Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Fairfax , Virginia
Quad Bunks

Has anyone converted double twin bedrooms into quad bunks? Seems straightforward.

Not an owner, but wife and I look forward to RVing, and we have a visceral attraction to AS (and a similar, but opposite revulsion to country oak interiors).

One toddler son, another on the way, and, if not more in the future, at least cousins and friends. I'd like a bunkhouse model. I know there's a FC30 bunkhouse model now, however there's a few strikes against (in my never-camped-in-an-Aistream-opinion):
  1. First and foremost, as long as we can buy a modern looking one, we don't need to buy new.
  2. There are a lot more post 2000 twin models than bunkhouse models out there, and it's at least possible to convert queens to double twins.
  3. I *think* we'd prefer a front bed model. I can imagine backing into a wooded spot and enjoying the view from the rear dinette. How many people do the end dinettes sit?
  4. We could stuff the kids into the FB and have the rest of the trailer to ourselves after bedtime.
  5. We could probably rig some sort of pipe berth to hang over the twin beds. Once the kids were too big for them, they could sleep in a tent. - is there room between the overhead cabinets and the end of the bedroom? Is the structure capable of carrying a 80# load (and the inevitable live load applied by an energetic 8 year-old?)
Halligan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We don't have a bunkhouse by do have a FB The table sits two very comfortably and 4 if the people aren't too large ie 2 adults and 2 kids. I know a bunch of people have done bunkhouses ( Skatiero and Pizzachop come to mind) I think they've even posted pictures here. Do a search on bunkhouse and those posts should come up. Good luck!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #3

Fairfax , Virginia
Thanks - - I searched for bunkhouse and didn't find much, will look up the two members.

Is it possible to extend the table forward such that someone on the sofa could use it?
Halligan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Not with the table that came in ours. Maybe you could build a table that folds out to expand when needed.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have seven kids and we set up our 29' Excella as a bunkhouse. There are many photos here on the forums of our conversion. We built fixed top bunks over each existing twin and build middle bunks between each existing twin and the new top bunks. These middle bunks hinge up out of the way during the day so that the bottom bunks can be used as sofas during the day. Then we made a seventh folding bunk which stores under the TV at the end between the triple bunks. In the living room we have an L-shaped sofa which turns into a bed for the two of us and a chaise which pulls out into a twin for my mother-in-law. Our kids are no longer small, ages 10-16, and they still fit. Due to the curved end of the Airstream the top bunk on each side is only just long enough for me (I am 5'9") to stretch out fully. The others are full length and even my 6' husband can stretch out on them. We built the top four bunks out of coleman camping cots, which are very lightweight and have metal tubular frames and a cloth mat with sprongs all the way around like a trampline, plus a think foam mattress. They are super comfortable and take up extremely little room vertically. They are strong and lightweight. We built an oak frame to match our other cabinetry. The weight is all supported by the fram which goes to the floor and walls (side ribs) and thru-bolted to closet and bathroom partitions.

You're welcome to see ours anytime. I would not recommend hanging anything from your ribs. Unless you get an Airstream which had bunks originally, your ribs will not be reinforced to handle the additional load. However you make your bunks, make sure the load is fuly supported and remember that the kids will grow quickly and will tend to put lots of torque on them using them as jungle gyms and will let their friends all pile onto one etc. Way overbuild them! We love our bunks. None of the kids ever want to sleep outside in the screen room we made for our awning.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Welcome, when your searching for bunkhouse also search for bunk house, bunkbeds, bunk beds and search for bunk.

For a table for people on the sofa it may be better to get a table about the same height as the dinette table that you use outside and you can also just put it up inside when you need it there.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I just noticed you are in Fairfax, I am from Staunton. I'll try to give you a shout next time we have the Airstream up your way. We are in Atlanta. I meant to add that we can all sit around a table inside if it's storming etc -- all ten of us-- so you should be able to make almost any airstream 28' or longer work for you as we have. Katie
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Laguna Beach , California
Just got back from a week with our 25'fb, and our newest addition to our family, my 9 month old baby girl. The fifth person(albeit a small one) is a game changer for accommodating this overpacker!

DH and I are brainstorming any ways to turn the front bedroom into a bunkhouse. I did a few searches and saw a couple examples, but wanted to bump this thread to the top in hopes of getting some more ideas. We need to take a tape measure to it to even see if the space will accommodate a bed in the opposite direction as the existing one.

Thanks in advance for any more ideas!
parker10302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wed be happy to show you our bunkhouse. We brainstormed many different ways to make it happen. Can you post a link to a floor plan for your fb? We're happy to share ideas! Our 39' rear bedroom sleeps ten adult-sized people comfortably: my husband and his mother and me and our seven kids.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We've got young three kids as well, a three year old and one year old twins.

