Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Payment to U.S.

Well, it looks like the search might be coming to an end. After 6 months of looking I think I may have found my AS in Indiana. Because I am out of Edmonton I will probably get the trailer shipped home. My question is, how do I pay the owner for the trailer before the transport company gets there? Any other wise advise will not only be appreciated but cherished. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Tim
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Tim,

I'm sure you could do a foreign wire transfer from your bank to the sellers. There are usually some fees involved on both ends.

Have you seen this trailer yourself?

If not I would strongly advise doing so. It seems that when you buy sight unseen that there is a lot of disappointment on one or both ends.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Looksee

PLEEEEZE....get your peepers on it first!!!

keep us posted
Old 02-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Ditto what the others have said. And take a look at this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tor-22956.html

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Tim

Getting the money to the seller is not that big a deal - your bank will be able to give you advice on the best way to do this. A bank to bank transfer can be initiated fairly easily.

The above folks have already strongly suggested you be very cautious - we're all aware of far too many disappointing long distance purchases. Many are successful, but there are far too many that arrive in less than stellar condition.

If this were me and I could not get there on my own, or could not find someone on the forum who is able to get past and give me a qualified assessment, then I would contact an RV repair center in the same town and pay them a couple of hours worth of labor to go over and go through the trailer for me to provide their written appraisal of its condition. I'd get it faxed over so I could review it before making payment on the trailer.

Also - the shipper. Be very careful. Just recently a Forums member purchased a vintage trailer that was in pretty decent shape body wise but requiring an interior. What the shipper dropped off was a badly damaged trailer that had thousands of dollars of damage done to in transit.

Take care

Barry
Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Sight unseen, money transferred first, might be a good deal, might be a really bad deal, or might just be a scam. Be careful.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
You could use PayPal - I send money to France with it and have never had a problem. You can specify the currency you want to send and the amount and it's done. Very simple.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi timmy67
Bank transfer is the best way to pay an important amount of money abroad... It is your guaranty for the seller and for you . Some fees from your bank but you can proove your paiement if problems after.
I've done like that to buy my A/S from FRANCE.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have the payment solution... you put the cash into an envelope and send it to my PO box. Then I will go out to Indiana and give it to the seller in person.

I am joking.. go to your bank, let then do it. Do you have pictures of what you are buying? Is the trailer a private sale or a dealer? If it is a dealer they should be able to help with the arraignments.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Thanks for all of the good advice. There is a service and parts only dealership in Fort Wayne Indianna I am going to contact and see if they can do an inspection on it.

62 Overlander, I love your idea but before I can send you an envelope full of cash, I need to get your social insurance number and credit card number to verify you are who you say you are.

Have a great weekend everyone and if the deal goes through all of you on this forum are going to get sick of me going on and on about my trailer.

Tim
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy67

Have a great weekend everyone and if the deal goes through all of you on this forum are going to get sick of me going on and on about my trailer.

Tim
Hi, Tim. I don't think so! You can ask all the questions you want, post all the pictures you want, and tell us all the stories you want and we won't get sick. [we have aluminum in our systems]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote