Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How are you going to get the trailer to where you are? So you are going to use it in Chile where you live. You live there and you will use the trailer in Chile when the movie is over? I think contacting Airstream you help you. They can tell you what you will need to change and what is available in 220V that is off the shelf.

Perry

Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How are you going to get the trailer to where you are? So you are going to use it in Chile where you live. You live there and you will use the trailer in Chile when the movie is over? I think contacting Airstream you help you. They can tell you what you will need to change and what is available in 220V that is off the shelf.

Perry
I'll bring the trailer by seafreight. I did a corporate film around the world for CSAV a couple of years ago and might get a good price. Yes I want to keep the trailer and use it after the movie is done.

I'm already talking to Airstream (service) and they told me they haven't converted a 110v trailer to 220v yet. They are going to see what is possible with a new unit.

Also trying to contact someone from marketing at Airstream but no much luck yet...

So far the 27 Eddie Bauer seems like the right one. It's not as modern looking as the other models and light enough for the F150.
For the movie it will be tow with a G series 90's Mercedes, but just for the shots.
The actual towing will be done by the F150.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
You could just leave the trailer as it is with 12v/120v and carry a single transformer/electrical distribution box that stepped down the 220 to 120 and connected with an umbilical to the standard trailer shore power plug. It would be small enough to fit in an external storage compartment.

We spent three years in Chile (Anto) and then another three years in Europe, and had five transformers spread around the house to power audio/visual, computers, and kitchen countertop appliances. When we came home we had a 220 v Italian ice cream maker with a compressor with us, and it is still running years later on one of the old transformers, with the plugs reversed to function as a step-up transformer from 120 to 220.

It just seems like it would be expensive to get a custom built Airstream unless they have a 220 v version for those markets. A transformer is cheap and reliable. You just have to remember which appliances are voltage-sensing and which ones aren't.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You could just leave the trailer as it is with 12v/120v and carry a single transformer/electrical distribution box that stepped down the 220 to 120 and connected with an umbilical to the standard trailer shore power plug.
The only thing I would worry about there is any appliances with AC motors. I believe that the AC unit has such a motor. They don't all accept running on a 60Hz supply if they were manufactured for 50Hz.

But hopefully the Airstream person you contacted knows the details of this question...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Hi Jeff, you lived for three years in Antofagasta ?. Working for a mining company over there ?. Been there many times. The Dakar rally passes nearby on summer.

That's an option yes, having a lot of transformers all over the trailer but there are two problems. I assume the AC, which I understand is 120v might be internally wired so no chance to use a "plug and play transformer" there. Also this way I would have to be all over my 4 kids so they don't plug things without using the transformers. Knowing them, specially the little twins, I'd have everything burned except for the AC within a year.

I assume, since Airstream sells trailers to Europe too, this should be a standard option for them !.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The only thing I would worry about there is any appliances with AC motors. I believe that the AC unit has such a motor. They don't all accept running on a 60Hz supply if they were manufactured for 50Hz.

But hopefully the Airstream person you contacted knows the details of this question...
Yes, the AC is a concern. Also I don't really like the idea of having transformers all over the place. Specially when you have very limited space as in a trailer.

Perhaps one transformer for the main input but you still have the AC.

The last problem is to replace the american sockets for ours. But that should be an easier job...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
An Airstream 28 rates at 7.600 lbs. aprox. Almost 2.000 lbs. below the max towing capacity. Sounds good to me.
Me too. What is your payload? (see door of truck)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Me too. What is your payload? (see door of truck)
It's 7.200 lbs.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #23
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Agreed, it can be an issue, depending on the load factor of the specific motor. Our experience over six years was that we never failed an appliance. YMMV.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoy View Post
Yes, the AC is a concern. Also I don't really like the idea of having transformers all over the place. Specially when you have very limited space as in a trailer.

Perhaps one transformer for the main input but you still have the AC.

The last problem is to replace the american sockets for ours. But that should be an easier job...
Also, the water heater in some models of AS uses 120V 60Hz, but since there is no motor, it -may- be OK with just a transformer, BUT you have the option of using only LP gas. The transformer recommended earlier would be only ONE transformer a 240V to 120V unit, and it would only reduce the voltage for the converter.

The converter would then reduce the 120V to 12VDC, and 12VDC is what runs all the lighting in any AS I have seen. It also supplies power for the furnace fan and its circuit board, and the refer (refrigerator) circuit board(s).

Since when travelling your auto takes over the electrical supply for exterior lights, there is no problem there.

So, I suppose that one could say that as long as you can do without the AC, and buy one very high quality transformer, you really shouldn't have a problem just running a 120V AS in Chile. The only solution to the AC problem that I can see is is to buy a 240V RV AC unit locally that is suitable to fit your trailer's roof.

two caveats:
  • I would verify this with an engineer to be sure my assumptions are valid.
  • I cannot suggest any strategy to remove your boys from the equation
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It just hit me that you could also replace the converter with one for the local market. They would, of course, reduce 240V to 12VDC.

You would still need to replace the AC unit.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoy View Post
Hi Jeff, you lived for three years in Antofagasta ?. Working for a mining company over there ?. Been there many times. The Dakar rally passes nearby on summer.

That's an option yes, having a lot of transformers all over the trailer but there are two problems. I assume the AC, which I understand is 120v might be internally wired so no chance to use a "plug and play transformer" there. Also this way I would have to be all over my 4 kids so they don't plug things without using the transformers. Knowing them, specially the little twins, I'd have everything burned except for the AC within a year.

I assume, since Airstream sells trailers to Europe too, this should be a standard option for them !.
Mining equipment distributor. Large trucks and support equipment. Living in Antofagasta was a fantastic experience, but not always easy, especially with a family.

I wouldn't put transformers around the trailer, but I would consider using one primary transformer. Maybe the AC has to be wired direct to 220 v but you could leave the rest and use the trailer on 120 v. We had two kids. We controlled the availability of plug converters that didn't convert voltage. They just knew the difference between 120 volt flat and 220 v round plugs.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I wouldn't put transformers around the trailer, but I would consider using one primary transformer. Maybe the AC has to be wired direct to 220 v but you could leave the rest and use the trailer on 120 v. We had two kids. We controlled the availability of plug converters that didn't convert voltage. They just knew the difference between 120 volt flat and 220 v round plugs.

Jeff
Jeff, that's my point: what else IS there? Replace the AC unit, the 120V to 12VDC converter to a 240V one, and voilà: there's all the lights OK and operational, also the furnace, the refer, the water pump, etc etc.

I must have missed something. Can you see what it is? Oh yeah, disconnect the 120V power supply to the water heater (if there is a 12V feed on it), and use LP gas only.

It's really not a big deal, apart from replacing the AC. Converters are what, couple hundred bucks?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Sorry wrong info, the truck is 1570 lbs max payload.

GVWR Max is 7200 lbs.