Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Stoke on Trent , England
Is there a way I can import a newer airstream from the usa to the uk and still tow on?

I am wanting to import a newer airstream (2000s) from the usa to the uk. Here they are so expensive but after having a good scout I have realised I could afford a newer airstream but only if I purchased via America. I am unsure of the rules regarding towing, size ect. I also have a pick up truck that I want to use to tow my airstream. Is this possible to do? Or can I only do this with the vintage airstreams? Please help!
tanyamodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Typically, the Euro construction codes for towables are different. Hitch is usually a surge type, smaller connector. Trailers have different reflector markings, lights. And the trailers are lighter. Not sure how easy it would be to make the changes.

Perhaps you could discuss with an Airstream dealer in the UK?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hitch, connector, brakes, marker lights, weight...all good things to look into with regards to your local codes. I also think the UK/European trailers are generally narrower to meet the road standards and the electrical is wired differently 230V vs 120V.

The vintage Airstream trailers are narrower than the current models which is what makes them desirable in UK/Europe. They usually are due for a restoration as well, so the electrical and appliances can easily be made adaptable to European standards at that time.

I would also guess, by the time you add in shipping & taxes on a "made for America" model Airstream and made the electrical/towing changes, your price would be higher than a "standard" UK/European model. Your best bet would be to find a gently used UK/European "newer" model to purchase from someone there - they will have already taken the "new" hit in the cost. BTW, most people consider newer Airstreams "so expensive" here too.

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

120 60Hz -> 240 50Hz conversion means replacing the A/C unit(s). Same thing with the microwave. You would need a different converter / charger. On the up side, a 20+ year old trailer may need them replaced anyway.

Sewage management in Europe is different than in the US. They seem to all use cassette toilets rather than black tanks.

At some point (depending on model) the "wide body" trailers came out. I would *not* want to try to tow a 8.5' wide trailer through some parts of Europe.

As mentioned above, signal lights / hitches / brakes / tow vehicle cables are all different in Europe.

How much of that *must* be done before you can get it off the boat is unclear to me.

Some basic math:

$25,000 2000 Trailer in reasonable shape
$ 9,000. Two new A/C units, installed
$ 1,000. Small stuff like new breakers
$ 1,000. Transport to the port in the US
$ 3,500. Transport over the ocean
$ 1,000. Transport in the UK to get it to you
$ 2,000 Plumbing
$ 4,000. Surge brakes (a guess)
$ 1,000. Paperwork / registration / title
$ 1,000 Inspection(s) / certifications
$ ?????? Trip to the US to see the beast and do the paperwork
$ ?????? Other stuff
$ ?????? Renovation
$ ?????? Taxes

Roughly $50K to $60K before it gets to you. Maybe another $15K to $25K to polish it up inside. You might well spend another $10K on the trailer to be more sure of it's condition. All of the numbers are *very* rough and depend on a whole bunch of things ..... Figure a year or two to get it all to come together.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Scenic , Arizona
Uncle Bob , I respectfully , wonder where you get your A/C's and breakers for the panel. $10,000 seems like a military contract price. The last A/C I bought about 4 years ago was well under $1000, and if I were to guess , there's only about 6-8 breakers in my 25' AS. Probably the worst scenario would be $12 each.
Another real possibility is a 240V-120V transformer customized to be used just for the AS. Probably way less than $500 for a 5KVA xfmr.
Better yet , send me the $50-60K and I'll deliver it to Stoke-On-Trent .
dieppe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Great idea

There is a thread on an AS that was imported to France. You may not get much which applies to the UK, but it's background on some of the logistics issues.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f210...lu-175788.html

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
......just don't forget to add the 25% 'dumpage tax' that has recently been added to any vehicle import under 30 years of age into the UK from the US (it is supposed to cover steel, but also covers any vehicle with a steel frame).

So you now have the import duty and then the dumpage tax and the two together represent a near 50% mark-up.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Unless you don't mind spending money to make all the necessary conversion requirements, go for it.

You are better off buying one from overseas than trying to bring one from the US.

The only practical use would be if the AS is stationary, then all you would need is converting the power.

