Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Already want to renovate my 2013!

As I hang out in my trailer I think of more things I want to change!
1. Wallpapaer border in the bathroom- this is my least favorite thing in the whole trailer. I want it gone. I want aluminum like the kitchen backsplash.
2. All other wallpaper/mouse fur- I want all the wallpaper and mouse fur gone. I want to replace all wallpaper and mouse fur with aluminum or hickory wood. The wall to the right of the sink could be all aluminum, as well as all the insides of the exterior walls. The partition walls could all be hickory wood.
3. The raised areas of the bedroom walls that are covered in carpet that matches nothing else in the whole trailer could be hickory wood. I think the 2014's have wood here, just like in the bathroom behind the commode.
4. Another option for the mouse fur walls would be the same padded vinyl stuff like the ceiling. I think they kinda sorta got it backwards. The mouse fur should be on the ceiling and the padded vinyl,stuff should be on the walls.
5. The end of the cabinets over the galley has one little padded fabric area that matches nothing else in the trailer. The end of that overhead locker could be hickory wood like the end of the Overhead locker on the road side of the trailer over the dinette.
6. The underside of the lockers above the couch is the padded vinyl stuff like the ceiling. The underside of all other cabinets is wood. I want the underside of the cabinets over the couch to be wood also.
7. The floor could be real hardwood instead of roll vinyl hardwood look-alike flooring.
8. The microwave could be in an overhead cabinet instead of down low in the cabinet. I have adapted to the current location, however. Sit down in the dinette booth to put food in the microwave...
9. The couch and dinette could be brown leather.
10. I could have a solar panel installed
One of these days, as time and money permits, and as things wear from use, these renovations will take place.
If anyone from Jackson Center is lurking around on the forums I hope they take notes...we might have a new line of trailer going on here- sort of a Classic meets an International...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Well.. Sorry you are struggling with your "Classic" but the factory listened to similar requests and built the Internationals and Safari/Flying Clouds with "optional" aluminum interior walls, wood (or wood-like) flooring, and less wallpaper.. Classics have historically been trimmed and designed for those mature owners who like soft, quiet and padded.. Good luck with makeover...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And thus some of the reasons I went from my 2011 30 Classic to 27FB Serinity (after a 2009 25FB CLassic too). The Classic for me is just an odd mismatch.

Loved the hardwood - hated everything else to include vinal on my walls and ceiling and that wallpaper and flooring!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Get ready to get sick. Airstream's new "Land Yacht" might just be the thing for you. There's a video on Youtube where Jay Leno gets shown through one.

Hold a paper towel under your chin to catch the drool.

You should know that Airstream will ALWAYS make the "perfect" model for you one year after you buy a new one. Damn their marketing gurus.

On my third one now. Got the Eddie Bauer. Still getting the last of the stuff from the old trailer (wrecked) into the new one. Don't have anything but paper plates because I can't find what I want in Corelle.

It's always something.

Paula
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We liked the look of our 2013 25FB International Serenity interior but the cross body bed with the overhead storage area was the straw that broke the camel's back (mine). The size was okay, but if it had been a twin bed option in line with the direction of travel, we would have been able to adapt.

Thus we are stumbling up the model line to a build to our specifications twin bed 2014 27FB Classic that has the solid Hickory wood interior which we really like. We get the wider hanging clothes closet in the hallway and wider pantry like the other 27FB models. In addition, the 27FB Classic Twin includes a hanging closet above the foot of both beds as well as an overhead cabinet over the window of each bed for additional storage. We are having custom 8" thick mattresses made and while in Hanoi will have custom hand made quilted comforters made for each bed.

We are planning to deepen the depth of the storage under the lounge cushion and dinette seat on the street side as well as modify the audio center to build in the Dish TV box and the midi cable switch box.

We will install an AM Solar 300 to 400 watt solar system with four Lifeline GSM batteries and a 2000 watt inverter with proper wire sizes and creating access to the area under the head of each of the twin beds in the curved area. While doing this, we will add both 120Vac and 12Vdc power outlets for the nightstand between the twin beds.

Once the unit arrives and we take it on the shakedown trip, we will probably add to the list and then commence the customization.

