Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #1

1989 5th Wheel
Leslie , Michigan
Importing a used Airstream into Canada

I would like to purchase a used Airstream in the US and title it in Canada
Any clues on how to do this?
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide
You should be able to find what you need here: http://www.riv.ca/
If you buy a vehicle that is more than 15 years old it will be easier, but even for a newer one it shouldn't be too difficult. Before you finalize the deal you should call RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) with the VIN and they'll tell you if any modifications will be necessary.

We imported a 1964 Overlander in 1998 and there was no inspection or fees other than the usual sales tax and GST.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm in the process of finalizing my purchase of a new Airstream in the U.S. and importing into Canada (Ontario). As Grant stated, if the Airstream is more than 15 years old it's smoother sailing than if it's 15 years old or newer.

That being said this hasn't been a horrendous procedure. Once I have it completely finalized I plan on posting a start to finish thread on the subject, but here are the salient points (again, this is for trailers 15 yrs old and newer):

1- As Grant stated, check www.riv.ca - but if it's a trailer you're looking to import (rather than an Airstream motorhome) it's admissible.

2 - After you purchase it you'll head back across the border. There the customs officials will fill out what's called a Form 1. This opens a case file with Transport Canada's RIV program (Registrar of Imported Vehicles), and you'll pay $206 to RIV as well as the GST (6% of the total purchase price).

*Important here - Form 1 in my case was filled out by hand by a young Customs official. I don't think handwriting skills were his forte in school - which delayed the progress in my case as all the documentation needed to proceed to the next level was mailed to a very wrong address (this could have been avoided on other levels but I won't get into that now). Just make sure things are legible.*

3. RIV will send you what's called Form 2, stating the issues the federal inspector will have to check. This was a piece of cake. Canadian Tire stores have federal inspectors in major centres across the country. All our inspector did was check the VIN, check the GVWR, and the tire pressure ratings. After we got our stamp on the Form 1 we were on our way (he keeps the Form 2).

4. At this point you can bring your paperwork into an Ontario (I'm assuming it's Ontario due to your being in Michigan?) Ministry of Transportation licensing office. You'll need the title, bill of sale, the stamped Form 1 and lots of cash! Just kidding. It's $20 to license something, but not sure if you'd have to pay that if you're not a resident. The kicker is to pay the 8% Provincial Sales Tax on the sale price. After that you get your license (or tag as it's called in the U.S.).

That's it!

If your trailer is 15 years old or older, you get to skip all the RIV stuff, and pay the 6% GST and 8% Prov. Sales Tax (for Ontario anyway - all provinces vary in their tax rates, if they have any, such as Alberta).

Good luck!

-Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Port Moody , BC
Hi Michelle. I'm here in BC. Do I understand correctly? If I import a trailer older than 15 years I can skip the RIV, but I still need to have it inspected at Canadian Tire?

