Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Insurance

I wonder if any one can help.
I have just bought a 310 MH and it will be shipped to the UK shortly. I want to insure the vehicle while sitting at the dock in the USA for about a week or so, then during the ocean travel right up to its arrival in Southampton. Then my normal UK MH Insurance will take over when it leaves the Dock.
I have been told insurance for a 1983 RV is near impossible. Has any one a similar experience or perhaps could help in locating an insurer.
Thanks
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Chuckles,

Try giving Geico a call. I've been with them forever, and I've never had a problem at all...1-800-841-3000.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lloyds of London...I have heard they will write insurance for anything Seriously I would contact an insurance company on your side of the pond for shippers insurance. Over here I would call a comercial freight company and ask who they use.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Thank you for your help

Thanks chaps (and chapesses) for your input. I think it is going to be a non-starter.
I did try the suggestions above but as I am in the UK; USA insurers do not want to know, the UK insurers are likewise, and the shippers just do not reply.

One chap over here doesn't bother, as he said the hassle of trying to recover some recent losses was more trouble than it was worth!

Just repair any damage and get on with it!

I hope it doesnt come to that so pass the Valium - and MORE DRINK!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Hi
I'm new to this as well. I found this guy very helpful, they have a website with the terms and conditions but I cant find the link just now. Give them a call
Sharon

http://www.american-caravans.co.uk/airstream-insurance-caravan-protection-plus.html
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Hi there, I am sure you will enjoy this world once you get your feet wet.

If you are able to find someone to insure your vehicle, remember that the coverage will be for what the insurer deems the value of your rig to be... not necessarily what you paid for it. They will gladly take your premiums for whatever value you care to cover but won't pay for more than the "value". I would suggest you agree on what the value is before hand if that is possible.

Best of luck.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Well....it's on its way out of Galveston, so I am led to believe, and no insurance cover possible!
The shipping date is today (24th), so fingers crossed, and watch this space ...
If; IF, it gets here in one piece, no scratches, dents or bits missing, .... there is going to be one **** of a party!
We have the champers ready (to drink....! not crash over her bow - sorry, bonnet - sorry, for the benifit of those across the pond - HOOD).

Any one in the Southampton area mid december ... look out there may be an Airstream about! (I think I am getting a little excited!)

Chuck
Old 11-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Chuck,

Is the shipping (literally "shipping "in this case) company not responsible for any damage that THEY inflict during this?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Chuckles;

is your MH arrived in good shape and in one piece?.

I supose than usually, shippings are made safely and you 've found your MH in the same condition than in his departure from USA.

Tell us !

welcome in Europe.

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Apparently! it's (the 310) still at sea, hopefully to arrrive in Southampton around 16th December.

Regarding liabilities, it seems no one, and I mean no one, accepts any thing of anthing! It's a case case "grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it!" I may be wrong but that's how it came back to me.

Needless to say I will keep you all informed of the time it took, and the conditions it arrive in.......

Chuck

PS thank for all your concerns and support
Old 12-17-2005, 06:53 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Another Airstream MH In the UK!

Its arrived! the 310 that is, although I cannot bring it home yet, we are still waiting for the original Bill of Lading to be lodged by the shipper.

Undeterred we went to Southampton Docks Friday to check it out.

Amazingly it would appear that most loose items have not been touched, the Nutone blender was still on board and the spares, including road fuel had not been rifled! I recently heard from a couple of friends that had a Winnebago shipped over, that most of their fuel was taken.

However, there was considerable damage.
The drivers side amidships, had a lot of dents and scratches around the water heater cover, which itself was badly damaged, and the scratches continued right up that side. There was also a few dents on the front end as well as the rear awning support rail. Inside, the front passenger-side dash panel was broken. It will be a waste of time remonstrating with the shippers as they have clearly stated that they are not responsible for anything.

I think all things considered, we came out of it very well. I must admit I had visions of the engine not starting and the vehicle being towed about. A recent GMC was badly damaged that way, and while we were at the docks we saw a car with similar, very bad front bumper damage.

Cant quite work out the operations and sequences of the dead-lock and the lever on the door frame. Many experiments will hopefully solve that one. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

The engine and generator started up no hesitation, apart from some rattles underneath from the fan cowling,.

I noticed that there are three batteries visible under the hardwood cover, and with a very quick look seemed to appear to be all leisure batteries, or is there another engine/chassis battery somewhere.

We did not try the awning or the levelling legs just in case we couldn't get them back! The dockside is not the place to experiment!

In all we are pleased with the beast, as we both appreciate her age, so there are a lot of plans to, stage by stage, bring her back to glory. My biggest task is to restore the body panels around the damaged area. A replacement for the water heater cover will be priority, any one have any thoughts on that?.

Also we need a couple of the amber high front marker lenses, does anyone have some? Mary has ear-marked the curtains and bathroom.

One great thing, the number plates were left on it! so that will make moving it around here so much easier. The police tend to ignore foreign plates, well the first time at any rate. Two or three sightings may create a few raised eye-brows before the... ".. . 'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what 'ave we 'ere then? - are we a comedian ?.....emmmm ,...sir!"
Leave you to work that one out.

I am looking forward to Monday, hopefully all the final paper work is completed, and I can drive her home.

Mary & Chuck