What is your reasoning for doing so if you don't mind me asking?
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Hayfield , Derbyshire
Hi
I think your biggest problem is going to be the tow vehicle, you can tow a trailer (caravan) upto 24' (or 7m) long excluding the draw bar and I think roughly 8' wide, over that you need a 3.5 ton truck, a long wheel base rear wheel drive transit will do. BUT the hitch weight is the killer, most UK vehicles have tiny hitch weights compared to the US, a Land Rover (or similar) is 150kg, so well below the hitch weight of a US Airstream hitch weight. A Ford Ranger Wildtrak has the best hitch weigh of 225kg, not sure of its total towing capacity or vehicle class though. I wouldn't worry about electric brakes as they are legal in the UK providing you use the right controllers, and the tow ball size doesn't matter if you are towing with a commercial vehicle as weirdly commercial vehicle towing kit doesn't have to be type approved. You may have to put amber indicators on the Airstream too.
UKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
no, not feasible. The EURO towing specs are very different than NA.

the MAX hitch capacity is VERY low.
it was designed this way to STOP normal people from towing larger trailers. They also dont have the same 7 way connector as the EURO std was not designed to work with the modern brakes

The electrical and plumbing standards are different. EURU does not allow grey/black tank dumping or hoses. They only support the cassette system.

thus it is neither simple/nor practical.
'AS does make one model for the UK. just google airtream uk
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I checked UK towing regs. it appears that a Bambi or Sport model are legal regarding width, length & weight. Another benefit would be that many SUVs are capable of towing these lighter trailers, perhaps a Toureg or Range Rover even a diesel Sprinter van that could be sourced in Britain saving shipping and any import duties.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieppe9 View Post
Uncle Bob , I respectfully , wonder where you get your A/C's and breakers for the panel. $10,000 seems like a military contract price. The last A/C I bought about 4 years ago was well under $1000, and if I were to guess , there's only about 6-8 breakers in my 25' AS. Probably the worst scenario would be $12 each.
Another real possibility is a 240V-120V transformer customized to be used just for the AS. Probably way less than $500 for a 5KVA xfmr.
Better yet , send me the $50-60K and I'll deliver it to Stoke-On-Trent .
Hi

First off, you can't run a 60Hz motor on 50Hz power. There just isn't enough iron in the beast. Second off, simply *finding* an A/C unit that will fit is not at all easy. The power center and wiring will all have to be pulled and converted to European standard parts. That includes all the outlets and switches. Not a small task at all ....

The Dometic Penguin's are $1,500 each for the US version before you pay anything for the install. If somebody is doing the work for you, chances are each one will cost you over $500 in labor .... it does add up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

I would not recommend this.

I live in Cornwall, England, and have owned, maintained and towed an Airstream in Florida for the past 20 years. Based on that gained experience and knowledge I would not do as you suggest. The Euro Airstreams have aluminium sandwich construction floors, alleviating the Achilles Heel of USA built Airstreams - floor rot from water ingress. The width accords with the U.K restrictions, and they are designed to be towed with European vehicles.
The only way I would import a USA Airstream would be, as suggested above, to take it on a low-loader from the arrival port to land where it could be used as a static cabin. That would be a load of fun.
Nick.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lymington , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Hi, my reply is a bit late for the OP but might help others.
We purchased a Globe Trotter sight unseen from Utah for $11000 back in 2012. Arranged a haul from Utah to Ft Lauderdale for around $750. Sea freight to Southampton cost around $1500. Paid taxes on arrival which along with clearance charges added another £1500. Had it delivered on a small loader from Southampton to New Forest for £100.
Ripped out innards and replaced ply floor. Cut off US hitch and had new UK sized coupling welded and bolted to A frame. Added an electric brake module to wife’s Shogun and added EU legal indicators to AS. Had to replace all window seals as they (and the Globetrotter) were 50 yo. Found it easy to tow with the 3L Shogun, but then got distracted buying a yacht and the part project sat in back paddock for near two years. Placed an ad in the UK and sold in 48 hours for £10000. Wish I had completed the project as now about to spend £90000 on a new one - when in truth a vintage would be much more our style. But age means no time to waste on renovation - so happy with what’s planned for next few years. But don’t listen to nearsayers saying don’t do it. There’s work involved, but if you’ve the time and inclination, it can certainly save you over buying one already in Europe. Good luck.