Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Factory Modifications?

We are close to ordering our first Airstream. We like the layout of the International 27FB with the queen bed, but think the nightstand is too limiting. We like the 28's wardrobes either side of the bed. Would we be crazy to think Jackson Center could build a custom 27FB with the 28's single window pattern (rather than the panoramic three window pattern) and put in wardrobes?

I know the 28 is pretty much the same size as the 27FB but the overall layout of the 28 is just not right for us.

Does anyone have any experience of doing things like this? Any idea of cost?
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
JC only makes limited modifications and each one costs $500 plus materials as I recall. Those modifications are also only things like putting an extra LED light in, or some other simple thing, not the extensive changes you propose. I think your dealer can tell you what they might do, but don't get your hopes up.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
How about 27fb twin? Center nightstand with a big drawer and a shirt closet on one side and a hanging closet with shelves on the other side? More space to dress and easier access to the overhead storage over the front windows. Custom changes always mean $$$.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
This dealer is doing custom modifications...
Bay Area Airstream Adventures

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Odd, that used to be an option. As it's in my dealer brochure for our 2007 that we got.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
27FB Airstream with Bedroom Closets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanK1 View Post
We are close to ordering our first Airstream. We like the layout of the International 27FB with the queen bed, but think the nightstand is too limiting. We like the 28's wardrobes either side of the bed. Would we be crazy to think Jackson Center could build a custom 27FB with the 28's single window pattern (rather than the panoramic three window pattern) and put in wardrobes?

I know the 28 is pretty much the same size as the 27FB but the overall layout of the 28 is just not right for us.

Does anyone have any experience of doing things like this? Any idea of cost?
Airstream used to build the 27FB with closets in the bedroom as standard equipment. The front panoramic window for the bedroom at the time was an extra cost option. Very few units were made and sold with closets because most dealers specified the front panoramic window option when ordering units.

We own a 2008 27FB with closets in the front bedroom beside the beds and love it. The closets in the bedroom provide extra storage space. In addition they make the bedroom warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Since we are rarely in the bedroom during the day, we don't miss the extra visibility a panoramic window provides. The cubby holes in the side of the closets near the head of the bed are great for books, alarm clocks and cell phone. There is an electrical outlet on the outside of both closets, below the cubby holes, for plugging in battery chargers, electric blankets, and CPAP machines. We do have a panoramic window in the rear of the trailer which gives us a wonderful view from the dinette.

Note that our trailer is a Safari SE. In 2009 Airstream renamed its Safari line Flying Cloud. Sometime after the renaming, the bedroom closets were eliminated and the front panoramic window became standard.

Given that Airstream has produced the 27FB model in the past as a standard item, the company should easily be able to produce one for you as a special order. Airstream is currently building front bedroom 30' bunkhouse trailers so the front segments are in production as well as the side closets. It should be possible to build a 27FB International, with closets, using the front segments of the bunkhouse and the bedroom closet cabinets of the 28' International. I suggest you talk to your dealer about a special order, and if he says it can't be done, call Airstream directly.

I believe the upcharge for a special order is $400 or $500. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our 27FB. Below is a picture of the front bedroom from the inside. The second picture shows a side view, tilted slightly to the front, so you can see the front window as well as the side of the rear panoramic window. I've also provided a picture of the front exterior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971_705.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	231759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	231760  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	231761  
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Wow. Great replies already. Thanks Chuck and BA for the useful info. Hmmm - maybe a 2007/8 FB may be the thing to get! I'll start asking the dealer and Jackson Center about mods.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Solar Shades

I have seen some FBs (25 or 27) with a single window up front, but with the wrap around solar guards. This makes the front of the trailer look like it has the panoramic windows, but actually doesn't.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
kamadeca -- Colonial Airstream has been putting the solar guards on some of the new 30' Bunkhouse trailers to make it appear as though the trailer has a panoramic window instead of a single window in the front. Personally, I'm happy with the appearance of the single window on the front of my trailer (see photos in post #6 above). The single window, instead of panoramic window in the front, doesn't bother me and I certainly wouldn't spend money on solar guards having no utilitarian purpose. However, some people don't like the look of the single window and the purely aesthetic addition of a solar guard is for them a worthwhile expenditure.

DuncanK1 -- We are the third owners of our 2008 Safari 27FB, which we purchased in August 2011. If you decide to look for and purchase a used 2007 or 2008 27FB Airstream, check carefully for floor rot under the dinette and in the front storage compartment. Leaks are common. The leaks originate from the rear panoramic window, the area where the rear bumper meets the body, and around the front storage compartment door. 25FB trailers of this era have similar leak problems. Many trailers have been repaired by owners, the Airstream factory service center, and dealers. If the trailer smells musty, it likely has a leak. Leaks, and the floor rot can be repaired but the cost should be factored into the purchase price. Floor rot repairs can be very expensive if done properly by removing the old plywood subfloor and replacing it as well as the vinyl floor.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote