "in and out" area which deals with what goes into and comes out of... well, you know... and we're light travelers anyway so it's not like we need to carry a great deal with us.

I am trending against a sliding door. I don't see a practical problem with it as such, but I think it would be hard to do well. Does anyone have a sliding door that goes to a wall? How does that go?

And last night, after discussing AC and boondocking, an RV genset went on the list. I think it'll end up in the AS, so that'll be an interesting photo sequence for some! Lots of safety and practicality issues there.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I agree, it's a great idea. And, photos/drawings would help. No matter how much you read about it, it only makes real sense when you're standing there looking at the actual space.

Anne

[QUOTE=Dave Park;898544]It's difficult not having anything to go on.

My SO wants a wall, so I have to ask.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
...Does anyone have a sliding door that goes to a wall? How does that go?
ONE sided pocket doors ((c post #7)) (sliding solid doors between 2 street side wall panels)

were commonly used on many stream models with rear sleeping space.

mid 80s, until about 4-5 years ago, when they began NOT using ONE layer of the pocket.

many pocket doors had brass recessed handles and latches,

reminiscent of boating styled fixtures.

it's a clean/neat/reliable way to almost completely block off a space...

(typically there was a small gap at the TOP so that the AC could blow into the space...

and a small foot gap for return/circulation)

that's another issue with wallz that extend past the midline...

even with a potential for 2 ac units,

air still needs to easily/passively circulate and center isles facilitate that.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote