Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Jeff, since you lived in Chile...there's really no difference between your LP gas and our Gas licuado (liquid gas) right ?. Just different names like gas and "bencina" ?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #30
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Aage:

You know far more about Airstream electrics than i do. I was thinking also of any plug outlets and the wiring to them. Audio visual equipment. And most importantly, the shore power connection and wiring. It may be easy to change all that, I don't know. I was suggesting that sometimes it is easier not to modify the house or trailer, but rather just leave it as an island on the voltage it was designed and wired for.

Another issue is that given the lack of RV facilities, there may be no easy shore power connections. We had no higher amp circuits in our houses there. A 150 kva generator is pretty large. Using the AC in future likely means running a smaller portable generator, and it is just as easy to buy a 120 v one as a 220 v one.

Jeff

Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Yes, replacing the converter for a 220v to 12v one would the trick. What about the wall sockets ?. For example in case you want to plug a toaster or a water boiler ?. Or to charge a phone ?.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
I think wiring is pretty much the same for 120 as 220v. Ground, neutral and hot. In fact many electronics from the US are universal 110-230v and we just need to replace the plug !.

The 150kva generator is meant for the movie only where we need to power huge lighting fixtures like the 18.000w Arrimax or 12.000w. This genny is mounted on its own truck.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #33
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoy View Post
Jeff, since you lived in Chile...there's really no difference between your LP gas and our Gas licuado (liquid gas) right ?. Just different names like gas and "bencina" ?
We used a large Weber BBQ from Canada (heresy to the local fans of asados). Worked fine on local propane in Anto. The problem is the tanks and filling them, since the tanks we saw in Chile had different connections. I used to take our 20 lb tank to the Lipigas wholesale distribution centre and line up with the delivery trucks. They filled it with a converter, but it wasn't convenient. We moved to the UK next, with the same BBQ. I converted the BBQ to a local (UK) regulator and used a local tank. The gas was a different composition there in the UK, but it worked. It seems to me you should plan to change the regulator and attachment points and find a way of securing the new tanks.

We found that importing things like these could be a challenge, even though we had the benefit of the 'settler's possessions' exception. It isn't just a case of sea freight. The customs inspectors picked up on specific items, like the serial numbers of each appliance. They didn't know what to make of the 20lb tank. I told them it came with the BBQ. They said I couldn't use it in Chile (I never figured out if they meant not possible, or not allowed). They let it in after discussions. Expect similar conversations. I brought a Ford Expedition in a 20 foot ISO container and shipped it home without getting it licensed, after several months of negotiation. Everything else made it in fine.

Buena suerte!

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you convert all the appliances to 220V and disconnect the ones that won't run on 220V then your 220V stuff should connect to the existing sockets. You might need an adapter to do this. I don't know what your wall plugs look like. I don't see why you can't make a simple pig tail that has the US male plug on one end and your female plug on the other end.

Perry
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I think wiring is pretty much the same for 120 as 220v. Ground, neutral and hot. In fact many electronics from the US are universal 110-230v and we just need to replace the plug !.
That works for very low amp devices like cell phone chargers. For larger loads remember that the watts are constant, so different voltages result in different currents. Also, items are rated for a certain volt and amp rating, so even if they appear fine and safe they can fail an inspection. Been there.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Where does the sockets power in the trailer come from ?. I assume not from the converter since it's 12v out.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #37
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
From the shore power connection. 30 amp or 50 amp service.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Yes, replacing the converter for a 220v to 12v one would the trick. What about the wall sockets ?. For example in case you want to plug a toaster or a water boiler ?. Or to charge a phone ?.
If you convert the wiring so as to be able to plug the coach into local (Chile) power, any 220V appliances can be plugged into the AC electrical outlets in the coach, provided you change over the socket style to Chile sockets.

Quote:
Here in North America RVs use LP gas, which is "Liquid Propane". 'bencina' sounds like Benzine, which is not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Aage:

You know far more about Airstream electrics than i do. I was thinking also of any plug outlets and the wiring to them. Audio visual equipment. And most importantly, the shore power connection and wiring. It may be easy to change all that, I don't know. I was suggesting that sometimes it is easier not to modify the house or trailer, but rather just leave it as an island on the voltage it was designed and wired for.
See above for "plug outlets". It does occur to me though that any TVs in the coach will not, to my knowledge, work on 220V (with or without adapters), and so will also have to be changed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Another issue is that given the lack of RV facilities, there may be no easy shore power connections. We had no higher amp circuits in our houses there. A 150 kva generator is pretty large. Using the AC in future likely means running a smaller portable generator, and it is just as easy to buy a 120 v one as a 220 v one.

Jeff
This will easily be sorted by a local Chilean electrician IMHO. You could contact one now to see what they think about this whole idea.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
In the USA there is a black wire (hot), white wire (neutral), and a ground wire. The neutral and ground are connected together but the green wire is used for safety to ground any metal enclosure so if a hot wire touches you won't get electrocuted. When you wire to 220V you need to make sure you don't get the hot and neutral reversed. A TV made for 220V will work. I am sure there are small step down transformers to make a 120V TV work on 220V but I am not even sure a US made TV can pick up your stations. I would get rid of all the US electronic toys and replace them with locally bought stuff. A new trailer will have more gadgets that will need to be replaced than an old trailer. I would get car chargers and plug into the 12V system. We charge all our phones with USB 12V chargers and power tablets and Ipods etc. I think even the new trailers have a 12V car stereo for music.

Perry
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
A TV made for 220V will work. I am sure there are small step down transformers to make a 120V TV work on 220V but I am not even sure a US made TV can pick up your stations.
Step-down transformers do not take the 60Hz supply to the 50Hz that Chile's power grid uses. So unless the TV runs only on 12VDC, it will become just an elegant-looking doorstop.

If it is a 12VDC TV set, then luckily, Chile uses the NTSC broadcast system, so it will work off-air.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just about all electronic devices are powered by DC internally. The AC is converted to DC and the DC is used to power the electronics. I don't think 50Hz is going to hurt anything. I would replace everything with locally bought electronics that run off of 50Hz 220V.

Perry
Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #42
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I think we've come full circle.

Using simple step-down transformers, we used our North American TVs, radios, VCRs, computers, printers, routers, kitchen appliances (including those with AC motors), fans, sewing machine and serger, small power tools, and so on, for three years in Chile. They all worked great. Dozens of other ex-pat families were doing the same where we were. Mains frequency never mattered. TV is the same standard in Chile.

Aage, bencina is gasoline as the OP noted. Gas Licuado is bottled gas aka LPG.

The shore power problem is not just a technical one for the Chilean electrician. The lack of heavier duty circuits in Chilean construction means that it will likely be difficult to find anything to plug into when camping. We had one house there that had six or so circuits, others were similar. We were in the north of Chile, no central heat, gas for hot water and cooking. The design needs to start with what powers the trailer up to the shore power plug, then knowing the capability of that circuit the air conditioner question may be moot and the entire rest of the trailer could be run off one portable transformer purchased for a few hundred dollars. That was my original thought, anyway.

I looked up camping hookups in Chile and found a travel log by a North American who mentioned that he commonly found plug ins at Chilean campgrounds, but they were suitable only for lighting. He used a 1500 watt transformer to the camper, and noted that the only appliance that worked differently was the microwave (it didn't heat water as efficiently).

Jeff