Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Remove dinette in 2012 flying cloud fb..Help

I would love to remove the dinette and replace it with 2 recliners. The dealer is willing to remove one side of the dinette and the table but he said he can't remove the other side because the heating ducts are there. Is it possible to remove this bench and leave the heating ducts in place and cover them ? At least this would give us a little more space for the recliners. I have 66 inches with the one bench and table removed. Is this enough room for 2 recliners? My recliners are each 26 inches wide. Any help would be appreciated..
Dmgkag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ha, just came across your post. We had a 25' and I did it all as you mentioned, moved the heating ducs, took everything out and put in two recliners - they had foot stools and our only issue was limited space and moving around as the door is right there. So I put it all back together sold the unit and bought a 30', took out the front couch and put in the same two recliners, works well,.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Anything can be done. We have a 2012 27FB Flying Cloud and wanted 2 recliners. Airstream recommended 1 due to the issues you raised. We had them do it and custom trim the table and we LOVE how it works for us. Considering the additional benefits vs additional headaches, this was our choice. Whatever you do, have fun!!

Name:   image-1863809438.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  46.7 KB
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
This is a no brainer! Removed the dinette and created a new end panel and cut down the ducting and reinstalled the vent. Granted it was tough to get the correct curve for the end piece. Used some welding rod to duplicate the curve and transferred it to 3/4" plywood that was later covered with wood grain Formica and edged in black to match the cushions. Factory probably discouraged this modification as the amount of crap left by workers under the seat is appalling!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We've owned our 2008 Classic 25fb for a little over a year. I really don't like the rear dinette with side couch for a living arrangement after using the trailer for a year. The dinette is good for eating but not for relaxing. The Classic dinette table is heavy to put up and down, the wife can't do it, and the side couch is not relaxing enough either. I think AS hung the TV on the fridge wall too low. Kinda wish I looked at a 25 SS (six sleeper) with the front couch and side dinette or a 25 with the front couch and extending table but there isn't much choice in the used market.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
On the road again...

2017 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
This is what we have done with our 25 ft. FB. Works great for us. We have a folding table we store between the bed and the front wall. Much more room and very comfy.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403655380.311884.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	214860
Susan and Ed

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
sekibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Two recliners in 25 FB 2012

...Surprised to see my post generate a new thread after all this time. We did remove the entire dinette.... Reinstalled the heating duct and put an end panel on. The lambright recliners were made by an Amish craftsman in Indiana. I had them covered in cream ultraleather. I covered the side bench in the same fabric. The recliners are wallhuggers with footrests. They have removable side tables. We love swiveling around in these chairs and looking at the view out the window. The attached photo was taken at Crystal Cove State Campground , just north of Laguna Beach CA. We eat our meals when inside on the attached tables. There is room for my husband to put up his footrest and I swivel around and use the end of the bench as a footrest. ...Great for watching tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	214912  
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Smile Upside down

This is the first photo I have uploaded! My husband did have a little trouble getting these recliners attached to the roof!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmgkag View Post
This is the first photo I have uploaded! My husband did have a little trouble getting these recliners attached to the roof!
Hahahahah!!! :-D

I wish I knew how to flip it - when I move my phone the pic moves too....great line though!!!! :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I pried them off the ceiling and attached them to the floor
Attached Images

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looks MUCH more comfortable now :-)

Seriously - that looks wonderful! I like the table surface too. Well done!!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
sekibel,
I really like the colors and fabrics in your rig.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Looks very nice! I'm "mulling" over a similar modification. But I'd miss the big DR table. At home our DR table is the nerve center of our house. We eat, compute, read and hang out there. I'd hate to lose that, but the bench seats in the AS are not that comfy and since our Eddie Bauer table only has legs (no wall bracket) it wobbles around which I do not like. If I could find a recliner/full size table scenario, I'd jump in with both feet!

I'd welcome any ideas you might have for a large table/recliner combo.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Thanks Glenritas for"righting the ship"! AnaArbor Bob....our set up with the rotating tables work well for 2 people. The bench seats with the table can seat 4. We do all the activities that you mentioned..eat, compute, read, hang out and watch tv very comfortably in the recliners. We saved all the original parts of the dinette in case we ever want to sell it and the buyer prefers it.