Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Shipping a narrow model Airstream in Container - anyone done this?

Hi there
Has anyone had any experience of shipping a narrow bodied Airstream in a container. The narrow bodies were the 1964, 65 , 66 Caravel measuring 84inches (2.13m or 7 foot).

There is not a great deal of clearance either side but my shipper said they use thick bubble wrap. It is much cheaper to ship this way but could be risky.

Anyone done this with these models?

Thanks!
Sarah
Redraspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The argosy minuets were also 7' wide as were the very rare special '80 Airstreams. I am not sure, but I think some of the recent (late 2008's or 9's, the sports models) also were narrow, but I may be all wet on that. Someone else may know.

No shipping experience here however, sorry. I would think any bubble wrap might scratch the exterior metal surface, but that is just conjecture on my part.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Thanks ideoba, i think they wrap very well but does the aluminium material dent easily if pushed ?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraspberry View Post
Hi there
Has anyone had any experience of shipping a narrow bodied Airstream in a container. The narrow bodies were the 1964, 65 , 66 Caravel measuring 84inches (2.13m or 7 foot).

There is not a great deal of clearance either side but my shipper said they use thick bubble wrap. It is much cheaper to ship this way but could be risky.

Anyone done this with these models?

Thanks!
Sarah
How wide are containers? Caravels of this era are the same width as all other Airstreams of this era. 50's era 13 panel trailers were narrower than 60's era.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraspberry View Post
Thanks ideoba, i think they wrap very well but does the aluminium material dent easily if pushed ?
Yes, quite easily, unfortunately.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I have not shipped an Airstream this way, however I did ship my BMW to Germany this way. It is definitely cheaper than roll on roll off. Not the fastest way unless you are paying for the whole container movement. I was only paying for the cube of my car so I had to wait for the rest of the container to be filled. That took a month.
I think that the standard container has in interior width and height of 7'8". A High Cube container is higher 8'6" at the door.
I have been around the use of these containers for shipping Army equipment to the far reaches of the world for many years. I have seen a few of them, dropped, smashed, broken into and you name it. Yeah you could get it there this way, but I would go with roll on roll off.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Thanks Lance, i do think i need to keep researching this and talking to people who have shipped an airstream this way. it literally divides the cost of transport by 3 so is very tempting. I think it would be the high cube container aswell. Sometimes it is a pain living at the bottom of the world!!
Sarah
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi Colin
My shipper has said a max width of 2.33 m (92 inches or 7.6 foot) . Not very wide but from my research is ok for the 65,66 caravel, 62 globetrotter and 61,62 bambis. I may end up going RoRo in the end though. I will look up your website Colin as I am also looking for some sort of steer as to the cost of work done on Airstreams. Regards, sarah
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Sarah, check out the size of containers here High Cube Shipping Container - HQ, HC Dimensions Container Homes this is for the high cube. Door size is what counts. At 7'6" x 8'5" a bambi is the only thing that will fit the height. The others are at least 8'8" high without any clearance.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
This site shows Roll on Roll off Baltimore to Sydney Australia for a mid size car at $1625. That seems like a good price and a trailer would be about the same size.
International Shipping RO-RO. RO-RO ocean freight rates online.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
Hi,
I have become familiar with the shipping of Airstream trailers of recently. I have found that using the 7'6" wide, 40' length, open top container had become the standard for moving RV's. There are two ways to pack them. A container is delivered to your location and you pack. Or, you bring to port, and they will pack. Delivery works the same, only in reverse.. Hope this helps.
Best,
RJ Dominic.
Flat Creek
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote