Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Shipping new-to-us 27FB to Alaska

Folks, so far it looks like Totem Ocean Trailer Express from Tacoma to Anchorage is the best bet for getting a 27FB here, since we simply can't get from here to there and back again in a week or 10 days. I don't want to break in myself and my gear on a fast trip like that. While I have several years of "ice road trucker" experience in AK; it was long ago and different circumstances.

So, Portland to Tacoma (dealer will arrange a TV to pull it for hire) then three days inside a ship to Anchorage. I will visit the dealer for the new owner orientation the day before it leaves the lot for the ship yard. The other brand was more expensive by a few hundred and had no inside-the-vessel space (barge) and the AK Ferry was few grand cheaper but complicated.

Did I miss any options?
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
My first thought was.... why not just buy the trailer in Alaska? But then I found there are no Airstream dealers in Alaska, and those in Canada aren't much closer than those in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Bummer.

Were it me I'd be concerned about shipping a trailer all the way to Alaska, then finding it had some warranty issues or adjustments that would be taken care of by the buying dealer.

Why not use the trailer to camp in for a week or so near the selling dealer, then take your time and drive back home with it after you're secure in the knowledge that the trailer needs no repairs or adjustments?
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Rational thoughts, all. For about two years we have been back and forth and looking for local alternatives. Found a "deal" on a lightly used unit from a dealer, and took the plunge. It's a risk, for sure. Hopefully our due diligence and an extensive inspection at the dealer, before shipping, will cure most concerns.
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
How did this end?
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote