Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
It's 2017...what is the best wireless backup camera?

After doing some research looking at "wireless backup camera" on this forum and other locations I found that most of the comment history goes back to 2015 and earlier. Since that time several new models have hit the market and there is now a bigger selection of cameras available with prices that are all over the map.

What is today's consensus on the best way to go? My goal is to find a unit that will show what's following close behind me.

Thanks for your input.
Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First question would be "do you have room for a display?". There's only just so much room on the dash. Blocking part of your forward view is probably not a good idea. If you do have room, how much room do you have? Screens have gotten bigger and resolution has gone higher. A 17" screen may not be what you really want to have

Why all the questions? I find that with "only" a F-250 dash, there really isn't enough room for the one I have (the "factory" version) in addition to what's already there.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

First question would be "do you have room for a display?". There's only just so much room on the dash. Blocking part of your forward view is probably not a good idea. If you do have room, how much room do you have? Screens have gotten bigger and resolution has gone higher. A 17" screen may not be what you really want to have

Why all the questions? I find that with "only" a F-250 dash, there really isn't enough room for the one I have (the "factory" version) in addition to what's already there.

Bob
Thanks for your reply.
I have a F150...a new one....and there is a little tray on top of the dash that I could place a 5" monitor.
I don't intend to keep it on the dash with the exception of towing only. Other times it would be stored.
Looking at Amazon, cameras run from less than $50 bucks to several hundred. I'm not interested in buying the cheapest. I want one with the best track record...and reviews. I'm thinking $200 to perhaps $350 cost wise.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have the same cab on the F-250 so I know which tray you are talking about. I agree that something 5" or smaller might fit there. Depending on where the driver's seat is set, you may get a bit of your view forward blocked.

The real question is - do you get enough detail on a screen like that (at that distance from the driver) to do much good? Most of these cameras have pretty wide angle lenses on them. Think of the view with most cell phone cameras (or wider). Trying to sort out details is not all that easy.

Again, this is not a knock on any one camera, or even the idea of doing this. It's just what I've run into trying to do it. In order to be useful, there is a balance between distraction and information. One option I'm still thinking of is mounting something over by the co-pilot. Let them sort things out and relay "just the facts" to the driver. That would let you go with a much larger screen.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I just started using a BU camera. I found using an IPAD (fairly large screen) and angling it on the floor (between driver and passenger), let me glance down when needed and see things pretty quickly. I could use one of our cell phones and put it up on the dash (little divot for it in the RAM), but I like the bigger screen. Ends up it is really secondary (double check vs. mirrors) so I like it out of the way. Also - like having flexibility of using phone or IPAD and not a separate dedicated display. Anyway that is just what i have found. I will let someone else comment on models / brands. I went the $50 way (and quite satisfied with that). If trying to hit $200/$300 assume you are installing yourself? If not - expect install will not be cheap.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Have you considered wi fi or bluetooth? Using wi fi, you can get an Esky ECI70-08 camera and 903W wi fi transmitter from Amazon. Use your smart phone or tablet for the monitor and the IKROSS IKHD22 cup mount for cellphone or tablet to use as the holder. all for around $100. Download the free software and you have a backup system that will work for as long as you want without taking up any dash real estate. Your monitor can be as big as a 10" tablet or as small as your smart phone. Just an idea from someone who is a cheapskate and doesn't want to figure out all of the necessary wiring to the dash.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I bought individual components on eBay and assembled a system myself. It works pretty well understanding that it loses the wireless signal occasionally during driving but overall it works great both on the road at highway speed for safer lane changes and for backing the trailer up. The components are: a small color monitor connected to a video receiver on the same frequency as the transmitter, a video signal transmitter which connects to a small "button" camera mounted on the back. I bought a cigarette lighter plug to power the monitor and receiver in cab. Camera and transmitter are in the back of the trailer of course and power is on for the transmitter when the running lights are on which allows it to not slowly drain the trailer battery. I just set the monitor on the dash during towing.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I placed my monitor on the passenger side of the dash and I have no visibility issues at all. Of course the Little Mrs. complains occasionally. Just purchased a new 2017 F-250 and am hoping to use Ford's new TPMS and trailer camera set up which will eliminate anything on the dash.