Our trailer is a 34' International with the back bedroom. Our custom beds work like this: two beds along the side, as is standard, then another bed raised and across the back for the third. I am having this built just now, picking up the trailer on the 23rd.

One of the benefits of this setup is that the third bed is supported not by the trailer, but by the beds underneath it. It also allows us to use the overhead lockers and keep the windows in use.

The beds are 32" wide, which leaves space in the middle for a playroom (of sorts) for a rainy day. There's also enough space for an air mattress for the inevitable sleepover guest.

I'll post pictures once I've got it back. My wife and I sleep on the re-engineered gaucho. We had that changed into a full queen bed, with brand new heavy duty foam upholstery.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Laguna Beach , California
Well, a simple google shows that our floorplan can accommodate twins in the opposite direction.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...6658050637.pdf

So now we need to figure out how to make-up for the lost storage of the overhead cabinets and the bank of drawers we would lose. Well, that and figure out how to fabricate the bunks. We would like to make them look as original as possible, and maintain the use of the windows/emergency exit.

andreasduess, I'd love to see pics of how your system turns out when you pick it up. Sounds interesting!
parker10302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker10302 View Post
Well, a simple google shows that our floorplan can accommodate twins in the opposite direction.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...6658050637.pdf

So now we need to figure out how to make-up for the lost storage of the overhead cabinets and the bank of drawers we would lose. Well, that and figure out how to fabricate the bunks. We would like to make them look as original as possible, and maintain the use of the windows/emergency exit.

andreasduess, I'd love to see pics of how your system turns out when you pick it up. Sounds interesting!
Check this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...se-107732.html
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I just realized that there was a typo in my last post. It should have read "29'" not "39'".
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
I have an Argosy 26 that I have almost completely remodeled, been working on it for six months. It came with two twins in the midsection and a gaucho up front, so it could sleep four. Our two kids often have a friend over so we wanted to be able to sleep an extra kid if needed. I really like the trailer length/size/functionality and simply added my own bunk over one of the side beds. I think it turned out pretty good. I carefully measured/re-measured many times and have a top bunk that is easy to climb into- they don't need a ladder, yet I didn't have to remove overhead storage units. The headroom on lower bunk is okay, and its nice and dark in that bunk for sleeping in. I'm an adult and have slept in that one myself a few times when the kids wanted to sleep with mom. If I had to do it again I would have done it the same, except made bed about one inch higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130909_224650.jpg
Views:	2873
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	195358  
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbguy View Post
I have an Argosy 26 that I have almost completely remodeled, been working on it for six months. It came with two twins in the midsection and a gaucho up front, so it could sleep four. Our two kids often have a friend over so we wanted to be able to sleep an extra kid if needed. I really like the trailer length/size/functionality and simply added my own bunk over one of the side beds. I think it turned out pretty good. I carefully measured/re-measured many times and have a top bunk that is easy to climb into- they don't need a ladder, yet I didn't have to remove overhead storage units. The headroom on lower bunk is okay, and its nice and dark in that bunk for sleeping in. I'm an adult and have slept in that one myself a few times when the kids wanted to sleep with mom. If I had to do it again I would have done it the same, except made bed about one inch higher.
hi, great info... i need to add a bunk to my '72 31' land yacht mid sleeping area .. did you attach to interior wall ? or built supports under so it sits on bed frame below? seems like the interior walls made from plastic would be strong enough.. thx
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Here are the bunks in our 32" Excella.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1409692293593.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	220619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1409692449009.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	220621  

Name:	1409692500999.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	220622   Click image for larger version

Name:	1409692554900.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	220623  

Name:	1409692599480.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	220624  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
check out posts by Pizzachop he has 9 kids and built bunks in a 31 footer. Also a dinette in front that becomes a big bed
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hi, great info... i need to add a bunk to my '72 31' land yacht mid sleeping area .. did you attach to interior wall ? or built supports under so it sits on bed frame below? seems like the interior walls made from plastic would be strong enough.. thx
I ran supports down the walls that tied in to lower bed frame. Otherwise (you are right) the existing walls are not strong enough. I epoxied/screwed plywood layer to existing wall, then went around edges of it with 1 x 4 lumber that became "legs" supported by floor and bed underneath. After sanding and painting it most people would never be able to tell it wasn't original.

I have driven about 6000 miles in it this year and it has been rock solid with no movement.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Walker , Michigan
Here's our bunks. Only one side for now

TV= 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8 128k miles
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
I always thought the Kid-O-Bunks would be lightweight and portable, and they can be converted to a couch.

https://youtu.be/J42RsMVPuFY

There's also larger versions: Disc-o-Bed.

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote