Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Gasselternijveen , drenthe
Send a message via AIM to AxelBruijnis
Long distance advice needed

I moved myself into a weird spot, I am located in the Netherlands, and bought a beautiful 1986 32ft Excella found it in the classifieds here, located in Florida (Daytona Beach ) .

I got advice from RemcoLent on shipping it, but i have no idea how to get the A/S to the port.
The previous owner never towed it, and has no tow vehicle.

Are there companies you would trust to tow a trailer from Daytona Beach to the port of Jacksonville (JAX)?

Thank you for your thoughts !

Axel & Annieta

AxelBruijnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Never used them before, but here is a link to a company I found on the web:

http://www.trailershippers.com/

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If no Florida Airstreamer steps up do a search for "Hotshot Trucking" These are brokers that move small loads from point to point in the states. They generaly use 1 ton 6 wheelers pickups and charge by the mile.

Another would be to call Airstream 937 596 6111 and see if they would put you in touch with someone that delivers Airstreams to FL and they might move it on the return trip.

I'll be in Fl. in January and if you are still stuck send me a private message, before Dec 26, and I will send you my e mail address while I am traveling. Depending on the timeing maybe I can help.

Good Luck

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
One other consideration you want to consider. Coming out of southern Fl the owner may not even know how to winterize the trailer but going into the north Atlantic in the winter you will need to have it done. Don't let them just drain the trailer and call that winterizing.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Thank you for your thoughts, will start investigating trailer shippers / hotshot /airstream from here.

HowieE good tip , i will ask the dealer to winterize it (what do they actually do then ?) I will try not to pm you, but I appriciate the offer very much.
I will post my findings here since they maybe usefull for others.

Axel
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Airstreaming in Europe!

Hi Alex,
greetings from the UK and congratulations on getting an Airstream!
My 86 Sovereign is sitting on the docks at Zeebrugge waiting for a feeder ship to Southampton. I was lucky, my seller was an absolute star and moved my AS to Newark from Boston. However, I was looking to buy in Fla and I did some research and found this link with a number of shippers. The guys are helpful and professional.
http://www.movecars.com/states/florida.htm
Have you got a shipper yet? I can give you a contact.
Regards and keep in touch!
Marc
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Infor for owners

Axel,
Here are a couple of addresses I use for info. sources. Winterizing and transport covered. Good luck.
http://www.rvuniversity.com/index.php

http://www.airstreamtrailers.com/
Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Marc, thank you for the tips ,
I emailed a few of the shippers for quotes.
The first quote i got was about 3.80 $ a mile.
the ocean crossing is covered , the excella ships jan 13th.
Do you have pictures of your 1986 sovereign ?

Melody ranch, thank you for the link on winterizing the unit, i will ask the dealer to winterize the trailer before shipping it.

reagrds, Axel
Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Hi Axel! I'll get your name right this time!

I had a few quotes for moving around and to Florida - but never that high if only pulling the trailer. Try some of the nationals - they post your job on a contractors website and independants bid for your job - I contacted Express Transporters that might be the best way to drive the price down a bit. Never forgetting you only get what you pay for. I expected you to be paying $1.50-2.50. I've got onto my home email now so I have access to an email from a guy in Fla who quoted me less than that but for a long haul.
james blazek at tutotuo@yahoo.com
I don't know his work so ask for references.
Marc
ATTACHED PICS OF MY 86 SOV

Click image for larger version

Name:	FPORT3Q.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	29530

Click image for larger version

Name:	RPORTL3Q.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	29531
Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
for hire carriers

Make certain that anyone that charges you to tow your property has a USDOT number, the authority to transport as an interstate motor carrier, and all of the necessary insurance to cover full replacement cost of your property should they get involved in an accident.

Start here:

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/SafeStatMain.asp

If they're legitimate, their information will be available on this website.

I'd say anything over $2.00 a mile is too much, and you only want to pay for "loaded" miles, i.e. the actual number of miles your trailer is attached to the hired tow vehicle. You shouldn't have to incur charges for "deadhead" miles.....the mileage the transporter would have to cover to get to where your trailer originates or after it is delivered to its destination, nor should you be responsible for any tolls, fuel, fluids, hotels, or any other expenses incurred by the operator of the truck for the truck. If they do a good job, set them up in a hotel at the destination and buy them dinner.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelBruijnis
The previous owner never towed it, and has no tow vehicle.

Are there companies you would trust to tow a trailer from Daytona Beach to the port of Jacksonville (JAX)?

Thank you for your thoughts !

Axel & Annieta
I can't help you with a company to tow it, but are you sure that it is in a condition to be towed, since it may not have been on the road recently. People drive pretty fast on the interstate highway between Daytona and Jacksonville, FL.

John
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking Wade Transport......here in Florida....I trust them....

i just used this tranport company to move a 1989 30 foot from New Jersey to Orlando....it arrives today....

Wade Transport....770-519-7070 .....(Rocky and Jodi Wade)

a large 3500 series dually, exceptional service and communications from start to end....phone calls....emails....pictures before and after....they greased bearings...greased axels...went to the tire store and put new tires on....all this extra and no increase in cost....NJ to FL 1060 miles cost 975.00...total...plus tires of course....this couple currently has over 70 feedbacks from satisfied customers....all positive....this may save you money and add a piece of mind to your moves...read their feedbacks...they move trailers all the time....several airstreams in feedbacks as well...

(i have no connections with this couple....only that i am extremly happy with the service they provided to me in moving my airstream over 1000 miles...and i hope that they may be able to help others out as they have me....)

i found this couple on USHIP.com....this sites finds haulers for everything from dogs to yachts...currently several airstreams moves are listed...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
JakBluMule, good point, i didn't get to many quotes. I "shopped" for rates wednesday , and from the 12 companies i mailed / filled out webforms, only 1 responded, and an other one told me they didn't do things that big.

John, Thank you for the suggestion. The dealer will check the trailer ( and winterize it ) it before gets towed to the port , i specificly asked to check bearings as well. so i presume it should be ok. The PO had it for about 2 years. and the wheels have been covered while it was at its curent spot.

regards,
Axel
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #14
Craftsman

Marc, Thats a sweet looking 86 Sovereign. Is the condition as good as the pictures show it to be? If it is , you've got yourserlf a really nice Airstream. I really like the windows with the aluminum frames. They should have never done away with them.
Jack