On a side note a did try a Rand McNally RV atlas. It has a lot of interesting functions but almost Impossible to mount on the dash without blocking some visibility. Also the screen was not very good so was difficult to see while driving.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I went the cheap way as described above with the button camera and wireless wifi transmitter and used it on my I pad and cell phone. It works okay but it is wired to my backup lights and there is a slight delay and I have to press the app each time to connect. I then got the 7" color monitor with 2 video imputs $26 and another camera $6 and a set of wireless transmitter/receivers for $10. Have the camera looking thru the tinted back window and plugged into the 12v plug. The monitor and reciever I plug into the 12v in the console. I put the screen on the floor hump or sometimes up on the tray. I also have a f150. So for a little over $50 works good. I also wired the rear camera on truck to the second input and can switch front one to other. Eventually I plant to mount the camere outside . Ordered all on ebay.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
7" monitor in 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat - works for me

[attach]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	292977[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	292976  
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #11

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
I got this at Costco.com. Monitor is iPhone (in my case) or android phone. Works great on my 23D.

https://www.costco.com/WiFi-Backup-C...%2FAjMP%2FE%3D
airguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Mansfield , Ohio
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
Have you considered wi fi or bluetooth? Using wi fi, you can get an Esky ECI70-08 camera and 903W wi fi transmitter from Amazon. Use your smart phone or tablet for the monitor and the IKROSS IKHD22 cup mount for cellphone or tablet to use as the holder. all for around $100. Download the free software and you have a backup system that will work for as long as you want without taking up any dash real estate. Your monitor can be as big as a 10" tablet or as small as your smart phone. Just an idea from someone who is a cheapskate and doesn't want to figure out all of the necessary wiring to the dash.

mrdfred, could you explain exactly how you did this? I will be traveling alone, first time AS owner with 22' Sport, and I think this would be helpful. I am not mechanic material so perhaps I need someone to hook this up for me (if so, who?). What exact products did you buy on Amazon?
Thank you!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Voyager

Don't know what the latest, greatest is, but I have been well served by my Voyager camera. Hangs from the windshield just above the middle tray on the dash of my F150. Since I don't have factory wide tow mirrors, this has been great as it allows me to constantly check what is coming up behind me. Only improvement would be visible directional lines like on the factory backup screen activated only when in reverse to better guide you in backup mode!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Hmmm...since it's 2017, I am considering mounting a GoPro mount to the back. Easy to mount, the double sided tape they use is amazing. Unobtrusive. Take camera on and off. Stream to phone or tablet. You can get a GoPro for about $150 and you have a multi use item. Anyone else heard of this?
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
After doing some research looking at "wireless backup camera" on this forum and other locations I found that most of the comment history goes back to 2015 and earlier. Since that time several new models have hit the market and there is now a bigger selection of cameras available with prices that are all over the map.

What is today's consensus on the best way to go? My goal is to find a unit that will show what's following close behind me.

Thanks for your input.
Pat
I purchased this one on Amazon. Amazon also has access to local installers. It may be difficult to find someone to install it for you without it costing an arm and a leg. The installer I chose did a nice job with both the BU and the rearview cameras. I use the system with both the backup camera on my car and for the rearview wireless camera on my FC. The 7" monitor doesn't block too much once you grow accustomed to it.

I chose this model because of the CCD chip which produces a much better picture than the old CMOS chips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Voyager rear view

For the last four years I have had a Voyager set up stuck tp my windshield and have been very happy with it. The added dimension of safety and utility has been a god send. However........ this year it started acting up, and a lot. For some reason the image on the screen is a mirror image or a reverse image which is confusing and useless. Also my range has disappeared! It works at 'parking speed' but not once we get going down the road. I have messed around with the antennas but to no avail. I have the same truck and the same trailer and the same devices in the cab. I just don't know what changed. very frustrating. To add to that there is no web site or phone number that I can find to talk to Voyager. Again frustrating!
so not sure what to do. Get another one and expect it tp work or try another brand. Has anybody else had these problems? Its too bad because I really love the product........
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Wifi camera paired with a smartphone is the way to go.

Several variants/types of wifi camera
1) all in one with battery (e.g. gopro)
2) Generic composite camera (license frame camera, mountable camera), paired with a generic wifi transmitter
3) Wifi dashcam

Display
3) Any wifi enabled smartphone or tablet

A great option for a smartphone would be to get a case that allows straps to be mounted on its back, so it could be strapped to the rear view. Natural position for it out of the say of the dash.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Has anyone here used the Echomaster-Intellilhaul wireless backup camera that integrates into the factory radio display on Chevy/GMC trucks (and likely other brands). I like the idea of not having a separate trailer rear camera display, so I am hoping someone here has had positive experience with that system.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, in a separate thread I reported my install of the Echomaster system. It is really nice and clean. I love the integration with the truck's MyLink display. It is not a cheap system, but neither are the truck and trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2010 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Toano , Virginia
We've had good luck with the Voyager system. We had ours installed at JC when we were there for warranty work.
TinTikiHut is offline   Reply With Quote