Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Uxbridge , Ontario
Move an Airstream from California to Ontario

Hey there

Looking for a way to bring an Airstream from Santa Cruz, California to as close to the Canadian border at Ontario as is possible. I inherited my brother-in-law's Airstream last September and am trying to find a way to get it home. Any suggestions?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole
caberneigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Here are some ideas:

Google RV Moving Company

Rent a U-Haul with a hitch

See if anyone on the forums wants an adventure.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Who inherited your BIL's tow vehicle?

If you intend on keeping the trailer, the move is going to cost you some money. Perhaps you can find somebody that delivers trailers from Elkhart to at least get it back on this side of the country.

If your planning on using it, and assuming it is safe to tow, go pick out a truck and plan an adventure!

Kinda lemons/lemonade thing.

If your getting rid of it, get a hold of the local Airstream dealer and consign it.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Try uship.com
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
yuppie cowboy

2012 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Santa Cruz California

Just so happens I own a RV towing company that transports RVS and Mobile Homes and I own a 30' Limited Airstream. Santa Cruz to for example to Port Huron, Michigan would be 3,649.65. Tire and axle repairs would be at cost. I can take it into Ontario if you would like. thanking you in advance for your consideration.
larrykling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberneigh View Post
Hey there

Looking for a way to bring an Airstream from Santa Cruz, California to as close to the Canadian border at Ontario as is possible. I inherited my brother-in-law's Airstream last September and am trying to find a way to get it home. Any suggestions?

Nicole
The border crossing closest to Ontario will depend on where you live. There are three in Minnesota, four in Michigan, and seven in New York. NO matter which you choose, your Airstream will be required to clear Canadian customs. If bringing it back to the US that is not true because all Airstreams were and are made in the US only.

You might contact P&S Trailer Services. They are not shippers b ut they do ship Airstreams all over the world. They should know reliable, dependable and trust worthy shippers.

David Parker
1989 Dodge D-350
1969 Sovereign
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Hey there

Nicole
Go to Santa Cruz & rent a pick up truck from Uhaul is one option
groverpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
This can be an easy process for any company making deliveries out to CA, and brining your unit back as a 'backhaul' I am associated with 'partner companies' that do this.. And are able to deliver to Ontario if you choose..

If you need info let me know

Best of luck,

RJ
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
First decide which crossing you wish use to for importing, think Lewiston, NY is the closest if you are doing it yourself. Send the VIN number to the US customs at the crossing you use to verify that it will be allow to be exported. They will let you know if you need any papers re loans, etc. Be sure to have the title or ownership with the trailer and don't ask me why!

Ca. might tax you on the trailer if the "wheels touch the pavement" if you don't has it trailered it out of state. Fours years ago, was looking to buy a unit but didn't due to this issue.

Good luck, John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
If you intend on keeping the trailer, the move is going to cost you some money. Perhaps you can find somebody that delivers trailers from Elkhart to at least get it back on this side of the country.
This sounds like a good plan. We see private RV delivery trucks pulling all kinds of trailers from Indiana to Ontario and Quebec for delivery to the dealers. Presumably they also deliver to California and would likely take on a contract for a return trip. The unit would have to be road worthy, or they might not want to undertake the tow.

If you employ a contractor, you would need to use a broker to clear customs, and that will cost you about 6% import duties because the brokers have to show a US certificate of origin, which AS in Ohio absolutely refuse to produce for private sale...been there ..tried it. The broker also looks after paying fore the Canadian inspection to make sure the trailer meets Canadian codes. If you import the unit yourself, or can somehow be there in possession when it crosses the border then you don't need the Certificate of Origin. You do however need to stop at the US border and get the title checked as clear of any liens.

This link has a pretty good description of what you need to do.
http://petesrv.com/help/import_rv_to_canada.html
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You might get the name of the fellow that delivers trailers for the Airstream Adventures group in the bay area. BAASA ph# is (707) 428-1623. Probably only work if there is the possibility of a dead head run in your direction.

If it was mine, I would contact CanAm and identify a population of inexpensive tow vehicles, fly to Oakland, buy a TV, take the trailer to storage in your preferred location, and dispose of the TV. It would make an interesting adventure which is the whole reason for having an AS.

Then again $3650 does not sound too bad.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Hi Nicole,

Check out the Registrar of Imported Vehicles site for instructions on importing a trailer into Canada. I've done this half a dozen times with trailers and vehicles. It's not hard to do, you just have to follow the rules. We didn't have to deal with the US certificate of origin on the trailers because they were more than 15 years old, so I'm not sure about that part.

I'm not far away if there's anything I can do to help.

Grant

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #13
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
I Haul for Pete's RV, great company, and their info is perfect...
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
Where in Ontario are youHow long is your Airstream?
I might know someone who can deliver it
I have brought in quite a few vehicles and brought in my Airstream up from Arizona to BC
Nancy
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Uxbridge , Ontario
Airstream from Santa Cruz

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks so much for all the info. I am continuing to research your ideas and thoughts. Can't thank you enough for reaching out.
caberneigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I also used USHIP.COM for 2 out of state trailer purchases.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Hey there

Nicole
It appears as tough you have had numerous suggestions and offers. If you still plan to move your AS from CA to ONT here is another offer. My friend, born in Ontario and former US law enforcement officer, and I former US Army paratrooper and CID Agent can move your trailer for actual costs, e.g., fuel, campground fees, etc. We are retired and this sounds like an interesting trip. Both of us have trailering experience and are accustomed to long drives. He owns two as do I, one of mine is a 31' 1969 Sovereign. We both have Dodge trucks. Mine is a 1 ton and his is a 3/4 ton.

If you re interested let me know. We can work out the details and provide any information and references you may want so as to be comfortable with our competence and character. You may email me at davidparker6361@att.net.

If you have decided to sell your AS rather than move it please let me know. I am always interested. Thanks for your consideration.

David Parker
1969 Sovereign 31'
1989 Dodge D-350
Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Twomilehouse naas , Co.Kildare
Hi David if your interested I'm looking for a trailer to ship to Ireland and would pay a finding fee
Hurler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurler View Post
Hi David if your interested I'm looking for a trailer to ship to Ireland and would pay a finding fee
Hi and thanks for your post. Please tell me what you are looking for, model, length, etc and your budget excluding shipping costs. Also, do you plan to have any restoration work done prior to shipping the Ireland?

David Parker
Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Twomilehouse naas , Co.Kildare
Finding fee

Hi David
Thank you for the reply we are looking for a trailer 19-23ft long 7ft wide to suit Irish laws.

It doesn't matter how bad of condition the inside is as we will be doing the refit here.
Twin axle is better for what we will need.
Timing for this is from October on as this is our quiet season.

If you want to you can email me directly

Rgds

Neill
Hurler is offline   Reply With Quote