Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal , Arkansas
Residential Queen Bed

DW and I have a square trailer and have loved it. But the kids are getting older and it's time to think about a coach just for us. One thing we've learned is we both want a true 60x80 residential queen queen bed. We both love Airstreams but haven't seen a trailer that offers one.

We're looking at 27'-30' models. Is a residential queen a factory option? If not, is there enough room to replace the RV queen for the longer bed? Ankhs in advance for the help.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlay View Post
DW and I have a square trailer and have loved it. But the kids are getting older and it's time to think about a coach just for us. One thing we've learned is we both want a true 60x80 residential queen queen bed. We both love Airstreams but haven't seen a trailer that offers one.

We're looking at 27'-30' models. Is a residential queen a factory option? If not, is there enough room to replace the RV queen for the longer bed? Ankhs in advance for the help.
We just upgraded to a 2006 classic limited 34 footer with a queen bed set up. I had purchased an RV queen sleep number bed, and it is 60 X 74. I swapped out the airstream mattress with the sleep number and it fits the platform perfectly. My opinion is that the residential queen would be too long and there wouldn't be room to walk around the foot end of the bed.

Regards,

Reganzo

Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I believe the models, maybe 80's and later, where the head of the bed is under the rear window, have a regular queen sized mattress, with just enough room to walk around the sides and foot of the bed.

The 70's trailers like mine, where the head of the bed is under a side window, have a full sized mattress. Again, there is just enough room to walk around the bed.

On these older trailers, some people will re-work the bed platform, or convert the bedroom from twin beds, in order to fit a queen mattress in there, but you lose the walk around access.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/309700
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
There was a queen bed in my 99 Excello. I do not remember the dimensions, but it was not the same as a residential mattress. It was shorter and the corners at the foot were cut off at a 45* angle to allow additional room to get around. The length was ok for me, and I am 6'-3". I remember we had a hard time finding sheets to fit.

If you tried to use a residential mattress that was just a few inches longer, it would be difficult to enter into the bed room.

2000 Safari 25'
1999 Excella 34' - "Tin Mansion"
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L "Max"imum Trailering
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
We went through the same conundrum. We solved it by putting a regular size queen TempurPedic on the platform so we sleep just like we do at The Cabin when home. Yes, it is longer than the platform and hangs off a bit. Because it's "squishy" we can get around the end on both sides just fine. The real TempurPedic makes us feel ten years younger in the morning, vs. sleeping on any other kind we've tried, and we've tried many expensive ones. Go For It!
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Canopener Site #144
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Our '97 Safari, rear bedroom, has a queen and one corner is angled to get around, but don't think it would be a problem even if it were a 90 degree corner. Not sure of the deminsions, but we use a regular queen matteress cover, a regular 2" memory foam pad, and regular sheets and they seem to fit just fine, especially with the fitted bottom sheet with elastic corners.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
We went through the same conundrum. We solved it by putting a regular size queen TempurPedic on the platform so we sleep just like we do at The Cabin when home. Yes, it is longer than the platform and hangs off a bit. Because it's "squishy" we can get around the end on both sides just fine. The real TempurPedic makes us feel ten years younger in the morning, vs. sleeping on any other kind we've tried, and we've tried many expensive ones. Go For It!
Tempur-Pedic mattresses are with out a doubt the best mattress I have ever owned.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal , Arkansas
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. We want yesterday and looked at Tempurpedics, one for the house and one for the trailer. Now to the dealer in Little Rock to see how it would fit. Thanks again.