Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Kingston , Ontario
Documenting Airstream Renovation

Hi all,

I am documenting a major renovation of my 1971 31ft. Airstream.

Follow it here if you want to check it out

Airstream Trailer Complete Renovation | 1971 Airstream International

Thanks,

Keven
mistahlee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thank you

I just bought a 1975 31' International Sovereign. The trailer has been sitting in a pasture in eastern San Diego County for 20 years. I do not have floor rot or the "dreaded tail end sag" but there is a 20 year accumulation of dirt, mouse turds, fabric , foam and plastic rot, window and skin oxidation.

I wont be doing a frame off - any time soon - but I will be updating systems and electrics making component and material's improvements where I can.

The information you are posting is both a help and an inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

Good luck!

Tom McCullough
Las Vegas NV
tommcc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Kingston , Ontario
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the nice message, so glad that you find the blog helpful! Hard to believe that anyone could let one of these things sit vacant for decades, they make such interesting projects and look so cool when finished.
I too found all kind of things under the floor in with the old insulation, skeletons, droppings, nests, etc...the chassis and underfloor was the worst part so far. I'm just finishing up the electrical and now and will do another post when its finished. Feel free to contact me if you need any help through your project Best of luck.

Keven
mistahlee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Am I correct that you used larger standard pop rivits to secure body? If so how are you going to seal them? You will have leaks through the rivits. Why did you not buck rivit like the originals were other than this being an easier way.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote