Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I wondered that myself. Hey I like and did like the 70s. Very, very good to me.

Purists who feel that strongly should buy up as many vintage Airstreams as possible to preserve them from extinction to preserve integrity and relinguish control and opinions on the ones that don't belong to them.
You are so right....

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Aage:

Welcome. Iím a fellow Ontarian, nearer the end of an extensive reworking of a 1976 Argosy than I once was.

Virtually the entire trailer has been customized. You can see many ideas on my main thread, including the installation of a superior German roof light by Seitz and the addition of a window to the formerly blank door.

I bought the window from another forum member, Balgrn, in New Hampshire.

A long read but many photos and you may enjoy the trip:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Sergei

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I am of the belief that one can really do whatever they would like to do with THEIR trailer. We just purchased a 2007 International Ocean Breeze because we liked the layout. We are not fans of a blue and white interior and the Ocean Breeze look didn't really fit in Ohio. We tell folks we have a modified Ocean Breeze now as we have our own curtains and our own upholstery throughout our 25 footer. We even removed the "door" between the bed and the galley in favor of a curtain of our choice. We know folks will walk in and say, "What happened to the Ocean Breeze?" That's fine with us - we didn't want it so we changed it to something we liked! Now, we have saved all the original blue and white upholstery and curtains and door. When the day comes that we are tired of our AS and wish to sell/trade it, we will have the Ocean Breeze look to pass along to the new owner, if they wish. One day we will have photos of our new look to share - then I'll have to learn how to post them. But, we are very happy with OUR Airstream and I think that's what any of you should plan on - make it yours and BE HAPPY.
Prodigy brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 05-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Any customizing I have done was for functional reasons. New aluminum rims like on the new Safari rather than steel wheels with hub caps so that it is easier to check lug nut torque. LEDs replace 1141 bulbs to keep current draw to a minimum. Solar system (3 panels) to allow running of both Fantastic Vent Fans 24 hrs. per day if needed while only running one Trojan 115 amp hr. battery. Dual Trojan batteries will be added to the tongue next April if possible. One marine screw-on deck plate put in bed platform so that I do not have to squeeze my body through the hatch to turn the bypass valves on and off when winterizing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Aage:

Welcome. I’m a fellow Ontarian, nearer the end of an extensive reworking of a 1976 Argosy than I once was.

Virtually the entire trailer has been customized. You can see many ideas on my main thread, including the installation of a superior German roof light by Seitz and the addition of a window to the formerly blank door.

I bought the window from another forum member, Balgrn, in New Hampshire.

A long read but many photos and you may enjoy the trip:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Sergei
Definitely check our Sergei's "contemporization" for ideas and inspiration. It's absolutely beautiful.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Where the hook-ups are
Send a message via Yahoo to 6wheeler
That's really, really too bad. Change is good.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
So far, circumstances have forced all of the "changes" that have taken place. New tires, new studs and wheel lug nuts, new LP tanks (steel), the acquisition of a large propane catalytic heater and a Humphrey 3 LP gas lamp for boondocking, the addition of the Lightening Bolt AC conversion for the 6 gal. Atwood hot water heater, the conversion of the plumbing on the drinking water filter from copper to CVPC -- all have been dictated by exigent circumstances. Yet to come is the installation of a fiberglass antenna mast on the road side for a weather station. Am still looking for all of the parts needed to add a second battery box and door to the roadside of the Excella in anticipation of solar panels next year...

The boss insists we tackle replacement of the beige carpet this summer or fall, adding a finished wood floor in it's place. Then there is the search for an OEM small side table as a home for the computer, the addition of a small wood magazine rack for the throne room, different curtains and window treatments, a replacement CD/AM/FM radio that is IPOD/MP3 player compatible ... it never ceases to amaze me what one can do.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You're all very kind

I'm overwhelmed by the suggestions, ideas and answers to my questions on this group. You really are a marvellous bunch!

Sergei, I did start to read your saga, but I must admit that I stared to skip ahead when I realized that it goes to 35 pages!! That is certainly a book all in and of itself and I'm sure once I know my way around here better I will refer back to it again.

