Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1978 Travelux President 31' , Ontario
Towing/Shipping on a float/low-boy, experience anyone?

Hi all, I am going to be the new owner of a 31 foot trailer in about a week. I need to get it moved but it can't tow long distance because of some minor rust/weakness at tow package. I plan on getting it moved closer to me and have welding work done on front hitch area. Needs to travel 500 Km. I looked high and low in the forums including in Shipping & Export/Import forum for info related but can't find a word about it. Looking for anyone with experience or advice on moving a trailer long distance on a what I have been told is called a "float" or aka "low-boy float", essentially it's a low flat bed. I will leave it up to the experts moving it but would love to know the procedure for tying it down, winching it on to the bed etc. Just want do the best for the new baby Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on posting photo's of the operation for the next person who asks this Apologies to the moderators if this has been posted in wrong area.
Thank you!
LuckyLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
Transporting all kinds of vintage trailers in many conditions is my business.
In your case depending on the amt if rust you could have the hitch welded and reinforced then tow it. We have made temporary hitches consisting of 5-6 " box tube made into a matching 'A' frame with it's own coupler, which bolt under the damaged ones, and more elaborate set ups to get trailers moved... It is still cheaper to do it that way than the expense of having a flat bed company do it.
Best of luck,
RJ

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote