Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Arcadia , California
De-mousefurification update

I can understand your appreciation for the fur since I'm trying to take it off now, and its a lot of work. This is what I know, in progress. The carpet itself comes off easily. The adhesive does not. I tried a 'green' remover mentioned on the internet, but my life is too short (about 1 sq inch per hour). I'm now using 'Goof Off' heavy duty remover (not the "Professional" (heard it doesn't work as well)). It works, but it is hand to hand combat with a 1"plastic scraper. You need to soak the remover into the adhesive, let it sit, and apply more before doing anything. For our 22 footer, I'd estimate a 20 or 30 hour job. It sure is beautiful to see the aluminum come through underneath however. Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated, but this method will work if you have the time.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Don't have the mouse fur , but had pretty dingy vinyl wall covering that really didn't want to come clean, even with a pressure washer, yes on the interior.
PO's had cut quite a few horrible holes in the interior skins. Between the two, I decided that for the time and cost it made sense to replace the interior skins outright. I could get 4' x 10' .032 5052-h32 aluminum for. $55/sheet. Measured to have sheared to height and as close to length for nice clean edges, and hand electric shears and jig saw for the remaining cuts. Kept hand cuts for edges that would be hidden by overlap. If you have the old panels to use as templates it can go pretty quickly. My challenge is the garage being 200ft from trailer, so cut then check then trim, walking back and forth sometimes takes longer than cutting the panel. Just clamped the old piece on top of the new as a pattern.
After I cut a new panel and make sure it's going to fit I sand it with 60 grit to give the paint some help and wipe it down with solvent to clean it, then shoot a couple coats of self etching primer. Let it dry a few days if possible. Cleo until ready to rivet.
Will paint to color when they're all done and I decide what color to go with. Too many choices in color.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Just a little update on our project.

We opted for what we ourselves called a "leatherette" headliner that I think was used in higher end models than ours around the time ours was built - it matches the mouse fur at the time - Airstream calls it "textured vinyl" - we were able to order it through Airstream - kinda - sorta - but we had to go through an Airstream dealer - they would not sell directly to us unless we were getting the work done at Jackson Centre.

Seems reasonable ...... kinda ..... sorta ......

Ordered the headliner through our closest Airstream dealer 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Headliner not yet received so a phone call today determined that the order had not yet been shipped from Jackson Centre ...... their issue ..... not our dealers .....

.... maybe next week .....

..... kinda miffed about this - gonna be starting to cancel camping reservations if it doesn't get here soon.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Salt point , New York
Smile Took the plunge!

We did it! Purchased the 2005 19ft Bambi and will begin the process of redoing the interior - old mouse fur and all! I'm sure I will be on this forum often from here on in!!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Hi everyone!
I'm back with some really cool options for mouse fur alternatives.
First, I went to miamicorp.com's website, and they have fabulous options!
http://www.miamicorp.com/customer/mi...ner%20Card.pdf
There's the link to miamicorp.

And then I found my way to a sailboat forum where someone mentioned that they used fabricated laminate for their vertical surfaces. So, I'm going to look at a big box store for those. I think I prefer fabric/foam backed headliner products, but I'm going to see what's available in the laminate.

So, I'll post photos when I'm done. 23 days and we depart!

Best, Kira
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I used something like the Irish Tweed for my boat years ago. It was synthetic so wouldn't be affected by moisture and the woven fabric conforms well to to ribs and things...that shouldn't be a problem for the walls in an AS. What ever you put on you need to be able to clean it and wipe off stains and dirt. I would be careful about a finish with holes that capture dirt that will bleed out over time
JCW
Old 08-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Mouse Fur - Replaced!!

Well - it's done!! - a whole lot longer than expected - but none-the-less - it's done ..... and the trailer is put back together ..... well mostly ..... still have a some edge moulding to pick out and put on ..... but pretty minor .....

This turned out really well - we're both very pleased - even think it looks a whole lot better than the original ceiling.

What seemed to be important along the way that you might be interested in if you are planning on replacing your own mouse fur:
  • cleaning off old headliner glue is a miserable job - I used laquer thinner and did one square foot at a time - can't help but think there must be a better way .....
  • the headliner we chose we got through Airstream - a textured vinyl backed with 1/4 inch foam - looks great.
  • one issue is that the new headliner comes in 54" width only - meaning you will have extra mouldings to put in place. We chose to run our headliner down the length of the ceiling (versus across the ceiling) meaning we used 3 lengths and purchased ourselves a heck of a lot of waste.
  • the spray adhesive we used was 3M76 - recommended by Airstream - it's pricey and we needed 4 cans for our little Bambi.
  • when gluing up 2 people are really mandatory - 3 are better
  • don't spare the glue - especially on the edges - spray both surfaces - wait one minute - be careful about kinking/folding - you get one try ...... and one try only .....
  • wear chemical masks - this is nasty stuff
  • disconnect the propane detector when spraying the adhesive - it's gonna go off and is a heck of an irritant
  • still to do on ours is installing an edge moulding - just haven't found one yet .....

Here's a couple pictures of the process since the last pictures posted earlier in this thread.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150811_134048.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	246732   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150811_142157.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	246733  

Name:	20150811_142727.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	246734   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150817_162019.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	246735  

Name:	20150829_150709.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	246739  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #22

2005 28' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Mouse Fur Removal - Great Adhesive Remover

We just bought a 2005 Airstream Safari and it has the Mouse Fur covering on the walls. Unfortunately - ours is not in great shape.

We ripped a bit of the mouse fur off the wall and it does in fact remove pretty easily. Even with the adhesive - the underlying aluminum doesn't look all that bad.

I read a bunch of blogs about folks having to use super abrasive strippers to get the adhesive off and I did not want to do that if possible.

I found this site: http://www.greenrvlife.com/mouse-fur-part-1/.

The owner recommended the following product: http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Soy.../ste-4027s.htm.

Its supposedly eco-friendly - so I was VERY skeptical. But I liked the idea of using something that wasn't going to kill me if I failed to ventilate properly or melt off my skin if it got through my glove.

I bought the small sample bottle and took it out to our trailer. I sprayed a little spot on the adhesive and let it sit while I cleaned out the fridge.

The post said they let it sit for hours. I checked on my test spot after about an hour and the adhesive came right off!! I mean NO EFFORT. I've attached a picture. It makes the idea of the removal project a lot less intimidating.

And bonus - there were no harsh fumes.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Megan,

Do you have any photos of the completed project? My wife and I are strongly considering removing/covering the mouse fur!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I also had dirty mouse fur walls so I covered the fur with Aluminum, right over top. It has been a year and lots of use and still looks real good. The bedroom walls were stil clean so I left them. It's a challenge to get the corners right but lots of templates and It got done.

Shacksman,

I love it! I kind of like the insulation factor that the mouse fur provides but hate looking at the dirty walls all the time! Do you have further details on how you went about with your aluminum covering project?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #25

2005 28' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Mouse fur Removal - Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortland View Post
Megan,

Do you have any photos of the completed project? My wife and I are strongly considering removing/covering the mouse fur!
Hi there - so we did end up removing all the mouse fur. But I haven't stripped the adhesive or removed all the seam tape yet.

Here are some pictures of it as-is with the mouse fur removed but not stripped or polished.

It is on our list of things to do but not at the top - the outdated bathroom wallpaper bothers me a lot more. So that will be first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160905_130231.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	272885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_131644.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	272886  

Name:	IMG_20160905_132249.jpg