A lot of the issues I noted from many of the posters seem to circle around structural and mechanical items wearing out, like switches, fasteners, floors, et cetera. I suppose that this is normal, after all, cars certainly wear out, but it is reinforcing my thoughts that for us, it will be important to get a trailer that is relatively recent, until I'm ready to start ripping things apart. And, quite honestly, that time may never come if I am honest with myself.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I wondered that myself. Hey I like and did like the 70s. Very, very good to me.

Anyway putting in a different size window or a vista view over it is not desecrating the iconic style of an Airstream in my humble opinion. And I tend to agree with Gunny, these units belong to the owner and should be customized at will and not preserved for the future vintage owners market. Purists who feel that strongly should buy up as many vintage Airstreams as possible to preserve them from extinction to preserve integrity and relinguish control and opinions on the ones that don't belong to them.
Carol,
I couldn't agree with you more.....if one owns it, one can do what they want. Airstreams are a fantastic RV, but they are a mechanical tool that enables us to enjoy our pastime.....and that's traveling in the U.S.
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
make it your own

I realize the Airstream is an American icon, and restoring the older and more rare ones is wonderful, to bring them back to their former pure state, and it can be a lot of fun. However, I do feel that the "newer" ones, say 1970's-80's and newer are probably not as sacred, (especially considering the decorating taste of the 70's). You wouldn't move into a 1970's house and try to restore it to look like it did when it was new, of course you would change it, remodel it and make it your own, decorate it, up date it and change it to suit your tastes, and I think most of you would do the same to a travel trailer. I know I would, and will, as things wear out in ours (trouble is, somebody else already did the floor and upholstery, and I have no real excuse, they are in too good a shape for me to change at this point).
So my point would be to restore the ones that should be, and make the ones you want to actually live in, into the home away from home that you enjoy.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a 2006 and started a thread to address what folks have done to claim their Airstreams for themselves, particularly in newer models that don't need to be renovated of restored. Here's the link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...own-35036.html

FWIW, I agree with those who feel that it's OK make changes to your AS to fit your needs and your style...just like you would in your house without wheels... There's nothing sacrosanct about a travel trailer. Restoration of a vintage AS to its original state is a fine and admirable mission, but it's certainly not a prerequisite for being an authentic Airstreamer, nor is it the only path to Airstream Nirvana...I've seen some mighty fine things done with vintage units that are both beautiful and respectable.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
New recliners vs old sofa

We own a 2000 Excella 31', and love it except for the extremly uncomfortable sofa across the front of the living room. We have fought this thing for the past two years.
A few weeks ago, we were in nothern Indiana, visiting family and friends. We found a small Amish furniture manufacturer who produces a 27" wide "wall-hugger" recliner. His quality is excellent.
We bought two of them, and gave him that uncomfortable sofa. I am building a cabinet that will find between the recliners, the cabinet will be made of red oak to match the other woodwork.
We will actually gain more storeage than we lost (in the sofa drawer), and the Excella s a whole lot more comfortable....
For whatever it's worth,
Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
We own a 2000 Excella 31', and love it except for the extremly uncomfortable sofa across the front of the living room. We have fought this thing for the past two years.
A few weeks ago, we were in nothern Indiana, visiting family and friends. We found a small Amish furniture manufacturer who produces a 27" wide "wall-hugger" recliner. His quality is excellent.
We bought two of them, and gave him that uncomfortable sofa. I am building a cabinet that will find between the recliners, the cabinet will be made of red oak to match the other woodwork.
We will actually gain more storeage than we lost (in the sofa drawer), and the Excella s a whole lot more comfortable....
For whatever it's worth,
Larry C
Sounds cool Larry, we'd love to see some pictures when you're ready to show it off.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Sounds cool Larry, we'd love to see some pictures when you're ready to show it off.

-Marcus
At the rate I'm going, it'll be a month or so before it's complete.....got too many "honey-does" to do

Larry

Tags
upgrades