Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Go Get 'em hampstead!!!

Karma to you for your efforts so far. What goes around....comes around!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Update

I finally managed to contact "Christie" with NYK Line (the shipper with whom I am not to speak directly). She had not received the email from Vanessa, but I forwarded the information to her. Apparently, I do not need an "appointment." I just have to show up on the daily access list. Once in get inside the Port, I will need to find my way to "Mid Atlantic" where apparently someone will tell me where Remco's truck is located.

My own truck is in the shop today, but I plan to visit the Port tomorrow morning. Not to be a pessimist, but I think it's 50/50 on getting into the Port. The odds are probably a bit worse on getting someone from Mid Atlantic to show me the vehicle. I'll take a pocket full of phone numbers, just in case.

On the positive side, if I can't diagnose the problem with Remco's truck, I have all of the information ready for a real mechanic to step in.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm getting the feeling that the truck might just start on the first try.

if it just makes a noise, the audio from a cell phone to one of you helpers might steer you to the problem. i wish you represented my town!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Ken is alowed into the port tomorow.
Our Vanessa seems to be real cooperative with Ken now.
I can't thank Ken enough for what he's doing.
I hope the truck gets on its way to me on the 26th

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Update: I took the day off and made it into the Port. It took some time (and paper shuffling), but I eventually located the truck. The battery is fine. It would seem the starter solenoid is shot (or that is my shadetree mechanic guess.) The starter looks like a two-bolt drop out, but the exhaust manifold makes it pretty tight work. The purpose of this trip was to locate the vehicle, secure Remco's paperwork and do a preliminary diagnostic. While I think the starter is a good bet, there could be ignition or other electric issues. The truck is a '79, after all.

The truck's not as bad I feared. It has a cheap "Krylon" paint job. They shot over some serious rust on the firewall. I told Remco that I'd worry a bit that they a painted over some body rust... an unpleasant thing to discover. I didn't see any obvious evidence of an accident. The interior was rough, but about what I'd expect from a nearly 30-year-old Chevy. Since Remco is a much better mechanic than me, I'm sure he'll have it pulling his Airstream on the Autobahn at 200 kph.

So, what's the plan? I referred Remco to an excellent professional mechanic familiar with the port and who has worked for me in the past. I'm giving the mechanic my notes on the vehicles location and all of the information necessary to secure access to the port. The only downside for Remoc is that mechanics charge money while Good Samaritans work for free. Hopefully, I've broken enough trail for the mechanic to arrive at the port, find the vehicle quickly, swap in a starter, make any other repairs necessary to get the truck and get the Chevy on the ship before it sails.

I did take a number of high resolution digital photos for Remco. My lovely bride will download them and email them to me so I can forward them to Remco. He can take a look at visual information a bit more objective than the Ebay ad.

By the way, thanks, Ricky. I wish more people in my small city felt the way you do. Of course, if I had to write you a zoning violation or some odd thing, you might not look so kindly upon me. Of course, there's probably an Airstream exception some where in the Code...

I'll stay in contact with Remco and the mechanic until the problem is resolved. Hopefully, I won't need to spend any more time on hold with ATI or trying to explain "customer service" to young Vanessa. I'm wrapping up things at work so my wife and I can take a road trip vacation to Chicago. We're trying to find time to do a bit of vintage travel trailer scouting, but family obligations (and Cubs tickets) make this touch-and-go. Oh, and I'm trying to manage vehicle repairs of my own to make sure I'm not calling Remco from the side of the road.

By the way, if my wife "forces" me to buy a vintage Westcraft or Spartan, I hope you folks will still let me stop by.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the update hampstead. You really outdid yourself. Good luck on the trailer search.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
you've got a really sharp red tape scissors!

enjoy that vacation, you might need two after the last week!

say, if you find a trailer maybe vanessa can help you get it shipped

great update.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I contacted the mechanic and we try to get him to the port early next week.
So bit a little bit of luck the truck can be here by the 7 th of august.
I also recieved the pics hampstead made for me.
Looking at the pics made me send a Email to the trucking compagny that brought the truck to baltimore.
Acording to the trucking company they replaced the battery with a NEW one.
But Hampstead already told me it was not new.
On the pics I could see that it was exacly the same as the one in the Ebay ad from the truck.
So I asked them for a explaination.
Hopfuly I can update here soon with the message that the truck is on its way.
Remco
Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Hi Remco,
sorry to hear you're having these problems with your TV. My only observation on the problem is that money is best spent in the US where spares are comparitively cheap and plentiful. I'm seriously considering a stop at an Airstream dealer for service and fix for the next trailer I import. A friend over here had a faulty alternator on a Jeep Cherokee - it cost him $800 for a new one! I have "encouraged" US suppliers on ebay to send spares to me by offering "big moolah" for the shipping and still saved money as against UK suppliers. Good luck with it all!
Marc
Old 07-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I believe this saga is coming to a conclusion. While I'm officially on vacation, I checked my email this morning to find a note from my assistant. My local mechanic has repaired Remco's truck. It is now operational and, God willing, it should be loaded on the ship. I retrieved the title from the glove compartment and send them airmail to Remco's shipping company in Belgium.

I don't have a report yet on what was wrong, but the mechanic purchased two starters because the '79 Chevy has a ninety-something swap in engine and no one was sure which starter it needed. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't figure this out covered in dirt and oil under Remco's Chevy at the Port of Baltimore.

Vanessa needed one final bit of encouragement to schedule access for the mechanic. With my "red tape machete," I gave her one final "gentle" nudge. She's too busy being sure she was right about everything to have learned much about customer service. As such, I would recommend against using ATI USA for your Airstream or TV shipping needs.

