Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
1970 Sovereign Airstream change twin beds?

We luv our airstream but the twin beds in the middle are not big enuf for hubby has anybody out there done a modification with these to make bigger area..also looking for a rear bumper
Thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
enlarging the twin bed

Joe and I prepared to enlarge the side gaucho so that it would be larger than the standard 46" width to a wider-than double-bed for us both (and never did the job- I changed my mind). We bought nice wood slides from vintage trailer supply that would allow us to have a gaucho and then pull it out to as much as 55" wide, removed the old metal slides, and then I decided to add a single on the other side, and convert the gaucho to a single also, instead of a double-plus. There are lots of pros and cons to the pull-out, but it is very do-able. If you decide there is any merit to a pull out, we still have the slides I could sell to you at a reduced price. And of course there is the "just build a gaucho" approach- the couch that doubles as a pull out bed- standard AS issue! I am sure there are parts from gauchos (we may even have the old metal hardware from our old gaucho...) that you could scrounge. Good Luck.

Kathy

Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I am thinking along the same lines as you. My TT had no beds in center, PO removed them, now empty. I am thinking of a futon double bed. Anyone have pros, cons?Might be easier than building from scratch.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We've attempted to enjoy the double, the sofa pull out from the front, but ended up building two twins for the mid coach 72 31 foot international. many times I wish to have a double plus, but one of us will have the curbside of the coach to face due to all of the vents and water lines on that side. In a recent Extreme RV show, the showed a bed, similar to a futon, that electrically went into sofa mode and then at night with a touch of a button went into a queen size bed. I wondered, can this be placed perpendicular to the mid coach to work? Still researching.

We ended up making mid coach twins, bought the mattresses to fit from Bradd and Hall 32"x76" memory top (12" total depth) and to be honest, they work fine and we sleep very well. At the expense of trading up, or continuing to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to refine, this is a very good compromise. With the open floor to go forward and aft of the LY life is good. There is a comeback for twins it seems as after a great day of being with the family, sleep is a good thing.

I've attached a few photos to give you an idea of how it will look with two 32" wide mattresses. they are grainy shots, but I think you'll get the concept.

Only thing we did not due was build the bed platforms to lift with gas pistons so you can use the storage. Plan on fixing that this winter. Also recommend using marine plywood for the platform tops.

Good luck and its only money!

SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 085.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	163457   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 086.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	163458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 084.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	163461   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 090.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	163464  

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
If you use a ply base don't forget to make provision for ventillation, to avoid a damp mattress. Condensation can be a killer if no air is allowed in .
A few strategically drilled 2"-3"holes will suffice.

Hope this helps

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign