Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Lake Minnetonka , Minnesota
Airstream Ice Fishing House

Hey guys, just want to seek some guidance on a couple things. I'm looking to convert a Airstream into a fish house similar to what Vroom did here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f345...use-76461.html
I would like to go with a vintage model that used real wood instead of vinear.
I'm looking at a couple different angles.
First angle is the expensive and questionable angle of having hydraulics implemented into the torsion axle......... sketchy
Second angle would be to find the lowest riding airstream model.
looking for options in the 18ft range. Any suggestions on pulling this off?
bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Airstream Ice Fishing House

Tagging in so I can see any ideas or Input you get.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
I'm thinking anything larger than 21 would be pushing it on weight, my 31 gutted was 4300lbs so I want some something I'll be able to get on the ice early season.
I think whatever airstream I go with will probably be interesting putting wholes in the floor but I'm willing to give it a shot.

This whole idea started when I bought my first airstream, and parked it next to my pop up camper converted to a fish house. I was like hey that would be pretty awesome, then I found Vrooms thread and was sold on the idea.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Sacrilege!
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
It would be sacrilege only if you did not own it!
If you are going to make a fish house, make a nice one.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
i hear if you stick your tongue to it in the middle of winter it will stick. Double dog dare ya.

rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
It would be sacrilege only if you did not own it!
If you are going to make a fish house, make a nice one.
Sam
Your right, doing it right is going to cost a fortune, buuutttt it may be one of a kind.

Found a little gem right here. hopefully one of the old timers can step in here with some guidance before i start going through with this. I planned on gutting whatever model I pick out, so new floor with marine grade is probably in the cards anyway, is it possible to have the center of the frame cut out, with this axle put in? I think this style is the only option feasible for lowering to the ice. (obviously not on the belly)
FRAMES & SKELETONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
i hear if you stick your tongue to it in the middle of winter it will stick. Double dog dare ya.

rob.
UGH now i have to do it.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Just cool. I talk to a lot of ice house folks this time of year and love the idea.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
If I understand the function of those axles correctly all you would need to do would be to rebuild the wheel wells to clear the tires when the fish house is in the "down" position. Then change/remove the belly pan and anything that extends below the frame.
Sounds like a really fun project!
Sam
Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
If I understand the function of those axles correctly all you would need to do would be to rebuild the wheel wells to clear the tires when the fish house is in the "down" position. Then change/remove the belly pan and anything that extends below the frame.
Sounds like a really fun project!
Sam

Right, I would have aluminum wheel wells, I think I could fabricate some form of fixed jack stands. The axles are my main headache, then the actual ice holes, I don't know how I will make them look good with them going through the belly pan.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
[QUOTE=bakes;1564418 then the actual ice holes, I don't know how I will make them look good with them going through the belly pan.[/QUOTE]

A form of flanged "stove pipe" of either home made aluminum or store-bought, if something like that exists. Extending from just under interior floor "covering lid" to just through the belly pan?

Sam
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
A form of flanged "stove pipe" of either home made aluminum or store-bought, if something like that exists. Extending from just under interior floor "covering lid" to just through the belly pan?

Sam

Right, just like the black plastic ones but not plastic, I would hope to rivet it to the inside of the belly pan and some form of aluminum flap that I can close from the street side.

I've narrowed down my pondering to a 60's area 20ft Globetrotter. Makes the most sense to me. I'll probably wait around for the right one, need it to be cheap and in rough enough shape to justify a shell off modification of the frame.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakes View Post
Your right, doing it right is going to cost a fortune, buuutttt it may be one of a kind.

Found a little gem right here. hopefully one of the old timers can step in here with some guidance before i start going through with this. I planned on gutting whatever model I pick out, so new floor with marine grade is probably in the cards anyway, is it possible to have the center of the frame cut out, with this axle put in? I think this style is the only option feasible for lowering to the ice. (obviously not on the belly)
FRAMES & SKELETONS

UGH now i have to do it.
Let's jump straight to the triple dog dare-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Uff Da, Here goes.... My Dad use to build ice houses up in Minnesota. A lot of memories for me here in my Minneapolis days. (Lakes Nokomis, Calhoun, Minnetonka, Round Lake and Mille Lacs and others)
How about leaving the AS at its original ride height. Cut the hole where you want it and build the cover for it so it will support weight when not in use. (Hinged to floor or a pull out plug)
When you get it on the ice you can use large inner tubes lashed loosely together , then, slide it under the trailer, open the hatch and air them up as a stack until a good seal is made.
Dad made a knock down, stick built shack on skids. The 2 open ends were boarded
up and snow rammed up to seal everything.
I would like to see your finished product!
Stay warm
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
M.hony created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!

