Old 02-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st micheals , worcestershire
hi i was quoted by a US broker 5k us dollors for roro but that was last year from LA to any oz port ... always try a us broker first .

Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Cairns , Queensland Australia
Steve, sounds too cheap for roro. How do they measure vans ( travel trailers / caravans ) in the states? Are they quoting the Overall Hitch to Back bumper measurement, or do you work on the internal body length? For example, how long overall is a 34' Excella?

My brother ( customs & frieght broker ) confirms that flatrack is the way to go instead of roro. This has significantly reduced the cost, and consequently raised my enthusiasm. Exchange rate is a bit nasty however.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

I will be watching

Back about 2 years ago, myself and Pete Daniels (PP WDCU) started working on a "Australia Caravan" that would last about six weeks. The plan was to ship late 60's, early 70's trailers over that everything ran on propane (lessening the need for electric change overs) use them on the caravan then sell them to help pay for the trip. If my memory is correct, Pete had someone that wanted to buy all the trailers at the end. We had planned to use a service that setup caravans to make all the arrangements, we would use rented Toyota Land Cruisers(diesel) to pull.

I would be interested is some exchange of ideas from our friends down under to help out on the trip.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Cairns , Queensland Australia
Hey Paul. What you call a 'Caravan', we call a "tour / trip " etc. To us a "Caravan" is what you refer to as a "Travel Trailer". Funny ( to me anyway! ). There were some older threads relating to bringing AS's to Oz, but I don't think anyone's got one here - not that I can find anyway, other than the New models ( basecamp? ) which are here. Maybe the costs just blew out?

I can't figure out the intricacies of forum messaging - can you email me ( billa@davidmccoyhomes.com.au )and we'll have see if there's mutual benefits with your plans.

Cheers, Bill.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #19

Geelong , Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Back about 2 years ago, myself and Pete Daniels (PP WDCU) started working on a "Australia Caravan" that would last about six weeks. The plan was to ship late 60's, early 70's trailers over that everything ran on propane (lessening the need for electric change overs) use them on the caravan then sell them to help pay for the trip. If my memory is correct, Pete had someone that wanted to buy all the trailers at the end. We had planned to use a service that setup caravans to make all the arrangements, we would use rented Toyota Land Cruisers(diesel) to pull.

I would be interested is some exchange of ideas from our friends down under to help out on the trip.
Hey Paul. Let me know if you go through with your plan. We might be able to take one off your hands. Rgds, Ben
Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #20

Southbank, Melbourne , Victoria
I was quoted by carex shipping US$170per Cubic meter for all fees from the departure port of Long Beach CA. This was to Melbourne, Australia. I thought this price was fairly good for ro/ro. Not including destination port fees though. Insurance was extra at a percentage of the declared value. So it seems to work out relatively cheap for one of the smaller vans which is exactly what im interested in.

Saying this buyers agents have quoted me in excess of US$10k. So how the price difference is qorked out I have no idea.

I guess the hard bit is to find the van I want.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Perth , Western Australia
Has anyone actually got one here yet? AUstralia
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
2006 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
london , london
Hi when shipping motorhomes or 5 th wheelers to Australia are UK from USA, rate depends on size.
As rates are based on m3. If you have a small motorhome you can load it inside a 40 FT HQ container, which will lower yr costs cosiderable compared to a roro service
Ex USA the alternatives are to ship roro or on a flat rack . Shipping Bulk I would not recommend, the motorhome goes in the hold of the ship, and yes it is cheap ex UK, but so many units get damaged and the shippingline does not take any responsibility
Ex USA to UK, you need to calculate with a rate of USD 40 per m3, ex UK and ex USA to Australia, you need to advise the exact dims as rate reall depends on that as part is calculated on linear meter and other part on m3.

Shipping to australia is simple and not stress full if all is well prepared and notb a last minute job
Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
2006 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
london , london
Yes in a lot of cases shipping on a flat rack is cheaper then roro. What yiu need to do is make a comparison of all possibilities and this depends on the dimensions of yr motorhome, to decide the options you have. Do not forget, shipping on a flat rack gives you an extra cost in loading flat rack and discharging the flat rack, so you need to make a comparison of all costs involved
Let us know if you have more question
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Bardon , Queensland
Hi all,

I'm currently importing an Airstream into Australia so I can speak from genuine experience.

Our 25ft trailer is costing us less than $8,000 to import to Australia.

Speak to Frank at Kiawah Lines in WA - he ships from anywhere in the USA to anywhere in Australia including overland components at either end. Just Google him. He can talk you through the whole process. Flat rack is not the way to go these days. What you save in shipping costs you pay double for in racking service. Plus, 80% of shippers aren't accepting flatrack anymore.

There are a handful of shippers bringing trailers into Australia. Frank has been excellent:Informative, responsive, cost effective, NOT SLEAZY like many are.

I'm exposing full details of our experience doing this on a blog that I'm writing as I go. Warts and all. Costs, mistakes, how tos etc.

Australian Airstream Trailer

Check it out.

Matt
Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #25

Southbank, Melbourne , Victoria
Thanks for posting in this thread! I got the email notification and I read your blog straight away. It has reignited my desire which could cause relationship issues! Lol.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Bardon , Queensland
Ha, relationship issues!

: )

The trick is to involve your partner and bring her / him along for the ride.

My partner is very much on-board, she is having a great time looking at designs and layouts etc.

Get your spanners on a copy of the "My Cool Caravan" book. The shots are all so beautiful they are just bound to fall in love with them.

Good luck with the "sales process".

Matt.