So, as our story ends, Remco is waiting like an expectant father for his 1979 Chevy dually. His wife is waiting for Remco to put the truck on the road so they can resume the "Aiststream life." Vanessa is still waiting to answer a telephone that has been ringing for two days. As for me, I'm justg waiting to find our vintage travel trailer. Thanks to everyone who has contributed the kinds words and positive encouragement. Perhaps Remco can end this thread with a picture of the Chevy towing his AS?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
may karma bring you your wishes, you've earned it. if nothing else, it's got to make you feel good!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
What a great story...this is the way things used to be done in America...someone needed a 'hand' and help was offered without hesitation...no 'what's in it for me' attitudes!

As we travel through life, many of us have the opportunity to provide small acts of kindness to those we meet...we can only hope they will pass it along to those they meet...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Great Job!!

Great Job Hampsted38!!!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I realy hope the hambstead is right and that I have the chevy here soon.
It should have left the USA on the 26th and I requested our dear Vanessa to Email me the bill of lading.
Up till now I did not recieved it.
So I won't be supriced if the chevy is still @ the docks in Baltimore.
Hambstead did a realy great favour to me I'll only can say thanks and I hope that whenever he needs a trailor inspector or any other assitance that some people remember this.
Thanks again for all the great support.

Remco
Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
The chevy did not make it on the vessel that`sailed on the 26 th
But it is on board a vessel now that left the 28 th.
ETA for Zeebrugge belgium is august 10th.
2 or 3 days for the paperwork, so with a bit of luck I have the truck here around the 14 th.

Remco
Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #56
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Remco... you gotta post some pix when she arrives! Hopefully, everything works out just peachy-keen!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
As we say in Montana,"yee haw." I'm going to light a candle for the safe voyage of the ship and its cargo.

I just finished talking with a sales representative in Stafford, Virginia. They have a 2001 Safari SS that might fit what my wife and I are looking for. For better or worse, we're still on our vacation and it doesn't look like we'll make it to Virginia (if we keep to our schedule and planned rides on a couple of historic railroads). He wanted a refundable "deposit" to hold the trailer. Any thoughts, Airstream experts?

I spoke with my wife this morning and we talked about going "newer" rather than "vintage." My comments were shaped by my experience with Remco and this thread. Airstream, I said, is not just a brand. It's a community. I don't think I did anything particularly "special" here. I just helped a guy in a tight spot. What I think was remarkable is that the minute Remco posted, it's wasn't just his problem. It was everyone in the community's problem. Everyone helped with support and encouragement... I just happened to be the guy living closest to the situation. You folks are great and one of the best reasons to buy an Airstream.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
As we say in Montana,"yee haw." I'm going to light a candle for the safe voyage of the ship and its cargo.

I just finished talking with a sales representative in Stafford, Virginia. They have a 2001 Safari SS that might fit what my wife and I are looking for. For better or worse, we're still on our vacation and it doesn't look like we'll make it to Virginia (if we keep to our schedule and planned rides on a couple of historic railroads). He wanted a refundable "deposit" to hold the trailer. Any thoughts, Airstream experts?

I spoke with my wife this morning and we talked about going "newer" rather than "vintage." My comments were shaped by my experience with Remco and this thread. Airstream, I said, is not just a brand. It's a community. I don't think I did anything particularly "special" here. I just helped a guy in a tight spot. What I think was remarkable is that the minute Remco posted, it's wasn't just his problem. It was everyone in the community's problem. Everyone helped with support and encouragement... I just happened to be the guy living closest to the situation. You folks are great and one of the best reasons to buy an Airstream.
Completely agree and well said. I'd always thought Airstreams were cool. I started looking for one, rather passively, about a year ago. About six months ago I stumbled across this Forum, saw how passionate and sincere the people were, and also saw some of their amazing transformations. I knew at that point I had to have an Airstream, and I knew it had to be vintage. Since uwe's "'63 For Me" thread was probably the first full monte thread I ever read, I think in the back of my mind I even knew that the vintage trailer I eventually purchased must be a '63 Overlander.

Here we are six months later, and five days ago I picked up a 1963 Overlander. I picked it up from a family on these Forums, who had purchased from another family on these Forums. This place really is a family, and one of the biggest reasons why I now own a vintage Airstream.

Best of luck to remco and Hampstead, and I look forward to seeing pictures of the truck once it arrives in Europe.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Completely agree and well said. I'd always thought Airstreams were cool. I started looking for one, rather passively, about a year ago. About six months ago I stumbled across this Forum, saw how passionate and sincere the people were, and also saw some of their amazing transformations. I knew at that point I had to have an Airstream, and I knew it had to be vintage. Since uwe's "'63 For Me" thread was probably the first full monte thread I ever read, I think in the back of my mind I even knew that the vintage trailer I eventually purchased must be a '63 Overlander.

Here we are six months later, and five days ago I picked up a 1963 Overlander. I picked it up from a family on these Forums, who had purchased from another family on these Forums. This place really is a family, and one of the biggest reasons why I now own a vintage Airstream.

Best of luck to remco and Hampstead, and I look forward to seeing pictures of the truck once it arrives in Europe.

-Marcus
Congratulations on your new 63. You are going to be so happy. Uwe is working on our 68 Ambassador right now......he is doing a fabulous job. We can't wait to go camping.....

Also, so glad the ship has sailed.....wishing the truck has a safe journey. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Remco sent a PM to me earlier this week asking for the tracking number of the USPS/FedEx package that I sent to his shipping agent in Belgium. According to the note, Remco's 1979 Chevy dually will be available for pickup (pun intended) tomorrow. So, apparently the ship has arrived safely and (cross my fingers) so has the title. I hope the battery has held a charge on its transoceanic voyage and the new starter kicks the big block over. If so, I think it's Grolsch time.