-Red, shooting his eye out...
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Remove the axles. Add wide sleds to support weight and ease of pulling on the ice. Some anchoring rods to drive into the ice for keep from blowing into Michigan.

Haul on a long flat bed with an electric winch to pull back onto the flat bed. Pull off with the tow vehicle. An ATV can pull the Fish Shed onto the ice. Use large diameter metal/pvc sleeves that will slide through the floor with a lip so they drop through the ice and keep the surface from icing up. PVC lids when not in use.

A good propane stove, or firewood heat source.

Don't need a refrigerator. Comfortable stools. LED lighting.

If this does not work. I am working up an idea for your making a Jet Ski out of yours for Summer fun in the water.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
If you check some of the vintage trailer sites, guys are bagging the old canned ham trailers all the time. Not sure what the suspension geometry they use is... Seems the torsion axle with some mods would be perfect for that type of thing. Leave the center section of the belly pan off so the frame sits right on the ice. I believe pre '74 nothing extended beneath the frame (black water tank) but I could be wrong there.

-Red, like a Florida boy should be commenting on ice shacks...
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
How about leaving the AS at its original ride height. Cut the hole where you want it and build the cover for it so it will support weight when not in use. (Hinged to floor or a pull out plug)
When you get it on the ice you can use large inner tubes lashed loosely together , then, slide it under the trailer, open the hatch and air them up as a stack until a good seal is made.
Dad made a knock down, stick built shack on skids. The 2 open ends were boarded
up and snow rammed up to seal everything.
I would like to see your finished product!
Stay warm
I really like the inner tube idea, thats brilliant. That'll be plan B if I can't figure out how to work out the hydraulic torsion axle. I have a pop up camper converted to a fish house right now, It does the job but the distance to the ice bothers me, and its about a foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Remove the axles. Add wide sleds to support weight and ease of pulling on the ice. Some anchoring rods to drive into the ice for keep from blowing into Michigan.

Haul on a long flat bed with an electric winch to pull back onto the flat bed. Pull off with the tow vehicle. An ATV can pull the Fish Shed onto the ice. Use large diameter metal/pvc sleeves that will slide through the floor with a lip so they drop through the ice and keep the surface from icing up. PVC lids when not in use.

A good propane stove, or firewood heat source.

Don't need a refrigerator. Comfortable stools. LED lighting.

If this does not work. I am working up an idea for your making a Jet Ski out of yours for Summer fun in the water.
See thats a good idea too, but I plan on using it for hunting trips to the Dakota's and northern MN. I have problems with my current shack holes freezing over with the foot distance from the ice, even when its tropical temps in the shack and sleeves down to the ice. also have a wood burner in that one, but i'm going to make this one nice so the wife will actually want to come out and be comfy.

I plan on gutting it, putting in nice cabinets and the following features. a small bathroom with a removable toilet, propane furnace, small propane fridge, small stove top, conventional oven, sink, a small heated fresh water tank, a bait live well if i can work that out, small dinette if i can fit it, 4 bunks, maybe even heated floors if i can work out a closed loop system from my water heater. Top it off with a couple solar panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
If you check some of the vintage trailer sites, guys are bagging the old canned ham trailers all the time. Not sure what the suspension geometry they use is... Seems the torsion axle with some mods would be perfect for that type of thing. Leave the center section of the belly pan off so the frame sits right on the ice. I believe pre '74 nothing extended beneath the frame (black water tank) but I could be wrong there.

-Red, like a Florida boy should be commenting on ice shacks...
I've been trolling the classifieds for a couple weeks, seems like the people selling right now are off their rockers, I saw a globetrotter "As Found" put up for 12K, maybe just maybe if it was polished. Is it me or is that pretty nuts? Every time I see "original" and "everything works" I just laugh to myself. I bought my 72 sovereign and "everything works",
Fridge $1400
Water heater $500
Pex plumbing $200
Toilet $300
Poop, Shower, Shave, Breakfast- Priceless.