Thanks for the info .......Jim
jwe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We just brought a 79 Argosy from MD. to Ontario and just had to pay GST. No problems at all, didn't even have tags on it. The only thing they questioned was, we had a recipt from the person we bought it from and they wanted to see another form of proof of purchace, Like a money order etc. but finally let us go. I think it was because we payed $1500.00 for it so the officer finally walked around the trailer, looked inside and said he wouldn't have payed more than $1500.00 either, have a good day. Jim we have registered the trailer and didn't have to have any other inspections done.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know if it helps, but I am in Lapeer, MI, and someone from Ontario came and bought my Airstream Excella back in 2002. They had me sign over the title and write out a detailed bill of sale. It SEEMED like there was some other Canadian paper I had to sign, but I don't remember exactly. They did talk about having to pay some kind of tax, but the trailer was over 15 years old. I have wondered if there is somewhere to advertise in Canada, just because I am only an hour away from Sarnia, and I have a 1978 Argosy for sale.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I have brought in 4 airstreams that are over 15 years. Just pull up to the border and tell them what you bought. They will send you in to the office and do the Form 1 for you. They will want to see the bill of sale and title or registration from the US. They sometimes don't even look at the trailer but can search it if they want.
You pay GST right there on the sale price.
When you want it licenced in Ontario, take the Form 1 and the US registration to a licence office and they will collect PST and issue a licence. No inspection needed but you may have to have it weighed if there is no weight on the US title or registration.
You can't get the Ontario licence without the Form 1 from customs.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies
I don't know if it helps, but I am in Lapeer, MI, and someone from Ontario came and bought my Airstream Excella back in 2002. They had me sign over the title and write out a detailed bill of sale. It SEEMED like there was some other Canadian paper I had to sign, but I don't remember exactly. They did talk about having to pay some kind of tax, but the trailer was over 15 years old. I have wondered if there is somewhere to advertise in Canada, just because I am only an hour away from Sarnia, and I have a 1978 Argosy for sale.
Check out www.autotrader.ca - they have an automotive, truck, and also one that includes RV's, in print and/or on-line.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I was wondering, what about going the other way ? What is involved in bringing an AS into the states from Canada ? Has anyone ever bought in Canada and brought into the US ?
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We brought a trailer from Ontario to the US last year and sold it. All I had to do was take it to Customs, they just looked at the numbers on the plate outside, on the front of the trailer and the sticker in the cabinet above the fridg. filled out some papers and away we went. There wasen't any charge for this. The new owner didn't have any trouble getting it registered.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank-you Barry!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #12

star , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies View Post

how much are you asking and a contact please
semloh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Sorry, the trailer has been sold awhile ago. Good luck finding one! If you are looking for something in particular can keep an eye out here in Michigan if you want.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chatham , Ontario
I am in the process of purchasing a Airstream Motor Home in Mephis Tn and would like to know what trailler compy or broker to contact and have it delivered to my home in Canad
Your comments would really appreciated
Ken
kenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
I just imported an 1983 Motor Home on 6/20/11 and the first thing I did is go to riv.ca and they have all the information and they also websites for us customs etc.
1 thing I ran into this time, was you have to fax a copy of the title to the usa customs at least 72 hours in advance and for some reason when you go to the customs usa, the 1st thing they ask for is a copy of the title fax. This has never happened to me before, but one thing I learned never try to question them on anything, they get very upset, however on the Canadian side it's a breeze all they want is your GST
kenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjoe View Post
I just imported an 1983 Motor Home on 6/20/11 and the first thing I did is go to riv.ca and they have all the information and they also websites for us customs etc.
1 thing I ran into this time, was you have to fax a copy of the title to the usa customs at least 72 hours in advance and for some reason when you go to the customs usa, the 1st thing they ask for is a copy of the title fax. This has never happened to me before, but one thing I learned never try to question them on anything, they get very upset, however on the Canadian side it's a breeze all they want is your GST
This is the same for any car /truck/ MH. they want to make sure there isnt any leins
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
For camper trailers, there is no requirement for the 72 hour notice... just show up, have a bill of sale and the title in hand, and they'll do the rest. I'm importing my 2nd Airstream in 3 years, and it's easy.

For getting someone else to move the trailer, try uShip.com. It's like eBay in reverse... you list your item, where you want it moved from and to, and people bid. Many of them are registered carriers so then you don't have to worry about permits or insurance. They can also arrange a broker. Or, you can go right to a broker site like Pacific, and they can provide a quote for both shipping AND brokerage. Roughly, you'll find the average hauler wants about $1 a mile each way...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

St thomas , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies View Post
Sorry, the trailer has been sold awhile ago. Good luck finding one! If you are looking for something in particular can keep an eye out here in Michigan if you want.
Hi Froggies,

I live in London ON and would really appreciate if you could keep an eye out for us. We are looking for a 25-28 foot AS. Ideally, 2004 and up, and for around 25-30K US.

Neither my husband and I are super handy, so we would like it to be road-worthy and safe for our family.

Any assistance would be great!
cojo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
import new As 22fb from NY state into ON canada

i just registered here

https://www.riv.ca/

you need the VIN

it cost over C$333 today ie Apr 2017
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote