Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
airstreams for the uk

hi all
well who reads the news,looks like airstream are going to make a model for the uk and europe!.
just talked to the PR in london and the caravaners love it!!!
so here we go its are time next? maby it will keep your airstreams in the USA!or people will come over and have a 2ed home, like thay do with house's i don't know?what do you think about it!
perry
Old 11-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I hope it comes true, Perry, but don't hold your breath. Airstream is just testing the waters with its announcements this week. There are still major barriers:
  • the weight of Airstreams versus the tow vehicles commonly available in UK (relatively few people own trucks & SUVs compared to the US)
  • the width of some models (8.5 feet is too wide)
  • much higher fuel prices in the UK than the US
  • the fact that weight distributing hitches are illegal in most (all?) of western Europe
  • the need to get European certifications and design a UK-standard model (240 volt electric, etc.)
  • the poor exchange rate between the US $ and the British pound.
My guess is that Airstream might sell a handful to a few wealthy people in the UK, but no more than that. It will probably still be more cost effective to buy a vintage model through an importer and convert it yourself.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
pezz

1982 34' Limited
a/s uk

maybe you're right as for the need to get European certifications and design a UK-standard model (240 volt electric, etc.) i think thats what they want to do!as for the petrol they run on diesel,and they can't go that far in the uk or they will be in the sea.
perry
Old 11-05-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Perry, we do circular tours here in the UK, so we can do a trip that's further than from Key West to Anchorage. By going round in ever-decreasing circles, you don't realise you are on a small island. . Nick
Old 11-05-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

RL,

Do you know why:

the fact that weight distributing hitches are illegal in most (all?) of western Europe

???

Just curious
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I realy hope that airstream is not going to import airstreams
to europe
now we are with a verry small group that owns a airstream
most of them people that have spend a lot of time importing and making them leagal for our roads

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
pezz

1982 34' Limited
airstream uk

No Remco !

We'll be the real old timers in real american airstreams.

There is only one Harley Davidson !

I hope they remember what Wally Byam said :
"Let's not make any changes - let's make only improvments."

Bye for now
PERRY
Old 11-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
No, I do not know why weight distribution is illegal.

But I do know that the European Community issued a Directive (94/20/EC) in 1998 which specifies the types of towbars which can be legally installed on "light passenger vehicles" (not commercial trucks) in the EC member countries. I haven't been able to find an on-line source for the wording of the directive, but the fact that no UK companies offer weight distributing hitches would seem to indicate that they are not compliant with the Directive.

For more info on 94/20/EC, see this website.

BTW, those members of the "bigger is better" club should take a look at what Europeans consider to be "towcars". You'll be shocked. For example, see this vehicle comparison. But keep in mind the Europeans do it all differently than we do: lighter tongue weights (called noseweight in UK), no weight distribution, smaller vehicles, different (lighter) trailers, etc.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
sometimes we do things a bit diverend overhere
once I gave a lift to two usa backpackers
I think I scared the %^%^ out of them
you drive like maniacs in your dinky toy cars
remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickcrowhurst
Perry, we do circular tours here in the UK, so we can do a trip that's further than from Key West to Anchorage. By going round in ever-decreasing circles, you don't realise you are on a small island. . Nick
Nick:

I'd load an Airstream on a boat to your beautiful country (and people) in the morning. But, my Scottish wife (souvenir from my US Navy days - circa late 60's) wont go - too "Americanised"

Has anybody ever heard of the British Land Rover - the original SUV, nice tow vehicle? I think they've improved the road over the "Rest-And-Be-Thankful" and "Loch-Lomond-Side" enough to get the "Room and Kitchen" through, with ease.

Wife left on holiday to Edinburg (via Paris) this morning and I'm stuck at home baby-sitting the dog (French Poodle not even Scottish Terrier or Sheltie). Just think, I could be with her "goin doon the Clyde", on the Waverly, eating a "Bridie" and sipping on a single malt Scotch (life's to short to drink bad whiskey) with a Tennants Lager chaser.

What was I thinking?

Regards,
Jeff
jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Jeff, we seem to have similar tastes. One of our best trips has been to take our Land Rover up that twisty road beside Loch Lomond, and go to the top of Glen Coe, staying at the King's House Hotel, Scotland's oldest inn. The best rooms have a view of Buchaille Etive Mor, which we climbed via its North Buttress the next day. In the evening, we dined on venison, and then sat beside a huge log fire, sampling the single malts. Laphroig, Lochnagar etc. I've never had a better day. And the lovely accent of those lassies......Nick.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Right On

Quote:
Originally posted by nickcrowhurst
we seem to have similar tastes: a view - venison - a huge log fire - single malts - And the lovely accent of those lassies
Nick:

Yeh, that's what hooked me, but pretty much in reverse order.

The only thing you missed is mini-skirts, the Beatles, Piccadilly Circus and Hyde Park (Internet forums now take the place of "Speakers Corner").

If only we could relive a misspent youth

Regards,
Jeff
jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
16-22' in Europe

If Airstream decides to export production models to Europe, it'd be a safe bet that the new 16' CCD, the 19' Bambi and MAYBE the 22' CCD would be the first offerings with a slightly narrower body and different axle placement. They'd make sense in that market; and quite frankly I think that the CCD versions would generally suit the European tastes.

Regarding what the Europeans think are appropriate tow vehicles, here's a photo of a 1971 BIOD Extase fiberglass trailer (similar to the Scamp, Casita, UHaul et. al.) in the Netherlands being pulled by a car that appears to be smaller than the Ford Festiva or Geo Metro! (I mean after all, if an Intrepid can pull a 34' tri-axle... )

Here's a link to a BIOD site too!

http://biod.net/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biod.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	3707  
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
' That' car is a fully respectable "Renault, Twingo"!

A very comfortable and extremely gas efficient car which was sold in Italy, by advertising one of it's main great features: the front seats fold flat down with the rear seats creating a perfectly sized queen bed!! A real second home for young couples still living at home with 'mamma''!

Yes, you're right the CCD line does appeal more to us europeans due to it's modern clean looks.

Back in the old continent my friends and family used to tow (Sobs) with regular station wagons or minivans. never heard of an accident or a problem! and trust me Italians drive A LOT faster and crazier than most americans here. Especially considering the roads are much smaller and narrower there!

I guess people here just get comfy. I know I did we have an Excursion...Back in Italy a family of five could live in it! My sister still jokes about it saying she can do her swimming laps in it, if only I filled it with water...

AS for Europe! Finally!!! Go for it AS!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Buying an Airstream in the U.K.

We have all read of the travails of our fellow Forums members about seeking and then buying the 'Perfect' Airstream. Here, in the U.S. it's just a matter of time, perserverance and money. It' mainly about being in the right place at the right time. Consider for a moment how difficult it REALLY is to buy an Airstream in the U.K.

The primer at this link is interesting and informative!

http://www.eurostream.co.uk/buying.htm

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | bits 'n' bobs »