Thanks to all those that have shared these ideas on the forum.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I chose the Classic originally because I liked the interior best of all models because of the hickory wood. I just wish there was more of it. No wallpaper. I like the look of "your grandparents trailer".
No, the $140,000 Lamd Yacht is not an option...
As things wear out or start to look old on this trailer I will renovate to my specs...no wallpaper, and no mouse fur...more aluminum and more hickory wood.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've remodeled and added so many personal touches to our Classic 30ft S/O since purchasing it new in 2004 and we enjoy it so much. We're so fortunate to have purchased the correct size on the first go around.
Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	191990  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
We've remodeled and added so many personal touches to our Classic 30ft S/O since purchasing it new in 2004 and we enjoy it so much. We're so fortunate to have purchased the correct size on the first go around.
Happy trails!
That's getting closer to how I want my interior to look!
Exterior modifications i am interested in include:
1. silver A/C covers- maybe paint
2. silver Fantastic fan cover- maybe paint
3. stainless covers for furnace, refrigerator, and water heater
4. stainless covers/replacements for the white storage bin and city water/black tank flush compartments

If they still made the slide I might have purchased one to appease the wife...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
No need to delay getting rid of the paper border in the bathroom. I hated it too. Removing it is a snap. It just peels right off without disturbing the wallcovering under it. I purchased peel and stick aluminum mosaic tile at Lowes and covered the entire area behind the sink. There are pictures on a thread from a couple of months ago. I am considering using the same material to cover the wallpaper behind the stove and sink of our 2004 classic.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The main reason I went for the 28' Intl CCD was for the interior -- and I really like the aluminum as it makes the trailer bright and modern. I've already done SS on the furnace, WH, vent cover. Replaced the cheap plastic Furrion sockets with chrome, also repainted the cheap plastic outdoor shower cover, water compartment and Dometic A/C cover with a very attractive silver plastic spray paint. Added 4 solar panels and a 2000 watt inverter, Maxim skylights, MAXX fans, and custom curtains and bedspread. Half the fun of the A/S is making it your very own.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I understand the mouse fur is quite hard to remove. Maybe you can paint it aluminum color.

I've been remodeling the trailer almost from the beginning. It is the way of Airstreams.

Of course, the 2014's are out….

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I already have plans to put on the mouse fur to cover the aluminum in my FC when it arrives

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Langley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
We've remodeled and added so many personal touches to our Classic 30ft S/O since purchasing it new in 2004 and we enjoy it so much. We're so fortunate to have purchased the correct size on the first go around. Happy trails!
I love what you've done with it! We have the 2007 Classic 30 S/O and we would love to get rid of that carpet up in front. Did you do these changes yourself?
duffergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
A huge reason we went for the Serenity. I did not want carpet in a camper, I hated the mouse fir and I loved the easy to clean, light and airy look of the Serenity. The hickory is pretty, but far too busy for me.
Airstream has something for all tastes.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We acquired our 2004 28 foot twin classic a few months ago and the floor plan is absolutely perfect for the two of us. In addition, the upholstery on the very comfortable couch is fairly neutral and the other colors are also soft. I would have preferred the aluminum, modern interior, and something other than the oak which is what our cabinets are made of, but on balance the floor plan, cost and condition were more important. Besides, as someone else said, it is fun to put personal touches on it. I just wish I had the time to go camping more!
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quite a few have posted over the years of problems with the mouse fur as it ages. Seems like the glue starts to show through if I remember correctly. Hard to get off, hard to replace, maybe hard to clean. Besides, who wants to live in a mouse turned inside out? The aluminum interior is brighter, has lots of interesting reflections and is easy to clean. It doesn't absorb food odors like the fur can.

Gene

Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Quite a few have posted over the years of problems with the mouse fur as it ages. Seems like the glue starts to show through if I remember correctly. Hard to get off, hard to replace, maybe hard to clean.
It can be cleaned with Woolite, unless you've stained it with something unusual. It's just velour fabric glued over sheet aluminum, and Woolite works on velour. Figured that out after swatting a deerfly against it, then had to clean up the bug juice.

I can understand why some don't like it, but in the Interstate class Bs, the velour is necessary sound-deadening material while en route, so I'm kind of stuck with it.

Quote:
Besides, who wants to live in a mouse turned inside out?
A mouse turned inside out? Never saw a mouse with fur on the inside, but ick, what a mental picture that is!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A mouse turned inside out? Never saw a mouse with fur on the inside, but ick, what a mental picture that is!
The inside would look better than the outside unlike an Airstream.

Gene