Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Replaced ALL (rear + all marker lights) lights with LED trailer lights. It looks great.

Next up is that horrible folding couch bed in the front. That has to be the most uncomfortable couch ever made. Will either go with easy chairs or some kind of futon. Need to cover all the wires and battery housing though.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Definitely check our Sergei's "contemporization" for ideas and inspiration. It's absolutely beautiful.
Yes, I'm working my way through it. An astounding job!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
What anyone does with their Airstream is their choice. I am a purist. If you purchase a Vintage Airstream....why would you want changes? Repair and retain the original Design. When viewing models, years of many Airstreams...I did not find 2 alike. Each has it's own personality. NEAT.

It would be RESTORE....NOT remodel. I agree with Dick Perkins, and Overlander 62.

If you prefer the new and modern....don't purchase a Vintage Airstream. We all have choices. Make your Airstream...your choice.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In all fairness, what I did was a refurbishment not a restoration. I copied the cabinets exactly, I kept the same floor plan, and I kept all the systems propane only, but I changed all the surfaces to something more pleasing to me. Before the wood work was dark and somber, now it is light and playful. I covered the entire bathroom in aluminum which was not even an Airstream option. I am not turned on by zolatone like so many are, so instead of stripping the paint and reapplying that I used vintage road maps as wall covering. I feel if it is yours, do what you want. I also feel that the less you do to change the exterior appearance the better it looks. Finding all that bling that folks took off over the years can be challenging. Here is a before and after to show you how much just changing the veneer can change the entire feel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	63116Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	63117
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Aria in an attempt to look at the issue from another angle, which there are always other angles. We are a young family that are not choosing to invest so much of our financial resources into a newer AS. Yet I am not willing to throw money away on a SOB that is newer/cheaper. Therefore I am refurbishing/remodeling to fit our budget and needs. No I am not cutting the back open to turn it into a toy hauler but I am replacing the gaucho with table and bench seating to accommodate 6 people.

Just another option. I am sure as I travel through life I will come to appreciate things not changing. As a matter of fact the kids are testing that already.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Master Bedfords....I agree with you completely. Changes are done to make you and your family comfortable. YES. You are making the correct decisions...YOUR CHOICES. That always works. Happy travels.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
Replaced ALL (rear + all marker lights) lights with LED trailer lights. It looks great.

Next up is that horrible folding couch bed in the front. That has to be the most uncomfortable couch ever made. Will either go with easy chairs or some kind of futon. Need to cover all the wires and battery housing though.
Thats exactly the project I working on now. I gave the sofa away, as it was impossible to get comfortable on it. Purchased 2 "wall-hugger" recliners, that fit exactly. (They are 27" wide). Currently working on the cabinets that will replace the storage units on each end of the sofa, and adding a cabinet behind the recliners. All in all, we will gain storage space, compared to what we had before.

I didn't have to change any wiring, just moved things around a little. Main thing to consider is proper airflow to the convertor....

If I can help you with your, let me know

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Larry,

Got your message. Definitely interested in seeing your pictures. I bet those Amish chairs look great and from the description that is about what we would like to do as well.

My skills as a carpenter are limited to framing in windows so am curious to see how you attacked the project.

In lieu of that, my wife and I are having a regular stove with oven installed rather than the cook top. We miss an oven as she likes to cook pies and make home made pizza. The convection oven always seems like it is going to burn the place down and when boondocking is kind of hard to run off the Honda 2k.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up These are Cool!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ams-36826.html

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
2000 - 30' Excella, recliner installation project

Hey y'all,

For those of you who asked for the pictures of the completed project, here they are....(if I can figure out how to do it)

These are the recliners that I bought in Indiana this summer, while on vacation. They are "wall huggers" and very comfortable. I removed the uncomfortable sofa, as you can see....and built modular storage units above the battery boxes.

Also storage units were built to replace the end storage, and a console between the chairs. The wood used is red oak, and the stain is clost to the rest of the original finish. the clearcoat over the stain is 3 coats of Minwax PolyCrylic.

All in all, we gained a considerable amount of storage, and for the first time since we've owned this AS, we have very comfortable seating for the two of us.

I have a very well equipped shop, and it took me about 30 work hours, including finishing to complete the project.

Last year, I installed the laminate flooring, including the bathroom, that took about the same amount of time...

Comments are welcome..

Larry C

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 001.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	64135

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 004.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	64136

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 006.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	64137

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 007.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	64138

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Larry,

They look fabulous! Just the thing for falling asleep in while you watch television.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
In lieu of that, my wife and I are having a regular stove with oven installed rather than the cook top. We miss an oven as she likes to cook pies and make home made pizza. The convection oven always seems like it is going to burn the place down and when boondocking is kind of hard to run off the Honda 2k.
But, doesn't a regular electric stove run only on 240 volts? Or are you talking about something made for TTs that is gas, or 120 V compatible?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
What I meant to say was a regular RV stove with oven. The little 3 burner jobs with the 1/4 size oven. They run of LP.

Even a full size stove can run off of LP if jetted properly as opposed to gas. Obviously not the electric models.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
What I meant to say was a regular RV stove with oven. The little 3 burner jobs with the 1/4 size oven. They run of LP.

Even a full size stove can run off of LP if jetted properly as opposed to gas. Obviously not the electric models.
Thanks for straightening up my confusion.

Tags
upgrades